British Television

A post was merged into an existing topic: BBC

W launched as a FTA channel at midday Monday UK time. It held a launch event last Friday.

1 Like

Channel 4 to be privatised. :confused:

4 Likes

Wow. This is big.

1 Like

Who could be a likely buyer?

Channel 5, ITV and Sky won’t like this.

It means Channel 4 will need to move to a profitable more mainstream place

5 Likes

Maybe Warner Bros. Discovery might buy C4 - saw that mentioned a couple of times on TVLive Forum

It would be very worrying to have America own Three UK broadcasters. Channel 5 (Paramount), Sky (Comcast)

1 Like

I agree with with Warner Bros Discovery already owns Three in New Zealand, but it would be a worry for British independent production companies who have links with Channel 4

ITV is by far most likely contender according to most reporting today in UK

1 Like

Why? channel 5 UK, Sky have only expanded UK originals output quite considerably under american ownership

Sky is building massive new sound stages now in Lóndon - they have a mammoth originals pipeline

Paramount + UK launching soon with a half doZen or so originals

The Americans have expanded Uk production considerably

So ITV would own two networks? How would that work? Would they close 4?

I guess so.
No real reason why Not
It would increase their Share of ad market

Channel 5 is growing quite strongly

This would ensure itv remains dominant in commercial show across The 2 networks

No they wouldn’t close 4. It’s got huge brand value and equity and Doesnt really cross over with ITV too much. They are two very different formats and brand propositions

Channel 4 is much loved in Britain. Ratings r not massive - but I think everyone blues it place in the entertainment and cultural landscape

3 Likes

I wonder why is Channel 5 making the retrospective and not the BBC?

1 Like

Same reason the Hey Hey specials are on 7 and not 9?

Obviously BBC weren’t interested and didn’t think there would be an appetite for a special.

2 Likes

The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee Celebration will broadcast live from the private grounds of Windsor Castle on May 15, the final night of the four-day Platinum Jubilee Celebration arena event.

1 Like

What does Tom Cruise have to do with the Queen’s 90 years on the throne?

1 Like

Probably thinks he’s been in Britain long enough to get a knighthood now. :joy:

I won’t link to everything but been a crazy few weeks for reality TV news. First the rumoured return of Pop Idol after 19 years (it was replaced by The X Factor after two series), then the Big Brother rumours last week with talks about it returning next year on ITV2.

This week another global franchise long forgotten in the UK is set to make a return with the BBC interested in bringing back Survivor, which like Pop Idol was axed after two series by ITV way back in 2002.

And now the show that replaced it, I’m a Celebrity, is reportedly alongside wishing to return to Australia for it’s live series in October/November will also pre-record an All Stars series in South Africa over the summer which is planned to air next Spring, but will be bought forward if Australia is off the table once again.

2 Likes

Maybe she’s a scientologist too? :joy:

1 Like

What about Channel 4 or 5 bringing back Survivor, will they be interested? I reckon that big brother should be on main ITV channel spreading the schedule out similar to I’m a celebrity hope to achieve high ratings