Australian Ninja Warrior

Correct but also helps boost the audience in Melbourne

Wasn’t it to do with noise restrictions at the former site also?

5 Likes

Possibly but it was a huge effort production and logistics wise doing it on the island

The first two seasons were filmed at Cockatoo Island in the middle of Sydney Harbour. It was hard to imagine the filming would generate so much noise to surrounding areas.

That was the reason given

The series was forced to find a new location after Sydneysiders complained about noise-levels during late-night shoots.

1 Like

According to today’s Herald Sun, former West Coast AFL player Brent Staker competed on the third season.

You can still see the outlines of the course in the form of dead grass where they had the course set up back in December. I’m actually very interested in the finale this year as I remember the night they filmed it was that night Melbourne had some really wild crazy weather and super strong winds… so I always wondered if that would affect the filming (it would have had to in some way unless they delayed it to another night).

The series is expected to last around 4 weeks with heats, semi-finals and 2 x grand finals.

Since the first week has only two episodes due to The Voice grand final tomorrow and State of Origin decider on Wednesday, if Ninja Warrior is to finish in four weeks it will have to be shown from Sunday to Wednesday in weeks 2 to 4.

SEASON 3

Australian Ninja Warrior is back with a bang – all new, with huge cash incentives, tougher obstacles and fresh faces.

Two hundred inspired, everyday athletes have been training in preparation to take on the world’s toughest and most renowned obstacle course. Mums and dads, tradies and farmers, students and business owners of all shapes, sizes and ages from across Australia will line up to see if they have what it takes to win.

Amongst the new faces are some fan favourites who are back to attempt the course once again – Pa Rambo, Flashlin’ Ashlin Herbert, Olivia Vivian and Barefoot Ninja Dan Mason to name a few. But with transformed obstacles that have been altered to challenge the competitors in new and unexpected ways, they are on an even playing field with the new generation facing the course in their work boots and tool belts.

Aside from pure grit and determination, there is an added motivation for the Ninjas this time around: this year there will be a winner.

The competitor who goes furthest on the course in the fastest time will be the Season 3 winner and will take home $100,000. And further upping the ante, a competitor who makes it up Mt Midoriyama wins an extra $200,000 and the title of Australia’s first Ninja Warrior.

The course boasts many exciting new elements this season, and one is the Mega Warped Wall. At 5.25 metres it is one metre taller than the existing Warped Wall, and any Ninja who conquers it pockets $5,000 cash instantly.

Hundreds of everyday Aussie competitors with one shared goal: to win.

1 Like

Not loving this “New City, New Attitude” angle for their promotion.

Do viewers particularly care whether a show is filmed in Melbourne or Sydney?

I’d argue it makes a insignificant difference in the scheme of things where there are so many other factors - genre, quality, length, availability etc

Historically yes, it has played a factor.

Last night I saw the latest promo while watching the recording of The Voice finals. The promo mentioned something like three episodes each week for three weeks. That will make nine episodes in total. However with State of Origin game three on Wednesday, it means Ninja Warrior will actually air over four weeks, with the grand final likely on Sunday, July 28.

Only in Melbourne. The rest of the country couldn’t give a fig.

Me neither.

It doesn’t make sense. Why would the location make any difference to the “attitude”?

They also won’t be able to call it Ninja Island now either. Wonder if they’ll come up with a new name for that?

Can’t say we really care either.

I don’t doubt it. Perhaps someone should tell this clown.

1 Like

I think it used to, but as things have grown more global I don’t think anyone cares, obviously the industry people do for jobs but that’s about all. It may bump the audience slightly in Melbourne this season not sure.

2 Likes

Despite the move of production to Melbourne I’d personally be willing to predict that Australian Ninja Warrior will rate just as good if not better for Nine in the Sydney market this year than it did in 2018, partly due to weak competition from Seven & Ten.