Best and Worst Radio Station Logos

their slogan around Geelong is Krock of shit.

1 Like

Should just use the callsign. 95.5 The Cat.

3 Likes

All time favourite :drooling_face:

4 Likes

That’d be my No.2 behind Nova’s original logo.

If Wild made a comeback, I wouldn’t touch a thing with that logo. Brilliant.

1 Like

WILD 895…

1 Like

The old blue and yellow logo they had from the FM conversion right up until this monstrosity was a ripper though, should never have changed it.

2 Likes

Extracted this one from an old radio ratings survey results PDF from ACNielsen (via archive.org) - with a few tweaks it’d be a good one to reuse for a 2SM digital station:

Old2SMLogo

With the “Sydney moves with 2SM” slogan on top (which I believe was the slogan in the station IDs which ran on 2SM as a talk station for many years), I wonder if that’s from just after the station was acquired by SRN/BOG? Either way, the logo which replaced it (and is basically still 2SM’s logo today) looks very dull by comparison:

2SMLogo2000

The best ever 2WS/WSFM logos, IMO:

Old2WSLogos

…and a WSFM logo which had the potential to be great (especially since it was the last before standardised branding took over), but didn’t quite hit the mark:

WSFMLogo2001

What on earth is this design supposed to be? A homage to the iconic “jukebox” logo, a stylised take on the Sydney Harbour Bridge or a shopping bag? Maybe it’s for the best that one was short lived. Just for the record, of the standardised ARN Classic Hits/Pure Gold Network logo designs we’ve had since 2002 the current is my favourite. The design of the 2002-04 Classic Hits logos were more like something you’d expect to see on the packaging of prescription medication rather than for a radio station (especially with the typeface used) while the original black guitar logo lacked depth.

Finally for now…while modern standardised branding (or the Mix Network in general) doesn’t get much love around here, I think the different coloured logos for individual stations in the Mix Network during the mid 2000s “Feel Good” era was a great example of how you can still have a common brand for the network while retaining some localism:

If nothing else, hopefully we can least agree that those were an improvement on these:

ARNMixNetworkLogosEarly2000s#

6 Likes

Boomers still wearing denim is so sad. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I never understood why 97.3 had “The New FM” beneath that logo.

Yes, I understand it was because the station was new, but is it really worth mentioning it in the logo?

It goes to show that not all network logos are comparable with all station names.

Yet again, it’d be nice if 96FM’s current logo featured 96.1FM beneath it like the remaining KIIS stations. That logo has never had its frequency featured - just like i98FM.

3 Likes

Indeed. I’m almost certain that the station would’ve been branded as Mix 97.3 (one wonders if such a logo was created but never used) if it wasn’t for 94.9 Ipswich having the foresight to make their callsign “4MIX”!

As for 96FM, I think the reason “96.1 FM” wasn’t included underneath is because it’d look a bit tacky. In any case, I’m pretty sure 96FM haven’t included the full frequency as part of their logo for many years (and possibly a few ownership eras). No idea why though!

2 Likes

Probably because the rounded number was deemed “close enough” when the frequency ended in “.1”. Though noting the same thing can be said about B105 / Hit 105 despite being further away from the 105 rounding.

2 Likes

When FM104.7 first went to air in Canberra back in 1988, it was known on-air as FM104, even though it’s closer to 105. After Austereo bought the station (along with 2CA) from Macquarie a couple of months later, they added the “.7” to its station name.

3 Likes

And speaking of strategic moves by radio stations and frequency choices, I reckon 2CHY Coffs Harbour played it smart by choosing 104.1. A familiar frequency to both Sydney and Brisbane holidaymakers (not sure if presets were a thing in the 80s?)

2 Likes

Yes they were. If a car had FM in those days it had presets, even the non digital tuner variety.

2 Likes

Yes correct. Although 4MIX Ipswich wasn’t the only problem with calling 97.3 ‘Mix 97.3’. Sunshine Coast already had Mix FM (4SSS) with substantial overlap in northern Brisbane. They might have gotten away with that one perhaps but not sure.

As for 96FM I don’t they ever ID’d with the point 1. Similar to FM104. When they moved to 104.5 they briefly included the point 5 in the ID but then went back to just FM104. Even after the Triple M re-brand :cold_sweat: it was usually still just FM104 Triple M. Occasionally 104.5 Triple M.

4 Likes

Yep, the analogue tuner in the XF Falcon my parents had certainly did. Though it only wound to set positions on the dial no matter the band, so presets that made sense in FM would be noise on AM, and vice versa.

Thinking about it, very clever to have the same dial position as a metro station, especially in a tourist area like that. I know when travelling we used to wind to the first station that was playing music and generally leave it there too, makes it easier if you’re already on it

3 Likes

Would CHY FM have had any choice in the frequency though - wouldn’t it just be allocated?

1 Like

I reckon they were able to choose; they’ve been around for a long time (1973!):

http://chyfm.com/about/history/

104.1 doesn’t fit the current Coffs band plan; other services have been planned around it. A similar thing with 2ARM FM on 92.1.

3 Likes

Yes they usually worked like this.

There be 5 buttons as below, usually 3 AM and 2 FM buttons.
To create a preset, you pull the button OUT and push it all the way in.
To go to a preset, you just push it in.

5 Likes

I remember convincing myself in the early 90s once 2WAY FM 103.9 started in Port Macquarie, that 2CHY would have had to move to 104.3… I got a bit of shock when I found out a few years later that they hadn’t moved at all!

2 Likes