Australian Open Rights 2025-

Nick Kyrgios is such an enigmatic player that Nine cannot rely on him for promos for the Australian Open if the network retains the rights.

I have also checked out the latest tennis rankings. Of men’s top 10, Nadal and Djokovic are legends but I expect them to bow out in 2 or 3 years time. Medvedev, Zverev and Tsitsipas are well known to tennis fans but they are not household names like Federer, Nadal or Djokovic.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wouldn’t think it would be an increase to $100 million a year given the superstars of the sport are retiring.

Hopefully a middle ground is found as this deal has been great for tennis fans with the other slams all being on Stan Sport.

7 did the sport with respect in its later years so the big hope is that the terms of the deal doesn’t change depending on where they go.

2 Likes

Also TA are looking to make their money back from the quarantine year too. There is that too.

1 Like

1 - Nine could get Cricket, tests are played before Aus Open, so no effect to channels within the Nine stable. Test would be on the Main channels, tennis would be on Gem/Go as per what happens to the pre Aus Open Tour games now, with Aus Open on Main Channel.

2 - current Oz Gov would have lots to stay about that. Test and ODI are still meant to be on FTA. :man_shrugging: (thanks seven).

3 - makes sense if ten go all out and spread cricket across their platforms. For me I would like to see it go back to the Nine/Ten cricket partnership; it gave that sport so many different eyes than just stuck behind one channel.

4 Likes

My prediction 10/Paramount will obtain the next cricket rights. Nine will retain the Tennis rights.

Seven will invest into entertainment based programming over summer. But I can also see Seven potentially picking up Melbourne Cup and the F1 Melbourne Race.

I kinda doubt that as:

1. Paramount+/Stan have launched, so it would have to be spread across Nine/Stan/10/Paramount+, and I doubt Paramount would want to share with a competing streaming service. They would not like it especially if it was a simulcast deal with Stan Sport.

2. Foxtel will do whatever it takes to get the Cricket on Foxtel/Kayo, even know Seven does not want the rights to Cricket anymore and Nine/Ten will be with Stan/Paramount+. I would say Foxtel would go as far as a Nine/Ten/Foxtel/Stan/Paramount+/Kayo deal with some sport simulcast over all three.

If Nine gets Tennis rights and Seven does not want Cricket, I could see it mostly heading to Ten/Paramount+ especially as they lost the bid for AFL.

2 Likes

10/P+ the front-runners for cricket. Foxtel can’t have cricket exclusively and the Australian Govt won’t allow it to happen.

For 7, their ratings will be in single digits in summer if they lose cricket rights.

1 Like

Have to wonder again with media speculation on sports rights just how accurate they are and who is driving the speculation. It often seems that it is the sports governing body that has the most to gain .

The talks of $500m per year started in February before Ash Barty retired.

Ash Barty at centre of unprecedented $500m TV war

It was then reported.

2 Likes

And then the same masthead back-tracked with another story this time going back towards a high deal, after Kyrgios’ performance at Wimbledon (runner-up in the final), also backed up by the US Open (quarter finals).

1 Like

10 needs to go after Cricket and Tennis and hopefully get one of them

6 Likes

It would depend on what either station wanted and how/what CA is going to do.

They sold the last rights as smaller packages.

Ten might see more growth in having just the BBL as they did in the past.

Only time will tell.

And remember everyone said 10 was a front runner for the Supercars/AFL and how did that play out?

Test matches/ ODI/ T20 on Nine and BBL on Ten would be a good outcome for viewers, as they have both done this well in the past and it would benefit both networks.

4 Likes

This won’t happen, especially with the new government wanting more sport on FTA (good thing)

2 Likes

Looks like Nine will extend their existing deal, with a significant uplift in $/year

6 Likes

Not a massive surprise there in my opinion. Nine were never going to let the rights go. And TA have no real reason other than maybe money to go with someone else after the success and ease of a partner Nine have been.

3 Likes

If Ash Barty didn’t retire earlier this year, TA probably would have been tempted to test the market and see if there could have been a bidding war for the rights.

Regardless, Nine paying 70%+ more per year to retain the AO rights (assuming their own reporting is correct) from 2025 onwards is a hefty increase - one which makes TA’s decision not to go to the market understandable.

1 Like

But any organisation, especially tennis, would be really foolish to base any figures on one player, no matter how successful or that perceived success to continue (e.g.) unlikely, but she could’ve bombed out R1 of the 2025 Open, has happeend to even bigger (globally) names before.

I’d think it’s more about what the tournament, or even entire summer, delivers for a broadcaster and advertisers, that being the sustained or frequency of eyes across a smorgasbord-like event.

Of course but as the AFL rights process demonstrated, the timing of when a sports league/competition a) goes out to market and/or b) finalises a rights deal can play a role in how much they end up getting.

1 Like

One does wonder now how desperate (as they themselves and other media reportedly said) Seven are/were to get the deal back, what (if any) conversations were had with TA and what they were truly willing to cough up, presuming current management regret their offer/ decisions in early 2018 and the rather unbelievable success broadly speaking Nine have since had.

But I guess that’s what that exclusive period for Nine gets them and as TVT shared from Warburton last week, maybe a case of bitter pill to swollow or tough titties.

TA were in the exclusive negotiating period with 9. With such a great rights relationships they’ve decided to extend with a significant increase in rights fee.

This isn’t like the hopeless NRL who extend deals without going to market and never extract value. They haven’t even revealed what they’re worth because it’s a dud deal ajd V’Landys would embarrass himself. Instead he lies.

5 Likes