Bert Newton 1938-2021

Are any of the networks having special coverage?

1 Like

Or just change it all to the ‘The Newtons’!

1 Like

Bert “Newtown” :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Though I’d imagine they corrected the mistake fairly quickly.

Fairly certain my earliest memory of him was on Good Morning Australia when I was sick at home during a school day. I also remembered his appearance the 2002-2005 “seriously” promos on Ten, 20 to One in the mid 2000s, and the celebration special of GTV-9 Bendigo in 2010.

A very iconic and incremental figure to Australian Television History, one to never be repeated again. Rest In Peace.

3 Likes

Probably a case of ‘getting it up ASAP, screw the spelling’ or whatever. But still poor form from the ABC, as it’s something one would usually expect from one of the commercial networks (cough Seven cough).

4 Likes

Probably where most people working at the ABC News Channel would rather hang out on a Saturday night?

Sorry, couldn’t resist… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

It was the first story on a 10 news update that was the only one to carry the news in Brisbane. Seven and Nine’s updates made no mention.

6 Likes

I know you’re just trying to be funny but maybe a little bit too soon for those kind of jokes?

2 Likes

Not Nine.

I do remember watching his version of Family Feud when I was a kid. It’s a shame that it was a flop when it aired. I think that Bert did the role of host perfectly. Also I do remember his hosting role on GMA on channel 10 when I was even younger after “In the Box” ended for the day. Oh and him hosting 20 to 1. Yes, even Gen Z can remember seeing Bert on TV knowing his long career.

3 Likes

ABC News - included a clip from Bert’s appearance on each network.

7 Likes

TV will never be the same. Such a genuinely nice guy and quick witted.

4 Likes

Might be a bit off topic, but has anyone complied a list of all the people who will need to honoured at the next Logies? There’d be a lot.

3 Likes

My first memories of Bert would be on school holidays at Gran’s listening to him on 3UZ and later 3DB in the mornings and driving past his then home in Blackburn which my old man pointed out on every occasion.

On the telly probably New Faces and then if course GMA om days off from school or uni or before an arvo shift at work. Still love hearing his rich tones doing the voice-over on the Friday arvo show on ABC Melbourne. Loved his humour, always pushing boundaries but rarely going over them and happy to take the micky out of himself. Vale Bert.

3 Likes

Damn . Is all I can think. Legend in his own right.

4 Likes

Surely there will be some sort of Special on one of the channels in the coming days.

For tomorrow, Weekend Sunrise (7) and Weekend Today (9) will obviously mention his passing. As well as The Project (10) in primetime.

Seven could air something after Spotlight, instead of Border Security. Nine can air something after 60 Minutes. Perhaps. Or do something bigger during the week.

2 Likes

My grandmother loved Bert and I always remember her listening to his morning show on 3UZ. At that stage, it was the top rating radio show in Melbourne.

I think my earliest memory of seeing him on TV was at the 1980 Logie Awards which I was allowed to stay up late for.

My family watched New Faces often although I was more likely to be fighting to see Disneyland or Countdown on at the same time :stuck_out_tongue:

I remember it was big news when he was dropped from Channel Nine in 1985. You just thought he would be there forever. At that time Nine had also dumped Mike Walsh and Ernie Sigley, so it marked something of an end of an era for variety TV.

My parents and I were just talking about Bert the other day as they had read in the papers that he was still in hospital after surgery earlier this year. He was a big part of their lives as they literally grew up watching him on TV or listening to him on the radio and they very fondly remembered him on IMT and The Don Lane Show.

6 Likes

Since the last Logies were held, a total of 46 obituaries (21 of those from this year alone, including Bert’s) were published on TVAU’s website although no doubt there are others who’ve passed away since July 1, 2019 that deserve a mention during the next “In Memorial” segment at the Logies.

…and of course, just about every news bulletin tonight (well it’s post-midnight here now)!

I’d also say there’s a reasonable chance of there being a tribute package during tomorrow’s Studio 10, what with Bert’s major contributions to mid-morning television on Network Ten from 1992 to 2005.

Being the network he probably spent the longest amount of time at, surely you’d expect Nine to run a half decent special celebrating the life and career of Bert Newton?

Then again, neither the end of their Willoughby studios or the death of Brian Henderson (two incredibly significant events in recent TCN history) received such a treatment…

Isn’t the current Project studio (at ATV10) know internally to staff as the Bert Newton studio, where GMA was produced from?

TV Tonight would have a more extensive list of obituaries

4 Likes

Oh and how could I forget…the next episode of Gogglebox is going HAVE to include reactions from their households to one of the Bert Newton tributes we’ll see on the networks in coming days.

Although one would dearly hope we aren’t going to see “Who was he?” type reactions from the likes of Holly Dalton! :confused:

3 Likes