Big Brother

Behind Big Brother suggests that March could be the filming date for BB as that was when Mini Golf was due to be filmed. For Sonia to not be available for that it could mean that BB is filming within that month.

1 Like

What else did you expect from a 10 sec teaser??

—————————

About tonight’s announcement, don’t know why people are surprised by it considering Kruger being the show’s host was flagged/reported months ago (despite the denial)

2 Likes

Damn 50 unread posts.

This is going to flop harder than MKR. The first episode, probably not though.

2 Likes

Apart from sports and a few tent pole series, is there anything to get excited about?

PLUS, if they didn’t screw the viewer over with overly long shows (stretching an hour into two) and running scripted or pre-recorded shows over time, people might feel a little more loyalty.

Networks have clearly chosen to prioritise short term gain over everything else, and now the chickens are coming home for some serious roosting.

7 Likes

Seems to be a much more favourable response to Big Brother on Facebook from what I can see with many people tagging others and commenting how they can’t wait.
No buzz on Twitter though.

1 Like

I assume with Sonia as host it means we will not have any Muslim contestants… We do not want her feeling threatened.

3 Likes

People get excited about MAFS. The Masked Singer had a fair bit of buzz last year too. But yes I know what you mean, we seem to lack that event television of the past.

This is the problem when they rely on 1 format to get them across multiple nights for 3 months. If it doesn’t perform they are in a heap. At least Ten’s shows are generally shorter seasons (with the exception of maybe Masterchef) or they program a couple of shows in the week so if one doesn’t perform as strongly they have other things to fall back on.

1 Like

If the show isn’t live and we don’t have any say on who gets voted out why is there a host then? I mean she should just be narrating and we don’t see her face?

2 Likes

Not to mention taking the public’s attention away from serious current affairs shows like 7.30 and Four Corners which expose their political failings…

1 Like

I would say don’t get too hopeful.

The only thing which could’ve potentially save this show is either Gretel Killeen or another good host, but them getting Sonia has got to be the nail in the coffin.

3 Likes

I don’t see anything wrong with Sonia as the host. She’s a great host on anything she does. Whilst ideally I would have preferred someone fresh and new, perhaps they thought that the format change to the more US style Big Brother was a big change… so having an old host at least gives it that BB feel and might make it more appealing to previous viewers.

1 Like

Are you seriously suggesting that the government should have a say on the type of content we can view? No thanks, but there’s several countries with government censorship that would welcome you with open arms.

2 Likes

At the end of the day the government technically do have a regulations in place that prevent networks from airing certain things. I don’t agree that it should be regulated further. I wouldn’t want Australia to become a china.

1 Like

Whilst Kyle and Jackie O did it no favours I think that series enough was done to justify one last throw of the dice. They did actually try to change things, and changed things back that didn’t work. Kyle was awful, but I think a ninth series with Jackie O flying solo could have done enough for the franchise to survive a bit longer. However, we all know Masterchef came along and somehow blew it out the water - still baffles me how such a show rated so well on debut. Do not get the appeal at all.

Gretel did not agree to the pay cheque being offered. She was first choice, but refused, thus why Sonia was rushed in and she now suddenly can’t do Golf.

Sonia is a mistake. She’s associated with the Channel 9 Big Brother trainwreck. 7 needed to give Gretel whatever she wanted to entice her to sign on.

4 Likes

It didn’t rate that well on debut. It grew. I remember by the Thursday episode in week 1 it was in Big Brother territory.

7 don’t have an endless cheque book. If you are paying for Olympics and AFL you only have so much money for more talent.

Nor do they have a successful reality show.

1 Like

No they don’t but that still doesn’t mean they have endless money…

1 Like

Apparently they felt they did when negotiating Sonia’s new contract…

If the rumours of Sonia making $1.5m a year are true (granted across multiple shows) then I’m sure they could have found a hefty amount to bring Gretel onboard for BB.

1 Like