Australian TV Presentation Borrowed from Overseas

The famous I Love Chicago, Chicago My Home news theme…

…as heard on Nine’s Early News (starts at 0:44):

3 Likes

And in the other direction, it’s still pretty obvious that EMTV in Papua New Guinea was once owned by Nine:

3 Likes

Of course, this well-known promo campaign…

…also had its origins on U.S. television:

3 Likes

Just change ‘Utah’ to ‘Melbourne’, that’s lunch everyone!

2 Likes

Milwaukee was the first city to receive the “Hello [insert place name]” treatment:

Here’s an interesting radio program that begins with a discussion about the legendary promo campaign:

From the broadcast:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. How can there be two best hometowns I know? That can’t be right.

For me, this is like finding out that your childhood teddy bear was owned by three other people on the weekends when you weren’t there.

3 Likes

The Sydney Harbour Bridge…

…was originally the Statue of Liberty:

And if that NBC Nightly News set seems vaguely familiar, this is why:

9 Likes

Yes, Seven pretty much took everything from NBC News in the late 80s

1 Like

and in Adelaide they tried to replicate that look with the Colonel Light statue, though it doesn’t quite carry the same weight as the Statue of Liberty :wink:

YouTube: sirmechie

3 Likes

And in a “reverse” borrowing, you’ll recognize the first open in this compilation from Puls4 in Austria:

2 Likes

Let’s all be there used by 7 in the mid 1980s

1 Like

America knew how to promote their networks.

That Puls4 intro was probably done by the same graphic designers who did the 2005-10 ABC News Opening Titles?

2 Likes

Compare this opening animation…

…with this one used by ABC News in the U.S.:

2 Likes

‘Decision Night in Australia’ is from NBC’s ‘Decision Night in America’.

2 Likes

Ten Evening News:

CBS Evening News:

2 Likes

Ten’s 1991 “That’s Entertainment” promo borrowed elements from CBS’s “Get Ready 1990” promo.

2 Likes

A consortium led by CRA (now part of Rio Tinto) and David Syme & Co, publisher of The Age in Melbourne and already majority owned by John Fairfax & Sons. Pamela Williams’ excellent book Killing Fairfax had several paragraphs on the consortium’s operation of ATV. The basic aim for the Australian consortium’s purchase of ATV was breaking into the mainland China market, which had only reopened its borders for foreign investment in 1978. Audience figures surged during 1979-1981 with several local hits, but competition from arch-rival TVB caused ratings to drop sharply, and the station began to lose money.

2 Likes

Nine’s Nightline, 1985:

The first edition of the original Nightline, ABC (U.S.), 1980:

And from New Zealand, here’s TV3’s Nightline, 1994:

4 Likes
4 Likes

This was my first memory of Seven. For me, it’s their best ID ever. I’m not a Seven fan, per se, but this was so damn snappy and bold. Amazing how much they could pack into a few seconds.

1 Like