Nine/Fairfax Merger superthread

Noticed Mark Riley couldn’t help himself on Seven News tonight. Something like “Australia’s number two television network merging with Australia’s number two newspaper company.”

6 Likes

The top half of the front page tomorrow.

1 Like

A snippet on the Telegraph’s front page.

1 Like

So with the Nine Fairfax Merger, what will happen to two New Zealand Newspapers - The Dominion Post and The Press (Christchurch)? Will they cut ties?

This would have to be the least funniest thing I’ve seen in a while.

How insulting. Clear demonstration of Murdoch’s anti-Fairfax agenda.

Some of that was funny, but yes the irony being pointed out is that Nine only care about shameless promotion,.

Could Be worse though…

Don’t think there’s anything wrong with that front page. If your comment is referring to the headline, several journalists expressed similiar thoughts today (not to mention that it’s technically correct)

just years of payback , now sing along with me

“Old man Rupert he ain’t what he used to be
ain’t what he used to be
ain’t what he used to be
Old man Rupert …”

1 Like

Could have at least thrown in a Coles Vs Aldi reference.

1 Like

Mexicans, I mean Victorians would be like why is he only saying NSW v QLD …

1 Like

Nine and News have said the Your Money business channel joint venture is going ahead. Hugh Marks told The Australian:

And a News spokeswoman said:

1 Like

If it got past the Commerce Commission… would they see this like the NZ Herald & Stuff merger, or more like when Sky acquired Prime NZ? I have a feeling they wouldn’t allow it, as it gives a massive chunk of media control to one player (Radio+Newspapers/Web, I doubt the TV arm would be an impediment).

Actually, it’s interesting to note that up until the 80s, the Herald owned quite a large chunk of NBN, second to the Lamb family IIRC.

2 Likes

You’re forgetting this is all permissible following the media ownership law reforms last year.

1 Like

pure speculation on my end :slight_smile:

Their is a lot of duplication of content type, so I would expect that some content types would be merged together , this is where issues start as once you take away choice from the consumer the market basically falls out of favor for a long time with the content provider, this is the risk with 9/Fairfax and its risk they won’t handle that well.

I think the media ownership laws in New Zealand are a bit different to Australia’s?

1 Like

Print audiences aren’t a mirror image of broadcast ones. I would suggest the Fairfax metro audiences (definitely AFR) skew towards higher income earners and more educated individuals, as opposed to the Nine tv network. You wouldn’t make all the content the same because that would diminish capacity to create targeted, advertiser friendly news products.