Big Brother

Yes, but most people don’t like Sonia whereas most love Gretel.

5 Likes

Social media and the wider media suggest she is widely popular.

Exactly, so why do think it’s limited to this forum?

1 Like

The younger demographic (including myself) watched Big Brother on TV while Sonia was presenting. In order to know Gretel I had to watch them all online. Whilst I agree that Gretel would be a much better choice, Channel 7 would need to somewhat make it similar to the Ch9 version in order to bring those younger viewers who watched it over to 7.

1 Like

They should have saved their money and went with a younger unknown host, a previous housemate (Fitzy, Chrissie Swan), or even poached someone like Ash London or Olivia Phyland. Sonia turns me off, and I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Advertising it as “the game has changed,” but keeping the same host seems odd to me.

6 Likes

Yeah Chrissie Swan would have been good. But Sonia was fine as host. They have done what they have done. The show should be so much more than the host. Lets see what they do with the format and how that resonates with the viewers now.

2 Likes

I think someone like Chrissie Swan, Regina Bird or even Rachel Corbett would be a great host.

Heck even Nat Bassingthwaighte would be a better host than Sonia Kruger (IMO).

1 Like

The channel Nine version was crap so 7 need to steer well clear of anything to do with that version. Choosing Sonia as host is not a good start.

1 Like

You might say it was crap but the first season on 9 was quite successful and the audience seemed to like it. So I don’t agree that they need to steer clear of Sonia at all.

1 Like

Sonia confirms her appointment only happened last week, despite websites and columns saying that it was decided on earlier.

https://www.kiis1011.com.au/entertainment/newly-announced-big-brother-host-sonia-kruger-tells-us-what-to-expect-from-revamped-show/

“I was going back to Seven to do AGT [Australia’s Got Talent] and to judge on that… But also to do lots of other stuff with Seven because they’ve got The Olympics happening this year and it’s going to be really the place to be.
Literally like last week they said to me you know, we want you to host Big Brother and you could have knocked me over with a feather because I know that there were a lot of people in the mix.”

Again it appears Sonia may have been a backup plan, why wait till the last minute to confirm this?

Wouldn’t be surprised if they were trying to coax Gretel but they weren’t offering enough money and I doubt she would want a contrived format which is what conflicts with her opinion when she was On Sunrise about he purity of what BB is.

5 Likes

I don’t see the appeal. She was terrible at 9 and was terrible before that with whatever she did at 7. She hasn’t really got much talent and wouldn’t really be a ratings draw card. In fact more would switch off.

4 Likes

Should be, but I think the problem here is claiming that we’ve never seen anything like this before, but from everything we’ve seen so far, it looks like they’ve picked up a show from 9 and put a 7 logo on it, and it wasn’t all that successful or well received on 9 to begin with.

They’ve failed to sell this to the audience effectively - the host announcement was premature and completely not worthy of drumming up hype to tune into MKR.

Also, if the show should be so much more then the host… Why did 7 feel it appropriate to hype some major news and a reason to tune into MKR, to reveal the host? They knew the host was important to fans, and they didn’t deliver. It’s sending mixed messages!

2 Likes

Have you seen MKR’s ratings lately? They’ll try anything to give them a boost.

2 Likes

Yep. It’s a mistake.

Surely a fair few people would’ve lost all respect for Sonia Kruger after her infamous post-Nice terror attack comments about Muslims on Today Extra in July 2016?

Certainly after that debacle, I questioned whether she was an appropriate presenter for things like the family friendly Carols By Candlelight on Christmas Eve!

1 Like

A shame that they chose her then. Another grave mistake from Seven.

Oh God! Sonia Everywhere. A pigeon pair with Manu. :weary:

Goodness knows why the heck they chose her out of that mix. Surely there’s got to be someone who’s new and likeable to host BB?

More evidence of idiots running Seven.

2 Likes

Sometimes talent are the last to know

Maybe. But still doesn’t explain why they would announce her for Golf as part of her move to Seven and then a couple of months later pull her out of it to host BB.

I’m a cynic. Sorry.

2 Likes

Agree.

But I’ll say this, if Sonia wasn’t signed up but my sources say that was seven’s plan but then it changed and she wasn’t… and then she was, isn’t that worse for seven? It completely shows mismanagement of what was the simplest of decisions.

Either way the report was right, no matter how they got there.

3 Likes

I can say it’s the latter. My personal experience in how Seven operate, the mismanagement is definitely what’s happening.

Yep the “report” is right. But the “we told you’d so” line if they have made this internal flip recently doesn’t really apply. It’s luck.
Like I said I’m a cynic so sorry I’m not going to agree.
I know people who work at Seven currently and the place is a shambles and this fits the scenario they describe.

It needs a big clean out of upper management.

5 Likes