Bert Newton 1938-2021

I felt really sad when I heard this news.

For me I mostly saw Bert on GMA when I was quite young. Something that we’d always have on in the mornings in the school holidays. I also met him when I went into the audience of Family Feud. Then of course I know for my parents era he was a calibre of his own.

Such a wonderful man and I hope he rests in peace.

8 Likes

A huge loss. Was a giant of Australian Television. Hosted GMA on Ten as well as Family Feud and 20 to 1.

RIP Bert Newton

1 Like

This would be my earliest memory of him. Always remember watching him back then at 5.30 as a kid.

3 Likes

The show was retitled Bert’s Family Feud during his tenure has host. I enjoyed watching the show and 20 to 1

1 Like

You’d think they could get his name right in the super :man_facepalming:t3:

16 Likes

Most here can only remember his work from mid 90s onward… but we have to remember him as a pioneer of Australian Television. He’s been there since the beginning . I believe Bert first stated his Tonight Show at HSV7 in the late 1950s, before moving to GTV9.

6 Likes

End of an era. Goodbye, Bert.

2 Likes

Here’s a tribute piece from the 2006 Logies with Bert and Graham, thought it might fit well here.

1 Like

32931299_10155427753487927_5839429632901775360_n
Bert was a legend he along with Kerri Anne Kennerley essentially raised me as a kid, here i am with Bert and Patti in 2015

19 Likes

He first auditioned for television in 1956, the year television started in Australia, but was asked to wait a while because HSV7 couldn’t afford another star at the time. In August 1957, his chance came and he replaced Noel Ferrier as host of HSV7’s night-time variety show The Late Show. His main rival at the time was his friend Graham Kennedy with In Melbourne Tonight, and, Newton was mildly annoyed to see, Kennedy was being much better paid.

2 Likes

Sad to hear, saw him in the news only a few days ago and it was the first I’d heard about him for a while since his amputation earlier in the day. In a way, that’s the best way for it to have been for the family - out of the media spotlight so whatever was going on the family could support Bert and one another and enjoy their final time together without all the media attention and speculation. Just look at the daily stories about the Queen currently - she’s sick, she’s not sick, she’s dying etc…

RIP Bert, a true Australian TV legend and condolences to his family, I hope they’ve had time to appreciate and celebrate the past few months.

1 Like
3 Likes

The Logies should definitely change their name, Logie was a Brit nothing to do with us.

12 Likes

Here’s Nine News’ tribute to Newton (which is narrated by Brett Mcleod):

5 Likes

Mine was Ford Superquiz.

He had an on screen persona that was so unique, it will never be matched.

RIP Bert, I’m having a beer for you right now.

2 Likes

Sad to hear. GMA was a great program when I stayed home from school.

Family feud was fantastic too

Loved references to him on the front bar this year. Him being a gag man

Rip

3 Likes

This is the image that was shared just last week.

14 Likes

Beautiful man. One of a kind. Rest easy Bert
Thanks for the memories

4 Likes

Change the name to the Bert Newton award when the Logies return. The “In Memoriam” segment next year will be the longest.

10 Likes
3 Likes