Beauty and the Geek

Of course, it’s not the first time Beauty And The Geek has had a less than genuine geek either.

This TV Tonight article is from over a decade ago, when the show was airing on Seven:

2 Likes

For someone who has never watched BATG prior to tonight, I found the show rather refreshing.

With all the stress going on with covid at the moment, it was nice to jump into a happy alternative for a bit with many feel good scenes throughout the episode.

Some of the geeks did feel a bit drummed up and fake, however most of them seemed to have been paired with a suitable woman.

I think I’ll continue watching for the rest of the season.

Is that because you’re not old enough to remember the first six seasons on 7?

1 Like

The show isn’t too bad. A bit different than the other dating shows.

Something I’ve noticed (more of a production thing) is how the majority of Endemol Shine reality programs all have the same, if not similar structure, editing style, filming, and even format ideas.

BATG feels very similar to Bachelor and MAFS in many ways, just a different cast essentially. It’s starting to get very repetitive and boring.

Then again, the networks struggle to look beyond Endemol Shine as they hold all the format rights :neutral_face:

1 Like

Of course, not all dating, relationship and wedding “reality” shows are produced by the same company for the networks. Bachelor/ette (and variants of that format) is from the Australian arm of Warner Bros International Television while Farmer Wants A Wife is a Fremantle/Eureka co-production…but I take your point.

I can see it now… ‘Congratulations, you’ve been selected to be a geek on BATG. Filming begins in six months and in the meantime please do not shave or cut your hair to help us create your special look for the show’.

1 Like

Nope. I simply had no interest in watching the show in the past, however I decided to give it a go this year since I’m not really watching much else at the moment. Of course I did see promos of it when I was watching other Seven shows, but I never watched any episodes.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the premise of this show has never been about love match ups but about the geeks teaching the gals to be less shallow and the gals teaching the geeks to be cooler.

Yeh this version seems to be trying to create love matches! It’s kinda a new show

Correct, the American version started with the text “this is not a dating show, this is a social experiment”

7s version started that way, but gradually shifted more towards dating.

Isn’t this line (or something very similar to it) pretty much how Nine has promoted Married At First Sight in recent years? Look at how that show has turned out! :confused:

Considering how many couples there are, why are they only doing one makeover each week? There should be at least two geeks receiving makeovers per week so it doesn’t feel so dragged out.

The elimination challenge should have been similar to previous seasons with questions to answer. This elimination challenge felt like watching a Big Brother elimination challenge.

What on Earth was that elimination challenge? There are so many parts of the show I like, but the ‘romance’ parts and now the ridiculous elimination process.

Definitely not as geeky as they want us to believe. Years ago one of the ‘geeks’ actually had a really buff body that you could see despite his geeky clothes. There was no way this guy was ever a genuine geek but it definitely had the ‘wow’ factor when they did the reveal.

This was a real issue with the casting in the latter seasons at Seven, it was pretty obvious the “geeks” were not at all geeks, I think in some cases some had participated in other reality TV.

1 Like

Is it really a major surprise to hear that the “geeks” on Beauty and the Geek may not be as “geeky” in real life as they present themselves on TV?!

…and here we have a segment which should instantly raise suspicions as to how genuine this program is.

What genuine geek/nerd on the search for true romance no matter how desperate, would want to undergo a conformist makeover for reality TV?!

Strange how there are not any geeks who don’t need a makeover - that are just geeky, perhaps introverted, stay-at-home, computer nerds but otherwise are attractive physically.

iirc, the later season on 7 didn’t even do auditions for the geeks, they all just came from casting agents and gave up on any attempt at authenticity.

2 Likes

Lachlan and Kiera win Beauty and the Geek

Lachlan, Australia’s favourite Geek, and Kiera, his gorgeous Beauty, were crowned winners of Beauty and the Geek tonight, walking away with $100,000.

Lachlan said: “To be crowned the 2021 Beauty and the Geek champion is just an unbelievable feeling. As a motorsport commentator, I have witnessed the outpouring of jubilation from drivers who have won major events, but now I know what it’s like to experience that sort of feeling myself – and it’s awesome.

“I feel so lucky to have been partnered with Kiera. She knew how to make me feel special and loved. We rode the emotional rollercoaster through laughter, tears and everything in between. I may not have found the romantic love of my life on the show, but I leave with a renewed sense of self-appreciation, confidence and understanding of how I deserve to be treated by girls.”

Kiera said: “I wanted to go on the show to find love, and that’s exactly what I got. I found my partner, my confidante, and my number one fan in Lachlan. He made me feel confident, resilient, and like I deserved to be there. I’ll forever be in his debt. I learnt so much about who I am and the person I want to be. Who knew ten Geeks and nine other Beauties would come into my life and completely change it for the better?”

Lachlan and Kiera were paired together by host Sophie Monk in episode three, after being coupled with other Geeks and Beauties, and their deep bond was instant. They brought out the best in each other, building each other up as they came to realise what they deserve in a relationship.

Together they conquered their fears and endured the intense challenges the competition threw up, winning three and confirming a place in the last “Magic Mike Live” challenge.

The final decision came down to the eliminated Beauties and Geeks, who had watched Kiera and Lachlan’s unwavering belief in each other, genuine connection, and mutual growth. It became clear that they were the deserving winners of Beauty and the Geek 2021.

Host Sophie Monk said: “What an incredible show this has been! I’m beyond happy for Lachlan and Kiera, who are honestly the most genuine and deserving winners. There’s not a bad bone in either of them. They are such a gorgeous, sweet pair, with the most adorable and special connection.

“Seeing two different walks of life come together and support each other in such a loving way has been amazing to watch. I’ve felt so proud to be a part of this experience. All of the beauties and geeks were an absolute pleasure to watch”.

Beauty and the Geek was produced by Endemol Shine Australia for Channel 9.

1 Like

C21 reports TVNZ has bought the rights to the recent season.

Are they making their own series or are they just broadcasting the Australian version?

1 Like