Australian TV Presentation Borrowed from Overseas

No. At the time that ATV was using that, TVQ’s news theme was pretty much the same as TEN’s from what I could tell.

Speaking of Move Closer to Your World, here is the first intro from the first station that used the theme – WPVI in Philadelphia:

I believe they still use a version of the theme to this day.

Indeed:

1 Like

ABC World News Tonight theme.

Used by Nine for their late night bulletins The World Tonight and Nightline.

There is only a grab used in the Nightline theme.

3 Likes

BTW, WPVI commissioned an updated version of Move Closer to Your World in 1996. It was recorded in London by members of the the London Philharmonic and London Symphony Orchestra, but public reaction back in Philadelphia was so negative that it was discarded after just a few days, when the old theme was brought back.

Here is the short-lived theme:

And here is the full version of the original theme, including the vocals:

2 Likes

Reminds me of when Seven News briefly tried to change their theme.

Here’s an Australian theme and slogan…

…that made its way overseas – to ATV in Hong Kong, which was Australian-owned at the time:

1 Like

GTV9’s 1973 jingle “This is the Place to be in '73”.

the original as used by ABC America in 1971-73.

1 Like

Actually Nine had alliances with ABC and CBS during 1980s and 1990s which was rare.

Of course, Seven’s later logo was an ever-so-slightly modified version of this one:

Network 10’s logo back when they were called ITS.

ITS_1965-70

Was based on this log used by then West German TV network Deutsches Fernsehen.

ARD_Logo_1954

3 Likes

ABC Monday Night Football

and Ten’s cheap knock-off :slight_smile:

Yeah I thought Seven’s 5 colour idents from the late 90s and early 00s was an original idea, lol. Another borrowed NBC campaign.

1 Like

This news open…

…originated with NBC…

…but was also seen in South Africa:

The Sydney bulletin used the same theme as NBC (different to Melbourne) but I think it was without the NBC “chimes”.

1 Like

who owned it from Australia?

I’m not sure. This is what Wikipedia has to say on the subject:

In 1981, Rediffusion in the UK sold 61% of its shares in RTV to an Australian consortium. In July 1982, a Chinese enterprise called Far East Group (Chinese: 遠東機構), owned by the Chiu family, took a stake in the company, such that Far East Group and the Australian consortium each held 50% of RTV’s shares. The move marked the first time that a Chinese enterprise had played a role in RTV. RTV was renamed “Asia Television” later in the same year.[11] The company that operated ATV frequently recorded losses, and in January 1984, following the withdrawal of the Australian enterprise, the Chiu family bought all of the shares.

Nine’s short-lived “Come on Along” jingle from 1983.

ABC America’s better-sounding 1982 original

1 Like

In the 1960s, TVW7 imported its mascot from West Germany:

From the YouTube description:

On one of TVW Sales and Production Manager Brian Treasure’s many trips overseas, he encountered a mascot featured on the public broadcaster for the German state (Bundesland) of Hesse. This humorous animated seal was known as Onkel Otto (“Uncle Otto”) and was broadcast by the Hessian Broadcasting Company, or “Hessische Rundfunk”.

Uncle Otto was the creation of the famed German animator Hans Fischerkoesen, also known as Hans Fischerkösen or Hans Fischer, (18 May 1896 - 23 April 1973).

The brief Otto clips related to the previous commercial shown, such as a coffee, ice cream, car, alcohol or cigarette advertisement. The longer clips were musically accompanied by the tune “Holiday Party” by Roger Roger.

TVW Channel 7 in Perth used these comedic clips in each commercial break during the early to mid 1960s.

3 Likes

Uncle otto was before Fat Cat on TVW-7