Australian Ninja Warrior

Not really a surprise, Lisa posted about it on her Instagram months ago and people put 2 & 2 together.

Based on what was shown in the promo, the ‘controversy’ that stopped the show on Sunday night appears to have been a segment where a competitor asked for a step in the course to be dried before he started. So the promo was in fact a complete fabrication.

After tonight’s Media Watch also showed up last week’s 60 Minutes promo it looks like the Nine promo department is turning into the New Idea of Australian TV - make up any story to get viewers.

8 Likes

With Sunday Herald Sun reporting the new season of The Block premiering on August 5, that means Ninja Warrior’s season two grand final should be held on either July 31 (the same night as MasterChef finale) or August 1 (the same night as Australian Survivor premiere).

1 Like

How does that work. They said 4 semi finals so that is 22 / 23 / 24 and 29.

I was expecting 2 night grand final 30 and 31.

How are they stretching out past that?

Perhaps a compilation special on July 30 then part 1 of the grand final on July 31?

Oddly enough, last night was the first time I’ve sat down to watch a significant amount of Ninja Warrior (after MasterChef finished), around 10 to 9pm, 20min waiting for the movie Inferno to start.

It reminds me heavily of Wipeout over a decade ago and frankly isn’t anything riveting, I guess seeing them try and complete a stage is fun enough, form what I saw all very athletic. Rebecca Maddern and Ben Fordham sound really different, yes they’re yelling maybe because they have to, but what’s with the narration during graphics, sounds even worse (post production I think someone mentioned - Bec went back to work earlier this year?) like someone had purposefully altered their tone or something for effect?

I won’t be making the effort to watch this show again, putit that way. But boring IMO.

3 Likes

They’re the only reason I cannot watch the show. The yelling, constant over-reacting, faux shock when someone does something. When everything is the most amazing thing in the world, nothing is. I wish I could get past it because I think it’s an okay show, but I just can’t.

1 Like

Compared to the hype of last season, Ninja Warrior seems a bit ‘meh’ this year.

For a start, why the emphasis on returning contestants? What’s so fascinating about them that Nine are spending most of the show over-exposing these contestants? Then there are the presenters. I like Bec and Ben (when he’s on Today with Georgie Gardner) but I absolutely detest them on the show. So many ‘This is INCREDIBLE’ moments (repeat x420). Heck, they make people like Alison Ariotti sound tame.

Overall this year’s Ninja is just very bland and unwatchable. Just when you think that Australian Spartan and Cannonball were bad enough (although in hindsight, at least they took the hype off Ninja Warrior. Seven must be laughing so hard to themselves)…

5 Likes

Yeah it’s ridiculous. I’ve only seen snippets this year but pretty much every time I flick it on they are focusing on a returning contestant and it really puts you off. My opinion is if they weren’t good enough to complete it the first time then why would we want to see them do it again? I’d much rather see new people doing it who might be better than the ones from last year.

4 Likes

People might have different opinions but I think Nine have made a very bad decision by making the series a condensed version of American Ninja Warrior. If you look at the American version, there isn’t an over-exposure of past contestants (even though they do feature) and more on the course itself. IMO they should’ve done individual finals in cities (Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne etc) and then move straight into a real ‘Mt Midoriyama’ course just like the American one, and stretch the series out like the Block as well for some real damage to the other networks.

The way Nine has produced this series is serious underwhelming. Seven and Ten have been brave to take on Ninja head on this year and seems to be the big winners. Goes to show that even the biggest hit has its shortfalls.

1 Like

I get very tired of the two commentators, Rebecca Maddern and Ben Fordham screaming over the top and talking crap instead of concentrating the run. It annoyed the hell out of me. What annoys me was Ben Fordham’s screaming voice looking almost like Ray Warren.

1 Like

Are you suggesting Ninja Warrior should be stretched out longer? Not sure how that would help it. Also in the USA do they have courses in different cities? I saw the American course when I was in Vegas last year and assumed it was the only one.

1 Like

The Ninja Warrior Grand final is over two nights Monday 30 and Tuesday 31 July.

When we can be pretty certain that there will once again be no Australian Ninja Warrior crowned.

That will put it up against the House Rules final on Monday and MasterChef on Tuesday.

1 Like

I dont watch the show and don’t know how it actually works but I thought nine teased there would be a winner this year.

Wow they are really putting it up against the Masterchef finale? Given Masterchef has often been out rating Ninja not a smart move at all. They should have it on the Wednesday which would give it a stronger peak audience and possibly damage the launch of Australian Survivor. This way they are just guaranteed to fizz out.

How did they tease there would be a winner? There usually isn’t. If they said in a promo there was going to be a winner that completely spoils the outcome of the show, which is that it’s very rare for someone to complete the final course.

Something about “history will be made” but I believe that was something in episode 4 about a record number of women - just the usual PR spin.

Edit: Episode 4 synopsis “Tonight, history will be made on the Australian Ninja Warrior course.”

Re the ratings performance; it was way down from episode one. So possibly those who watched last year didn’t like some aspects of the show and it looked from the promos that it would be the same again so they didn’t watch. Also, I think the approach taken with this year’s promos contributed. Rather than highlight the family friendly aspects, it seemed to be about returnees, failures, Corey Worthington, and lots of sensational claims e.g. last week’s “controversy that stopped the show”. This time it didn’t work.

I thought i read an article that said something but it could be whatever happened in episode 4. I dont watch it and dont really know how it works and don’t care to be quite frank.

Last night when I watched this show, no one pressed the buzzer and many people failed.