Australian Spartan

No need to replay the Closing Ceremony on 7 at 8.30pm after airing it live on 7mate. Unusual programming strategy for 7.

Considering they said after the promotional launch of commonwealth games I would say this is a last minute decision.

Why should they rest on their laurels and not launch new programs when they can?

People criticise them when they air MKR five nights a week. Now people criticise them for trying to launch something else.

2 Likes

I wasn’t critiquing them. Just saying it was strange considering they said it would come after the commonwealth games. Not sure what your definition of criticise is.

Just do a half hour news, Spartan at 6.30 and Closing Ceremony on an hour delay from 8pm.

that would go down well :thinking:

3 Likes

My recommendation would’ve been the standard primetime programing on the main channel and the Winter Olympics Closing Ceremony live on 7mate with LCN-70 simulcasting 7mate content for the day (like what happened in Perth for a West Coast Eagles AFL Finals match last year). I think that would keep most people reasonably happy.

2 Likes

There’s a good chance that Nine would run Ninja Warriors earlier this year and the two would clash. Wouldn’t put it past Seven to say it was coming after the Commonwealth Games as a furphy to throw off the competition but had planned to do it this way, all along.

3 Likes

Why not?

It’s not live sport, it is not as if people can check the results online before it is broadcast.

1 Like

Considering all the criticism the Opening Ceremony copped, this is the last thing Seven would need for their Closing Ceremony coverage if they made such a stupid move as this.

I don’t think people are going to march down to Seven with pitch forks and torches if ceremonies aren’t live, Opening included.

I personally wouldn’t care.

It’s not the 1980s?

2 Likes

Hmmm :thinking:

Well they can put the first hour on Mate if they want.

I personally wouldn’t. America puts it on delay… an hour of delays is not a big deal.

I would say if you want to watch it live, download the app. Or watch it on one hour delay. I’m not sure that watching the ceremony live is a necessity.

Closing Ceremony is scheduled for 7-9pm on 7mate live then replayed at 8.30pm on 7.

Is that a replay or just continued coverage from 7mate though, like just a change of channels?

Ceremony live on 7mate, replayed on 7. Awkward scheduling for Perth.

1 Like

Where does it say it is actually a replay since I thought it was just carry-over coverage like when the main channel has been going to news and MKR etc.

Agree - with the benefit of hindsight, it’s one of those things we probably should have known was going to happen considering the amount of promotion it’s been getting since November would have been disproportionate for a show that wouldn’t (in theory) begin until after the Commonwealth Games. However, the ‘conventional wisdom’ being a perfectly logical argument ‘blinded’ us to that.

About the programming move itself, I think it’s a smart one - it offers a genuine alternative to MAFS & I’m a Celebrity so you’re going to have people watching because of that and the program airing once-a-week means Seven will get much more mileage out of AS then Nine did out of Ninja Warrior

2 Likes

Plus we’re avoiding the scenario where they are both airing at the same time. People who liked Ninja should like this too and maybe they will watch both this and Ninja when it airs later in the year on Nine.

1 Like