Best on-air presentation

I was amazed by this as a kid. It still impresses to this day. Recorded by me.

Ten’s 1989 promo “There’s Something Going on Around Here.”.
Later parodied by The Comedy Company as “There’s Nothing Going On Around Here”.

Yeah, I’m not really a fan of that Eyewitness News Opener but each to their own.

Visually it’s on the dull side compared to the Sydney Harbour Bridge-centric Opener used by Seven Nightly News or even the Opening Graphics on the Sydney version of National Nine News (even though it had been in use for a number of years by 1989) of the same time period.

2 Likes

I think it’s much better than those openers you talk about. As you say, each to their own. I thought it was hot. I liked the world map vibe (I was really into maps), the colour scheme, the font was just classy and the integration with the ID. Second to none. And their incredible home-grown theme. And that set - omg. By the way, I kind of hated Seven’s set - cheap vertical line copy of Nine’s great classic blue map. Sure, I liked Seven Nightly News and Nine News from that era a lot - both are still among my all-time faves… and I recorded the video below (!). 7 Nightly News sent shivers down your spine (watch the entire sequence below and see what I mean), but I guess as a kid, I preferred the computer-graphic-driven Eyewitness intro over the real (cataclysmically-flawed) Sydney model. It was always a curious footnote for me, by the way - even as a young kid - that North Sydney was seemingly obliterated or, as I used to think of it, it looked pre-settlement…

3 Likes

One of the short idents from April 2002 (aired at 7pm so I guess they couldn’t air the 2 minute long one!)

1 Like

Also, for me, the 10 intro had a simplicity about it that was graceful. A simple fly-in in one direction from a tight close-up, not trying to do too much (like every American intro of the time). It was kind of restrained and well-executed. Combine that with that nice lettering. The stylish and, again, minimalist execution with the headlines. And you got one classy open. And all this in the decade that style supposedly forgot.

Plus, for someone into maps in 1989, the way that ID took you through that cool-looking horizontal-lined map of Australia was awesome and visually impressive.

I have to admit, I was also a massive fan of the Nine News globe, even as a total Ten fan. And, I loved its integration with the skylines in those days. I looked forward to trips to Adelaide where I would get to see the National Nine News Adelaide opener and watch all the very impressive Adelaide stations at the time.

When the news came thru - one of many Adelaide originals

1 Like

Seven Network IDs from 2002.

1 Like

They should launch a jingle with all network stars together with a refresh on air presentation for their Tokyo 2020 coverage, along with hammering their post Olympic launch shows!

2 Likes

Lucky 7 was an example with all the stars coming together to promote 7’s shows back the day.

Turned out to be “unlucky 7” given its flops in 2004.

1 Like

2003/04 was a bad year but it was in July 2003 when 7 poached David Leckie from 9 with his agenda to turn things around after a series of flops.

1 Like

It was never going to be a quick fix at Seven. Also around this time, Seven poached Ian Ross from Nine to read its Sydney news; it’s also worth noting, his departure from the Today show on Nine (as well as the departure of Steve Liebmann in 2004) indirectly led to its demise which, IMO, it is still struggling to recover from (sans 2016).

2 Likes

My Restaurant Rules, Let Loose Live, Last Man Standing…

2 Likes

I actually liked the My Restaurant Rules format. But how cruel was it being forced to close a restaurant upon elimination?

There was another flop called Restaurant Revolution that aired in 2015; I recall visiting the Sydney-based restaurant in Parramatta and the food was okay, except I missed out on some chips that I badly wanted :frowning:

1 Like

Let Loose Live only lasted two episodes with a third not even going to air.

Don’t forget, Aussie BBQ Heroes that aired in summer non ratings in 2015. This show failed so badly. Had this show moved to 7mate, this would stop 7 from the decline in ratings

1 Like

2015 was a challenging year for Seven as their news ratings continued to nosedive, especially on the East Coast. In Sydney and Melbourne, Nine News regularly won by over 100K and didn’t drop a week in either market.

In one week, Seven landed third behind Nine and Ten in Sydney (week of July 27).

In Adelaide Seven News was even losing some weeknights to Nine News, and Nine as a network overall finished the year strongly (in the penultimate week, it won four of the five markets sans Perth).

1 Like

Maybe it’s got to do with the million dollar minute that had suffered low ratings, beating hot seat. The repeats of deal or no deal continued to be a problem for 7 in 2015 (as this show stopped production in Oct 2013). But since the launch of the chase australia, the repeats of deAl or no deal have been retired (unlike with the replays of the price is right back in 2006 where its replaced by Bert’s family feud on nine), the Million dollar minute ended on 11 September 2015. The chase started to grow ratings in the lead in to 7 news at 6.

2 Likes

Let’s try to stick to the topic of on air presentation.

10 Likes