Best and Worst Radio Station Logos

When 96FM was Triple M in the mid to late 90’s, they were “The All New 96.1 Triple M”.

I can’t find their old logo online, but when the station was for sale (after Austereo bought PMFM 92.9 and 94.5), they dropped the “Triple M” name and just went by “The All New 96.1”. This is as far back as I can go on Wayback Machine…

http://web.archive.org/web/19980210101949/http://triplem.ii.net/index.html

Interesting to note, the blurb about the “Big Girls Breakfast”. Kyle, the token bloke, is none other than Kyle Sandilands. He worked in promotions at the station and occasionally appeared on air (as the breakfast anchor on this occasion and as “Game Show Boy” on the Top 30). None of that ever appears in Kyle’s radio history for some reason.

5 Likes

I hate to say it, but the 2NM and Power FM logos really need to be updated.
981powerfm 2NM

9 Likes

I don’t mind those still, could do with a tweak - as you say they’ve been unchanged for 25+ years.

3 Likes

What’s worse is they’re in the same market. At least give it some variety… similar logos PLUS the fact it’s 98.1FM and 981AM.

Could you think of a more boring market?

2 Likes

Given the only local stations are ABC UH on both AM and FM, 2KY, ABC Newsradio, the god botherers in Scone and Kix in Muswellbrook. Even if I try to tune in Newcastle and Tamworth stations, I’d still prefer Spotify or podcasts.

5 Likes

Ah that takes me back. My 1983 Ford Meteor Ghia had this setup. 2x FM and 3xAM. My first car, a 1980 XD Falcon only had AM with 5 presets.

6 Likes

Which is of course before 2DAY and 4MMM started broadcasting on 104.1 (or any station on FM in the country) :smile:

The station started broadcasting in 1983, being granted a licence after an enquiry the year before. At the same time 2BBB was licenced to 107.3 and is still on that frequency.

2ARM was originally on 92.3

3 Likes

Yes- I wasn’t sure when exactly broadcasting commenced. The organisation must have formed in '73. An '83 start though lends credence to my theory.

It’s a wonder 2ARM didn’t stay put on 92.3 as it’s one of the ‘Melbourne’ channels. The ABC would have had to find another frequency if this was done. 2BBB is another that doesn’t conform to the Melbourne channel spacing used in the area; it probably should be on 93.1 as opposed to 93.3. I know it was on 90.5 originally.

2 Likes

2BBB Bellingen has always been on 107.3. 90.5 was the original frequency used by Dorrigo.

2 Likes

Yes; I meant the Dorrigo service which is actually the translator, despite it being the ‘main’ service ERP wise.

Getting back to the topic of the thread- and tying a few things together- I quite like this 2BRW logo:

7 Likes

Well I just stumbled across this shocker:

ocr-fm-logo

10 Likes

Wow that is so bad!

3 Likes

Probably no need to. In the early days when there were just dial tuners, tuning to “96” was all you needed to know.

I think it was only during its Triple M period in the late 90s it bothered to include the .1 in its branding. It’s largely superfluous.

Like Nova 100 in Melbourne. No real need to include the .3

3 Likes

Looks like it was done by a Uni student after a night on the turps.

But being community radio, it is somewhat forgivable.

1 Like

I suppose, but I (and 99% of people on this website) could’ve made them a better one in 5 minutes.

3 Likes

Is that meant to be an earthworm? There is the ‘Big Earthworm’ near Phillip Island (Bass) but that’s on the other side of the Great Ocean Gulf.

1 Like

Worms don’t have legs. Looks like a lizard.

1 Like

Lol true. Just saw the legs now. Either way, an odd logo possibly designed by Colac Prep. Speaking of the Otway Coast and kids on the radio:

5 Likes

Surely that logo was designed by a kid? If so, I can perhaps forgive that design somewhat.

2 Likes

*Was. Been abandoned for quite a few years.

1 Like