British Television

Not sure who is airing it in Australia but It’s a Sin is probably the best UK drama series in the last couple of years - all the more impactful I think airing now than had it aired pre-COVID.

2 Likes

It is on Stan in Australia.

2 Likes

I finished watching it last night - one of the best shows I’ve seen in a while (which also includes Davies’ last show Years & Years)

I cant see it getting a FTA run here which is a shame

2 Likes
2 Likes

Test Cricket will air free to air in the UK for the first time in 16 years after C4 picked up the India v England 4-test series in a last minute deal, with regular broadcaster Sky Sports said to have opted not to bid. It is believed they got the rights for as little as £5m - the asking price was £20m.

C4 broadcast Test Cricket from 1999-2005 after taking over the rights from the BBC and are widely credited with how they modernised the broadcasting of the game and fondly remembered for the 2005 Ashes series, the last Test series shown free to air. They controversially lost the rights to pay TV broadcast Sky Sports. In 2019 though they picked up the highlights package for the Cricket World Cup and showed the final live.

2 Likes

Wow. Good to see. Is it main channel coverage? I presume it’s a Star English broadcast simulcast.

Yes, it’s on the main channel taking the Star commentary, with Rishi Persad hosting (who is familar enough to viewers having hosted content, mainly racing, for the BBC, ITV and C4). Alastair Cook and Andrew Strauss are alternating as pundits.

It’s very last minute and quite a simple production but has been almost unanimously praised - stll alot of goodwill to C4 for what they did with cricket. The time of day it airs (tests begin at 4am) also mean much of the coverage is ad free.

Yeah - starts at 4am and runs through to 11am, displaces mainly repeats

Did they use Mambo #5?

2 Likes

Yep - it was used in the intro and in a montage to close out the day’s coverage

3 Likes

John Humphrys has revealed he is stepping down as host of BBC’s Mastermind in March this year, after 18 years.

2 Likes

Is TV comedy in its death throes? Glance through this week’s schedules and the prognosis isn’t promising. There’s the sum total of one homegrown sitcom in Channel 4’s Back - a brilliant show but one that barely registers a blip on the public’s radar. This is joined by a trio of repeats (Dad’s Army, Mrs Brown’s Boys, Plebs) and a pair of US imports (Ramy, The Simpsons). Hardly a healthy level of hilarity.

Having watched a fair amount of the recent (over the last few years) output of British Comedy, it hasnt been great (barring some standouts).

Premium drama is very much the current in vogue flavour and the broadcasters are gravitating that way

1 Like

I think comedy on BBC has become more ljke toilet humor especially such shows as Mrs Brown’s Boys Humor is just toilwr humor .

Gordon was a guest on The Graham Norton Show on 10 tonight, where a preview clip of Bank Balance was aired.

It lost around half it’s viewers from night one to two - but somehow won it’s slot with just 1.9m viewers against fairly weak competition. It’ll get crushed by Gogglebox tonight though.

To be fair Gordon isn’t too bad at all but the concept seems flawed as in it’s virtually impossible to win and the episodes are so slow you won’t see a complete game play out in a single episode. So far the contestants have been quite unlikeable as well.

I remember flicking around and found a show called Gordon Ramsey on Cocaine. I was disappointed, as I thought he filmed himself being on cocaine and running amok. :laughing:

4 Likes

So pumped for this. I’d re-watch all five series again if I didn’t fear coming away speaking like Superintendent Ted Hastings for a week after it. It’ll be interesting to see if shooting during Covid had an effect on the quality of the production.

1 Like