Australian Idol

I think ultimately it is up to the performer themselves.

The Voice has never had a good track record when it comes to making stars. Idol and X Factor have a record, although not from the last season.

Denvah probably had the best chance to make it with country music.

5 Likes

Since winning The Voice last year, Tarryn Stokes had performed in WA three times: at the Perth Telethon in October, at the Mandurah Crab Fest a couple of weeks ago and in Harvey on the weekend. She had also sung at Carols in the Domain in Sydney last December. Strangely she hasn’t been invited to appear at this Friday’s Royal Children’s Hospital Good Friday Appeal given she hails from Melbourne.

1 Like

No sexism intended, but male Idols have proven to be more commercially successful than female winners in Australia.

This was the sixth season out of nine (including the seven seasons on Ten) where the winner was male. Of the three female winners, Casey Donovan is the most notable as she has continued in stage music to this day.

1 Like

But Casey wasn’t nearly as successful as Guy was initially but found success on the stage but that happened years later.

3 Likes
1 Like

Looking at the ratings, the show hit a peak in week 6 on Sunday night 3 March with 950k national average. It dropped after that and only just made it back to that level for the final. Perhaps it was increased competition as MAFS and Survivor’s audiences trended up at that stage. Perhaps also associated with some backlash at who was eliminated early.

2 Likes

Australian Idol sings for Seven

Grand Finale hooks 1.84 million, 2024 season up 5% year on year

The Seven Network’s blockbuster 2024 season of Australian Idol ended on a high note last night, with part two of the Grand Finale reaching 1.84 million Australians on Channel 7 and 7plus.

The crowning of Dylan Wright as this year’s winner pulled in an average national total TV audience of 955,000, up 2% on the 2023 Grand Finale and the biggest audience ever for an episode of Australian Idol on Seven.

Part one of the Grand Finale on Sunday night drew an average audience of 891,000 and reached 1.98 million, as Dylan, Amy Reeves and Denvah Baker-Moller sung it out for a recording contract with music industry giant Sony Music Entertainment Australia and $100,000 in prize money.

Across its full 2024 season, Australian Idol reached 10.8 million people. Its average total TV audience was 922,000, up 5.3% on 2023.

This year’s season broke voting records and was a smash hit across social media, reaching 20 million people and generating 60 million impressions and 3.5 million engagements across all @AustralianIdol accounts.
Seven’s Chief Content Officer, Entertainment Programming, Angus Ross, said: “Two decades after Guy Sebastian won the very first season, Australia’s love affair with Australian Idol is still strong and it remains great family entertainment.

“This year’s season was one of the best yet, thanks to our amazing judges Marcia Hines, Kylie Sandilands and Amy Shark, our great hosts Ricki-Lee and Scott Tweedie, and our incredibly talented contestants from all around the country.

“Congratulations to Dylan and a massive thank you to everyone who worked so hard on camera and behind the scenes to make Australian Idol such a success,” he said.

Produced for Seven by Eureka Productions, Australian Idol will return to Channel 7 and 7plus in 2025.

1 Like

A bit of both I would say. Although all things considered, the show sustained most of it’s audience for the series. Seven would be happy that it grew on last year.

3 Likes

Interesting and I guess good on their part, that Seven (and 10) appear to be sticking firm to the new VOZ system and what’s now published to media, as well as an assumed ‘gentlemens agreement’ between the networks on it (such as seen with no more split codings for programs and winners announcement)… By not highlighting markets, five city, peak minute, shares, etc.

Unlike Nine. Not sure about ABC and SBS publicity.

But on the flip side, us here on MS would be at a disadvantage and poorer in terms of tradition here and analysing ratings if Nine followed Seven and 10 :man_shrugging:

This season looked like it was doing way better and higher than last year but I’m surprised that the Grand Finale was only up 2%.

Is there info on how much it’s up this year compared to last year on average?

The three grand finalists all posted on Instagram this afternoon.

Dylan:

Oh what a night! Feeling on top of the world today. From the bottom of my heart, thank you all so so much for your incredible support throughout my entire @australianidol journey, it has been absolutely overwhelming and I couldn’t have done it without you.

To my family and close friends, you guys are amazing. To Georgia and my two beautiful girls, this is for you. Let the next chapter begin :blue_heart:

Amy:

And that’s a wrap!!
What an incredible journey it’s been, I’m so grateful to everyone that has supported me these last few months. Theres no way I could’ve gotten to the end of this without you. Huge congratulations to @dylanwrightmusic for taking this thing out!!! So bloody well deserved, you’re incredible and I can’t wait to see what you do next Dyl 🫶🏼 And to my girl Denny @denvah_music_ I’m so proud of you and everything you do, thank you for being so authentically DENVWAHHHH :heart: :fire: I’ve met some really incredible people during this time. Could not feel more blessed x

This isn’t the end, this is just the beginning :star2: :sparkling_heart:

Stay tuned, and all my love
Amy from Broome xxx

Denvah:

Dear Dylan,

If I could sum up last night in one picture it would be this one. You did it, like I always knew you would and I am so astronomically proud of you. The most deserving and the most humble - go take over the world Dyl, I’ll be in the front row watching :white_heart:

1 Like

I’m happy he won too👍

Up 2% compared to last year mostly due to regionals by the looks of it

Also need to consider that the national ratings number this year includes regional areas that weren’t included in ratings in the past so an exact year-on-year national comparison is difficult.

4 Likes

I want to bring Young Divas back please? Yes!!!

It’s not a great song. I doubt it will sell.

2 Likes

They botched it. Should have been performed the night before and he only sang half the song when he won.

1 Like

Probably because this show makes no sense in terms of current industry movements and music discovery. Especially if you are trying to fashion a ‘pop star’

1 Like

Well 5 of the top 6 contestants were all from regional towns - so not surprising. I guess it’s one of the few shows where regional Australia has felt really well represented.

Never going to happen.

Yeah back in the day when both contestants sang the winners song before the finale, you kind of already knew it by the time they won. Hearing a short version after Dylan won just didn’t sound very good or memorable to me.

Anyone out there in radio land ever hear this song played? According to Online Radio Box K-Rock Geelong played it yesterday at 10.54am local time.