BBC News/World News

BBC News should be rebranding with the custom Reith font today…

5 Likes

Still the same look on BBC World News at the moment but you can see the Reith font during the weather segment.

7 Likes

Some caps from the BBC iPlayer of the new look

11 Likes

Here’s a video from TV Forum:

8 Likes

World is ‘Reithed’ at 12GMT

Meh not a fan. Gone from timeless and unique to a pretty basic template look which will date quickly.

5 Likes

It’s a below par refresh for one of the world’s leading broadcasters, isn’t it?

Even the ABC News 2017 relaunch was/is better than this IMO! :confused:

3 Likes

If they fixed the opening titles, it would be much better.

1 Like

The animations are satisfyingly smooth

Here was the switch over to the new graphics on BBC World News

4 Likes

Prefer the old supers.

They were just a white bar.

I disliked the old graphics (simplicity not done right) and I dislike these new graphics - the headlines are far too big & think the channel/program bar being above the flipper doesn’t look right.

The one thing I can’t get over is why are the graphics still 4:3 safe in 2019 - there’s so much wasted room not being used

1 Like

I saw a bit of the BBC Cricket World Cup Final News coverage on BBC World News tonight, and the thing that struck me waa that there was NO video footage, only photos.

I’m guessing it’s a rights thing, where Channel 4 and SKY Sports UK had the rights to air the Final there. Fortunately we don’t see that kind of restriction here with news coverage.

Both clips above include footage (one with Sky watermark, the other without).

1 Like

That would probably be because BBC World News is broadcast internationally whereas as the BBC News (UK) channel (which did show highlights of the Cricket World Cup) is broadcast domestically. Fair dealing/Fair use of other network’s sports coverage for news generally doesn’t allow for networks to broadcast that coverage in other countries. Most organisations do have ‘news access’ rights which allow for some very limited use of footage on international networks. Understandbly, it’s cheaper to license a few Getty stills.

4 Likes

Bit of background, direct from the BBC.

5 Likes

Updated BBC Graphics

2 Likes

I honestly do like these. Modern, fresh and no more Helvetica! :smiley:

1 Like

They have large audiences in developing countries so accessibility is really important… (don’t know exactly what the stats are though)

2 Likes