Australian TV industry - General Discussion

From ACMA:

Proposal to remake the Primary TV Services Declaration - IFC 11/2020

We are proposing to remake the Primary TV Services Declaration.

Read more about it here: https://www.acma.gov.au/consultations/2020-05/proposal-remake-primary-tv-services-declaration-ifc-112020

Consultations opened yesterday (Monday 4th May), and will be closed to public submissions on Friday 10th July.

Appears on the face to just be updating service information?

Yep - the existing declaration only lasts 10 years - interestingly, the existing one was last updated in 2016 though

https://tbivision.com/2020/07/01/banijay-gets-ec-antitrust-clearance-for-endemol-shine-acquisition/

Banijay chairman Stéphane Courbit’s LOV Group will become the sole owner of the combined business, with French conglomerate Vivendi, Italian group De Agostini and French finance group Fimalac the other main shareholders.

The merger could see Australian production companies Screentime (owned by Banijay) and Endemol Shine coming under the one roof. The upcoming third season of Junior MasterChef Australia should be the first locally made program under the merger.

UPDATE 6/7: Banijay revealed its new brand identity today.
https://tbivision.com/2020/07/06/banijay-rebrands-following-endemol-shine-group-acquisition/
Banijay_Logo

Has anyone here ever been in a studio audience for a live or pre-recorded program?

If so, which show, and did you find it interesting, and what did you learn from it about how TV is made?

I haven’t yet, but am keen to see “Hot Seat” being made, whenever filming resumes in Melbourne with a studio audience again.

1 Like

Many years ago…

Hey Hey It’s Saturday, Sale Of The Century, Starstruck, Bert’s Family Feud at GTV9
Tonight Live, Acropolis Now at HSV7
The Comedy Company and Rove Live at Nunawading

The most recent would have been Eurovision A To Z for SBS which was taped at a warehouse converted into a studio in Coburg

I also did once, sometime around 2005, get suckered in by Seven’s ads seeking a studio audience for a “hilarious new comedy show”. It wasn’t until we were in the studio and seated that the “hilarious” show was a Funniest Home Video Show ripoff. Worst show ever.

5 Likes

I’ve been to a Hot Seat taping, it was a great experience. Even though it took all day, as five (IIRC) episodes were taped in a row, the warmup guy (whose name is escaping me atm) was great at keeping up spirits. We were even fed a small lunch halfway through and there was a cash giveaway towards the end.

6 Likes

Thanks! Great to know!

Was it all day for just 5 episodes?

If so, that’s interesting, sounded like they must average out at about 90 minutes per episode?

Something rather odd I’ve noticed - not sure if this was announced but will ask anyway

I’ve noticed all of 7’s main channels are in 1080p only in Cairns, is this the case everywhere in network owned markets?

Refer to top right of images below;

@TV.Cynic is this the same for SC?

I had a relative attend a taping for Deal Or No Deal several years ago. They were there about 12-13 hours to do a week of episodes. It was a very long day and I don’t think they got much sustenance to keep them perky!

4 Likes

It’s been like that in regional Queensland for just under 2 years. A stop-gap measure to launch 7HD in time for the cricket, just like Darwin.

The funny thing is, Seven has now moved to NPC, launched 7mate HD in MPEG-4, but still continue to use the “temporary” 7HD MPEG-2 on 7, 70 and 71. I wonder why they don’t just replicate the 5 majors?

I like it though. It’s exactly what regional WA networks should do to get around the MPEG-4-to-MPEG-2 conversion problem they have at their transmission sites. Stick to MPEG-2 for everything for now. Seven Qld proves it can be done.

5 Likes

Seven QLD main channel is in MPEG 2 HD on channel 7, 70 and 71.

The change happened in Nov 2018

Edit: To save bandwidth they broadcast 1440x1080 rather than 1920x1080

4 Likes

The channel looks quite good considering it’s MPEG2 and 1440x1080…

Other markets should consider doing this.

2 Likes

It doesn’t quite stand up next to the 7 Brisbane HD channel but it is a huge improvement over the SD channel that regional QLD had. Though both channels struggle with all the multichannels that are now in operation.

2 Likes

I was going to ask how the quality is. Must be reminiscent of how SBS HD used to look before getting super blocky after Food Network’s launch. Passable, but slightly inferior to anyone who prefers HD viewing.

But hey, anything’s better than WIN HD WA on terrestrial. :slight_smile:

Terrestrial:

Satellite:

3 Likes

7HD Brisbane vs 7HD MPEG2 regional some caps from times when there wasn’t much motion - in screen caps it’s v hard to see any difference. Plus it also depends on what type of programming is on the channel plus what is on the multichannels at the time.

A bit more motion and the blockiness appears.

2 Likes

Nice comparisons. I agree, as long as the bandwidth is there it can easily pass as a decent grade HD service for most people.

The movement comparison is interesting. There’s something about rich purples and blues that really strains HD quality, even MPEG-4 as this one shows. It’s especially noticable during The Masked Singer promos on 10/WIN and the background scoreboard on The Chase.

2 Likes

There’s nothing MPEG hates more than a confetti shower - looks something like this

1 Like

I would say this has to do with bitrates. Confetti is a ton to process though.

Channel 9 handles it better though.

I noticed in that last comparison there was much more colour than the Brisbane feed!

1 Like

Could be mistaken for Rove in that cap.

2 Likes