British Television

I guess so.
No real reason why Not
It would increase their Share of ad market

Channel 5 is growing quite strongly

This would ensure itv remains dominant in commercial show across The 2 networks

No they wouldn’t close 4. It’s got huge brand value and equity and Doesnt really cross over with ITV too much. They are two very different formats and brand propositions

Channel 4 is much loved in Britain. Ratings r not massive - but I think everyone blues it place in the entertainment and cultural landscape

3 Likes

I wonder why is Channel 5 making the retrospective and not the BBC?

1 Like

Same reason the Hey Hey specials are on 7 and not 9?

Obviously BBC weren’t interested and didn’t think there would be an appetite for a special.

2 Likes

The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Celebration will broadcast live from the private grounds of Windsor Castle on May 15, the final night of the four-day Platinum Jubilee Celebration arena event.

1 Like

What does Tom Cruise have to do with the Queen’s 90 years on the throne?

1 Like

Probably thinks he’s been in Britain long enough to get a knighthood now. :joy:

I won’t link to everything but been a crazy few weeks for reality TV news. First the rumoured return of Pop Idol after 19 years (it was replaced by The X Factor after two series), then the Big Brother rumours last week with talks about it returning next year on ITV2.

This week another global franchise long forgotten in the UK is set to make a return with the BBC interested in bringing back Survivor, which like Pop Idol was axed after two series by ITV way back in 2002.

And now the show that replaced it, I’m a Celebrity, is reportedly alongside wishing to return to Australia for it’s live series in October/November will also pre-record an All Stars series in South Africa over the summer which is planned to air next Spring, but will be bought forward if Australia is off the table once again.

2 Likes

Maybe she’s a scientologist too? :joy:

1 Like

What about Channel 4 or 5 bringing back Survivor, will they be interested? I reckon that big brother should be on main ITV channel spreading the schedule out similar to I’m a celebrity hope to achieve high ratings

Probably not - Daryl’s doing Dancing with the Stars on Seven again, may have something to do with that one.

On topic though, as for Five airing it - regardless of whether a modern BBC would want to touch it anyway - why not? :man_shrugging: It became practically part of 80s British cultural history and not just BBC history, and with Five not having existed in the 1980s, I guess they can’t be seen in an odd position to take it like an ITV would?

No doubt Daryl being on 7 probably contributed to it but they aren’t under any obligation to air those specials, considering the program never aired on their network and could’ve been highly risky.

I’ve long suspected that Daryl only agreed to DWTS if Seven aired Hey Hey.

Survivor on C4 and C5 has been rumoured previously but usually turns out to be a Survivor like show rather than Survivor, most recently with The Bridge on C4. I do think it would be a good fit though either weekly on C4 or stripped across a few weeks on E4.

Similarly Big Brother is a much better fit for ITV2 than the main channel and Love Island has shown the potential audience would find it there anyway. ITV couldn’t really give over a couple of months of their schedule to it in the same way that ITV2 can - and I think airing it on ITV2 takes the pressure off any relaunch and gives it a better chance of success.

Any reason why it could not work on main ITV channel? Maybe too many programmes aimed at older audiences being commissioned and taking up mostly ITV slots that is why Big Brother will not able to air on the main channel.

Because they have quality and premium programs on the main channel.

These Quality Premium programmes produced in the UK certainly targets at the older age group which is not like in US, Australia and New Zealand programmes they produce and high aimed at the masses, also American and Australiasian networks have these trashy programmes on their main channel at prime time to drive up ratings

UK advertisers do not chase demo ratings as much as AU and US.

ITV Is funded by advertisers but Uk advertisers seem happy to pay to reach all people

In Australia and US advertisers favour under 54s

So each country targets programming to the age groups that make them the most money

Channel 5 have been doing this quite often recently, Last of The Summer Wine, Wogan and Hi-de-Hi! are other shows to have this treatment, and all are BBC.

With Channel 5 pivoting to an older demographic, it appears to be a tactic to get those viewers tuning in, as the channels has previously been rather tabloid in style.

I could go on all day about my thoughts on the channel, but I’ll save that for another day.

1 Like

It is the same in New Zealand TV Which programming targets under 54s too

True they don’t on the main channel but on the spin off channels they are more focused, hence why ITV2 is a better fit for Big Brother than the main channel and can potentially even get better ratings as seen with Love Island, which sees ITV2 beat ITV regularly in the 9pm slot when it’s on air.

C5 does itself no favours dedicating hours to programmes and personalities from other channels - it’s just a reminder they’ve had virtually no breakthrough hits of their own. Indeed they had their 25th anniversary last month and did absolutely nothing to mark it because they haven’t got too much to show for it - mainly as the channel seems to change direction every 5 years or so.

1 Like