Brands, Products and Promotions

It almost went national some years ago (Brownes Supashake did for some time) when Fonterra owned Brownes, but when ownership changed again in recent years that ceased pretty quickly.

The two local brands (Brownes and Masters) still dominate the market here for flavoured milk that isn’t Iced Coffee (in which I’d suggest Dare probably has the main share of the market).

1 Like

Flavoured Milk seems to be one of the only items that has remained relatively localised

1 Like

Because it needs to be fresh.

I was thinking more in terms of the branding rather then the product

1 Like

Brownes flavoured milks can have up to a month’s life.

Not many other companies seem to do Spearmint either - or at least not those with a product that is widely available. I drink it whenever I visit Perth. I think Bodalla has done one over east but that’s hard to track down.

I bought a carton of Oak today with a 26/1 expiry, so it has a reasonable transport/shelf life.

It can’t have fresh milk in it with a expiry date that long, Dairy Farmers Classic Flavoured Milk always seems to have a shorter expiry date than Oak Flavoured milk.

1 Like

Fontera have developed a longer life fresh milk and when I worked in retail catering Lion were product testing a longer life Big M about 18 months ago.

2 Likes
1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Supermarkets and Retail

Swish. Another product introduces regional branding.

Gisborne Orange & Dark Choc , Manuka Honey & Cream , Murray River Salted Caramel and Sunshine Coast Strawberries & Cream .

tim-tams_supplied

4 Likes

Odd they went for Manuka honey when it tastes better coming from Fyshwick

1 Like

I’m sure a few of you have seen Calbee Harvest Snaps baked pea crisps on supermarket shelves recently. I think they’ve cropped up since approximately 2017-18.

I initially thought that they were peas, baked/air fried in the pod and salted. The appearance and texture is really close to what I’d expect it to be like. However, I did a bit of research and this is absolutely not the case.

They are made of powdered peas, rice and other ingredients - i.e. they are basically manufactured the same as Twisties or any other corn/rice based puff snack, but extruded into a shape that looks like a dried out pea pod. They are made mostly of peas, though - which I’ll give them a bit of credit for.

I really should have noticed it straight away - the texture really is pretty consistent inside, with no real identifiable ‘peas’ within.

3 Likes

I have a weakness for chili-flavoured Harvest Snaps, I usually finish the pack in one go. :flushed:

Why did I not see these today!! Although the flavoured Tim Tams usually disappoint.

A nice break from the endless Zumbo cross promotional stuff.

As someone that’s really fond of actual pea crackers (A snack of Burmese origin, Pe Kyaw - incredibly unhealthy as they’re deep fried, but extremely moreish - local asian grocers sell them as “pea chips”) it was pretty clear from the get go that they were not pea based :stuck_out_tongue: Really fascinating marketing though, clearly very successful.

Some new chocolates arriving in stores this week - Mint M&Ms, double coat Maltesers, and S’mores Pods.

Recently discovered these after being a fan of the salt and vinegar ones. They’re bloody good, but yeah was always obvious they were closer to twisties, ingredient wise.

1 Like

:scream::scream::scream:

I have a feeling that Nightlife Music Video’s “video jukebox” invention is one of Australia’s least important. For a fact, they celebrated their 30th anniversary last year and I think they’ve gone extinct due to the launch of CrowdDJ a few years ago.

“Sir, this is a Wendy’s”

14 Likes