Australian Survivor

Will Tough Talking Des Survive?

Aussie larrikin Des is a courier driver from the Sunshine Coast and one of the 24 everyday people selected to compete in Network Ten’s spectacular new family entertainment series Australian Survivor.

Stranded on the rugged tropical paradise of Samoa, 59-year old Des and his fellow contestants will be deprived of basic comforts, left to gather their own food and fend for themselves. For up to 55 days they will outwit, outplay and outlast each other to win the half a million dollar prize and the title of sole survivor.

Des boasts that he will surprise everyone with his brains. His game plan is to observe and befriend his fellow tribe-mates and then ultimately become the puppet master, pulling the strings from behind the scenes.

Des says: “I intend to make some big moves because the meek may inherit the Earth, but they don’t win Australian Survivor. In the game, my word is glass. It’s meant to be broken in case of fire.”

Straight-talking Des talks a big game. He says: “I’m born to play a villainous game. If they don’t get rid of me first, they are gonna be in trouble.”

Des was a Sergeant in the Australian Army for seven years and has experience living in tough conditions. Since leaving the army he has worked in a variety of different industries including auto-mapping, computing, pest control and publishing, and says: “I don’t look like the smartest bloke but I’ve actually got a few brains.”

A family man with three daughters, Des has been happily married for 37 years to Caroline, whom he affectionately calls “The Queen”. When he told his wife he was leaving the family behind to compete in Australian Survivor, she had one piece of advice: “Don’t come home without the bacon.”

Having quality time with his family is very important to Des and winning the half million dollar prize money would go towards helping his daughters get the best start in life.

1 Like

In the above promo - what is this contestant wearing and WHY??

1 Like

I also thought that was very odd when it was shown during Masterchef & Offspring tonight, it doesn’t even look appropriate for the first day arrival on the island. Strange, very strange indeed.

She might be fun

Well US Surivvor you often have them arrive on the island in suits or different attires. The reason being is that producers go through their entire luggage and pick what they want them to wear to the island for a number of reasons - could be certain colours based on tribe divisions, or in seasons with tribes split by themes to more represent that, or even to just not have everyone wearing the same boring similar colours. For the same reasons contestants have to bring 3 different bathing outfits are told which one to wear as well.

Probably the case with Aussie Survivor as well but the hat just takes it to a new level. WTF.

Latest contestant profile

Will Sam Be Australia’s Sole Survivor?

Sam from New South Wales is the CEO and co-founder of a mental health and suicide prevention organisation, and one of the tough and tenacious contestants set to appear in Australian Survivor, Network Ten’s spectactular and unmissable new family entertainment series.

Sam’s charm, compassion and competitive nature may prove an intoxicating mix when he joins his 23 fellow competitors on the tropical island paradise of Samoa. Here he will need to outwit, outplay and outlast all others to win the half a million dollar prize and title of sole survivor.

Sam, 28, says: “I pride myself on mateship and loyalty. I connect really well with people and can build relationships. I’m an open book and I’m open to anything. I’m open to romance.”

Sam’s sense of mateship is one of his core values, driving him in his professional motivation. He co-founded the mental health and suicide prevention organisation LIVIN after one of his close friends took his own life.

“It changed my entire life purpose and mission,” Sam says. “I now use tragedy to inspire people in a positive way. Overall, I make decisions in life by asking myself ‘does it make me happier?’, so I do everything for the better. I don’t waste time doing things that don’t move me. I’m all in.”

Sam says Australian Survivor is the ultimate self-challenge. “Stepping out of my comfort zone motivates me. I love anything where I could be vulnerable. This will grow me as a person and help others find hope – although this is so far out of my comfort zone, I can’t wait.”

3 Likes

So now after featuring strong like minded women in commercials they now decide to feature the career driven hot guy haha. Interesting how certain contestants are being selected individually for these. Out of 24 you would think that focusing on particular people probably means they at least don’t go the first few weeks.

Waiting for the “hat lady”.

1 Like

Unless they have made 24 adds to play over the roughly 24 days until it premieres. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

Premieres August… So I reckon it will go straight after the olympics finish. So towards the end of August.

1 Like

Promo just aired during HYBPA?

The famous conch call from Ancient Voices played.
Fingers crossed!!

No way. They have focused on the same 5 or so contestants for the last month. There are promos with multiple contestants but its those same ones as well. They do the same with the Bachelor. As Sam Frost pointed out for the Bachelor/Bachelorette, every season the winner has been one of the handful of picked contestants having individual promos. I think it’s the same for Survivor.

Possibly but filming has only just finished hasn’t it?

That wasn’t really a serious suggestion/thought. Ten struggle enough to make a few good promos, let alone 24!

1 Like

Sam the Charity CEO was on the NRL Footy Show tonight so filming must be finished.

Just did a bit of a google search and looks like filming started sometime in May and completed sometime in July. It actually could explain the focus on Sam the last couple of weeks. I swear almost every commercial now is just focusing on Sam (the good looking CEO guys) and Kylie (the mother who claims she is going to play a strong game). They are shoving these people in our faces so much that there has to be a reason for it.

Huge amount of new info in tonight’s 2 minute promo - challenges, fire making, shelter construction, more contestants. Someone with a keen eye can probably work out the tribe names.

The promo

How really great are these promos. SO well done.

1 Like

I agree. If Survivor doesn’t do well at least ten gave it a red hot chance at success.