Australian Spartan

TV Week has stories about Australian Spartan and the screening times as Sunday 7pm so there must have been some planning there for some time.

Olympics Closing Ceremony shown as starting at 8.30pm. On 7mate TBA 6.30pm-8.30pm.

MKR Monday to Thursday.

2 Likes

If it is carry over, then WA viewers watching Australian Spartan will have missed out on a large chunk of closing ceremony and they won’t be happy.

My EPG says

Seven Perth
1900: Australian Spartan
2030: Closing Ceremony

7mate Perth
1735 Olympics Closing Ceremony Countdown
1900 Olympics Closing Ceremony (continues until 2100)

Well it hasn’t stopped them any other day from switching channels like that like today with David Morris’ aerial jump being shown on 7mate in Perth and moving to 7 later, without a replay showing…

You don’t need us to tell you that there is a huge difference between live action and a choreographed ceremony. It would be like starting a movie halfway through, makes no sense.

According to TV Tonight’s interview with Eddy, season 1 will have six episodes (four heats, the semi final and the grand final). Also I saw some interesting comments by a reader named Nate, who said he went to filming of season 2 which was done back to back with season 1 last December. Seven must be confident of the show’s ratings that two seasons were shot in the same period.

1 Like

It makes sense though. Have it in the can to run later in the year (and maybe not as far away as some would assume) and minimise production costs with no need to re-create the sets which no doubt are rather elaborate.

5 Likes

As terrable as this is to say, I sort of hope the first season flops just to see 7 scramble as they wonder what to do with their second season.

1 Like

They could always screen it at Easter.

If this flops, which is highly unlikely given all the positive comments I’ve seen from people in the last few days on social media etc, then I’ll be expecting ANW to do the same later on in the year. It wouldn’t make sense if ANW can do well and Spartan can’t when they are similar shows. It would just prove to me how many Nine fanatics there really are out there…

I do not care for the genre at all (so don’t expect me to watch either show) but I could see a situation where the viewers perceive Spartin as an imitation or rip-off of ANW and don’t watch because of that.

I could also see people being drawn to MAFS over Spartin because of the buzz that MAFS is generating (while ANW only had to contend with MC and My House Rules, two shows that generated less buzz).

2 Likes

A big difference to me is that Ninjas runs over consecutive nights and is over in a few weeks but it looks like Seven want you to wait a week between episodes of Spartan. Another difference is what is on the other networks at the same time.

3 Likes

Perhaps those viewers could make an actual decision about which program they would prefer to watch, or if their circumstances permit, utilise a recording device or catch-up service.

5 Likes

there you go Channel 9, proof people can see it for what it is - a direct ripoff… If Seven can sue you guys for the food “ripoff”, you should take this to court and see how 7 likes it back.

Except for the fact that they’re both overseas franchises. Neither Seven nor Nine can be bothered creating anything themselves these days.

7 Likes

Tonight’s Better Homes and Gardens has a segment on the construction of the Spartan course in Brisbane. Apparently, the main Spartan logo (mask) set is more than 5m high.

EDIT: the video can be seen here

1 Like

Spartan sponsored Snapchat filter

1 Like

The winning team would also get a Spartan Shield.

1 Like

Hamish and his commentary…agony.

1 Like

A bit harsh don’t you think?