Nine/Fairfax Merger superthread

1 Like
1 Like

If it were any other kind of media merger they’d be running with some negative, fearful headline. So much for ‘independent always’.

2 Likes
1 Like

Old Paul has forgotten that Fairfax in Sydney was broken up by Warwick Fairfax Jnr. Warwick’s ill-fated privatisation of the company led to the sale of ATN7 and the Macquarie radio network. That existing ownership was grandfathered under Keating’s media ownership changes and did not have to be sold unless the ownership changed.

I was looking at more dedicated duplication like Car Advice & Drive, Finder & Smarter Living, Honey with Food & Traveller.

the new NINE can’t continue to run what are current “satellite” office websites while bringing in propriety Fairfax content sites and be expected onsell o the same ad rates, either they combined properties like Car Advice & Drive (and I would think Drive is the more valuable as that carries classifies advertising) or terminate or spin off.

Nine paid $35 million for Car Advice about 18 months ago and that site has gone downhill since then with a lot of staff turn over and less advertising (the people I work for pulled all advertising from them and I know many others did too when it was sold to Nine), that is one example.

If Nine elect to keep both then the advertising spots will be spread thin which hurts both properties and will in turn lead to worse content (which is getting worse every day at Car Advice).

I agree that makes sense.

Why so? A change in content direction or?

Long running dispute, over a B2B transaction, so ween Car Advice was bought by Nine the company pulled out of advertising with them.

I have no personal issues with anyone at Car Advice but with a high turn over of staff and lower levels of quality content and more and more “user reviews” you can see why it’s falling behind other motoring review and opinion websites and that has directly to do with Nine buying them.

2 Likes

Two of the largest shareholders in Fairfax, Ausbil and Martin Currie, are both questioning the value of Nine’s takeover bid and are seeking an explanation from Fairfax on the reasons for the valuation before deciding whether they will support the bid.

3 Likes

I was referring to NZ :new_zealand:

Why did you use the Australian flag then?

2 Likes

Mouse over it dude, it’s NZ’s… unless you’re being funny, in which case I didn’t get the joke.

Because your acting PM gets confused between them. :wink:

3 Likes

What does the Nine takeover of Fairfax mean for the overall media landscape?

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4877222.htm

Nine has applied for the trademark Nine, so the new company will indeed just be known as Nine it seems, not Nine Entertainment.

3 Likes

Surprised they wouldn’t have had the word Nine trademarked already since that is literally the logo and corporate identity for the network as it is now.

1 Like

The SMH is reporting that Bruce Gordon is suspected to have lifted his interest in Nine to near 25%, made up of an almost 15% shareholding and a further up to 9.5% through a debt equity swap.

Wonder what this is?

Is google down?

A debt/equity swap is a transaction in which the obligations or debts of a company or individual are exchanged for something of value, equity. In the case of a publicly traded company, this generally entails an exchange of bonds for stock.

Literally the first search result - What Is a Debt/Equity Swap? How It Works and Who Benefits

7 Likes