Between Two Worlds

How is the network which greenlighted Beven’s show simultaneously ‘punishing’ him?

Hard to see the logic in that comment, given what they would’ve invested into the show.

2 Likes

yes the investment is there but the publicity wasn’t. it wasn’t till at least a week or two till the show started they starting publicising it

That’s incorrect.

Promos started 8 June. Went to air July 26. Thats 7 weeks promo time.

4 Likes

Perhaps they did not have confidence in it, as I believe it was meant to air at the end of 2019.

It was pushed back to this year because Seven was hoping to use the Tokyo Olympics to promote the drama, much like what it did for Packed to the Rafters in 2008.

I don’t think it would have mattered. The audience would have sampled it, but then switched off as we are seeing now.

2 Likes

The problem with trying to do high concept ideas in Australia is they don’t pull it off. That’s probably why 2 of the main actors are NZ and the other 2 are British. Still the whole world feels cheap. I also reckon Bevan has written the whole outline of the series and where plot lines happen but outsourced the rest of the script to I assume newbie writers or soap writers?

Does Bevan still write for Home and Away … I assume not?

Nothing to do with the concept.

Hermione Norris is the only British import really. Philip Quast is an Aussie actor who has worked in the UK. Dalip Sondhi grew up in the UK but now lives in Australia. Aaron Jeffery and Sara Wiseman were born in New Zealand but live or have lived in Australia. It depends on where their roles are and have previously appeared in many other Australian shows.

1 Like

Philip is an Aussie (unless you are referring to someone else along with Hermione). :woman_facepalming:

Plus Sara worked with Bevan on APTCH, so it’s no surprise (as she’s said in interviews) she jumped at the opportunity to work with him again.

Regardless of the mixed reviews the show has gotten, my guess is if the actors weren’t satisfied with his work (the more established ones here) they wouldn’t have signed onto the project.

The only character I can’t stand on the damn show is Georgia (in two minds whether or not that is only because of the character or the way the actress is playing the role too).

ETA: Speaking of Sara, I’m waiting to see if Seven holds off One Lane Bridge until next year or decide to air it this year (since it got picked up for another series in NZ).

Don’t agree, there are plenty of examples of high concept Australian dramas that have been brilliant in their own ways.

The problem is that Seven’s drama department is so small that everything they produce looks and feels the same. They need to invest in creative talent.

1 Like

Seven have bumped Between Two Worlds to 10:00pm next Sunday.

3 Likes

That’s very sad for Australian drama.

5 Likes

Ouch. I think they should really just ride it out. It’s only on hour of 6 hours of primetime

It does more long term harm then good

7 days ago they were calling it the next generation of classic Australia drama. Now they’re like “we have no faith it it”

It destroys trust

What will they replace it with

4 Likes

It was mentioned in the Seven Schedule, but the Anita Cobby special has been moved to Sunday night now to air before BTW.

Bumped to 10pm by a news repeat

Ouch indeed

They launch 1 drama a year and it’s gone in 2 weeks

1 Like

They should just get it out of the way and air it every night next week at 8:30.

What hope does Seven give for RFDS which just commenced filming in Broken Hill this week?

About the same as the SeaChange reboot?

They should have at least tried it on another night before banishing it to 10pm. Tuesdays are a wasteland right now.

5 Likes