Nine/Fairfax Merger superthread

Are Fiarfax still located at Harris St Broadway office where SIT / UTS is?

No, Fairfax moved to the western side of Sydney CBD (close to Darling Harbour) in the 1990s, then to Pyrmont where it is now.

No. Fairfax are in the media precinct at Prymont near Seven, Google and 2SM. But all are scheduled to move out in the future except 2SM.

Seven are at Jones Bay Wharf, Martin Place and at technology park Redfern from memory.

I did not know that Fiarfax had moved from their long term base at Wattle Street, I know I mentioned Harris St before, that is ABC HQ.

Is that like the hammock district in Cypress creek?

4 Likes

The good news is that Gordon’s shareholding in Nine will be halved after the merger.

4 Likes

And Google which is taking over Fairfax’s office (on the ground floor of their existing building) and the current SWM building across the road.

1 Like
2 Likes

Surprised that the Fairfax name will be dumped completely, don’t most media mergers try to combine company names? Seven West Media, NBCUniversal, the former TimeWarner, etc.

• NineFairfax
  • Nine Fairfax Media
  • Nine Fairfax Entertainment

Could they be going down the road to have NEC as the main company, with Fairfax Media as a print-based subsidiary and “Nine Network” as TV and online-based subsidiary?

4 Likes

Ninefax?

2 Likes

Fine entertainment Co.

It will be simply called “NIEN”

3 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

What a day…!

6 Likes

Kate McClymont jokingly favouring the Nine News microphone.

7 Likes

she knows who is going to be buttering her bread soon …

yet it still being recorded in 4:3 format :slight_smile: they needed someone from Nine in there to tell them 16x9 is better for TV.

isn’t that just recorded vertically on a phone?

With the merger, Nine will gain the rights to the annual City2Surf fun run in Sydney. That means from 2019 it may get live TV coverage again not to mention cross promotion on other media platforms.
Nine Entertainment CEO Hugh Marks spoke to Ellen Fanning late this afternoon regarding the merger. The interview will be on ABC’s 7.30 tonight.
Fairfax-owned NZ website Stuff has a good article on what the merger will mean for New Zealand media: https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/105769123/fairfax-media-and-nine-to-merge

1 Like