Australian Idol

He just seems like a nice guy hey.

1 Like

8 becomes 6.

So next Monday’s result show will still have a bottom 4? More “favourites” will be there.

1 Like

I know they didn’t mean it the way it came across but it was pretty offensive to those 4 who were safe that the judges kept saying how shocked they were about the bottom 4 and that they shouldnt have been there. I mean if not them, who? There was 8 left. 2 had to go. It just didn’t look good.

7 Likes

Shock result sets the Top 6

Angelina and Noora leave Australian Idol

Tonight, a tight night of voting on Australian Idol saw the nation choose its Top 6, leading to the shock elimination of Angelina Curtis and Noora H on Channel 7 and 7plus.

Safe from the public vote, 20-year-old Josh Hannan had reason to smile as he joined his fellow contestants for a group performance of Don’t Dream It’s Over by iconic Aussie band Crowded House before the verdict was delivered.

Hosts Ricki-Lee and Scott Tweedie announced Amali Dimond, 16, had placed in the bottom four. The voting result drew criticism from the judges with Kyle Sandilands, who branded the decision as a massive mistake: “I don’t know if people got home late last night and forgot to turn it on. That kid did brilliantly last night, and she is fantastic.”

Phoebe Stewart,15, was next to take her place in the bottom four. When asked if he saw this result coming, Harry Connick Jr said: “I guess there are no surprises at this point, right? It is a competition; somebody is going to go home. To see those two over there based on their performances – wow, I did not see this coming.”

The surprises continued with 27-year-old Noora H and 15-year-old Angelina Curtis rounding out the bottom four contestants up for elimination.

Amali was first to take the stage and convince Australia she still belonged in the competition, performing Secret Love Song by Little Mix. Angelina followed with a moving performance of Talking to The Moon by Bruno Mars.

Noora H belted Sia’s Chandelier, prompting judge Amy Shark to jump up from her desk and shout: "are you happy Australia!?”

The final singer for the night, Phoebe, wowed the judges and audience with a powerful performance of The Weeknd’s Call Out My Name.

Standing on stage to hear their fate, Amali, Angelina, Phoebe and Noora fought back the tears before the hosts delivered the verdict, eliminating Noora and Angelia.

On leaving the competition, Angelina said: “This has been the highlight of my life and to be able to perform for such an incredible audience, everything about this is just incredible. I really have no regrets. I thank Idol so much for the amount of knowledge they have given me. I am so happy.”

Noora was also full of praise for her Idol experience: “I am so overwhelmed and like, I mean, I kind of saw this coming, but I can’t be upset. I am just sad that I will miss everybody. The crew, you guys, these amazing, talented guys over there. I have learnt so much from the judges. This has been the most incredible experience of my life. I just can’t be upset about that.”

Sunday night on Australian Idol: with the Grand Final rapidly approaching, Australia’s six favourite contenders fight to make their dreams come true and confirm their place as the next Australian Idol.

1 Like

I agree at the same time, I don’t mind the concept of having the bottom 4 sing again. but I think it’s more of the wording of it by the hosts. They shouldn’t say “a final chance to show the judges and Australia what you can do” etc when that performance can’t save them.

It’s more of giving the bottom 4 having a final chance to perform before they are eliminated instead of Sunday being their last performance. It doesn’t make sense/work for them to sing after it’s announced they are eliminated.

2 Likes

He was having a sickie

1 Like

How did Kyle recover so quickly? He was sick on Saturday but well enough to be on the judges’ desk tonight.

Also, after the show finished in Sydney and Melbourne, viewers were given a couple of hours to vote via Instagram Stories on the song each top 6 contestant should perform next week. Each contestant was allocated two songs. That Instagram Story clip ran so fast that fans didn’t have enough time to decide.

And it will be held at Sydney Coliseum.

Registrations for tickets open at 10am AEDT Tuesday (March 14). According to That’s the Ticket website, filming starts at 3.45pm AEDT on the Sunday. I reckon all the performances will be shown on slight delay with the verdict shown live.

3 Likes

I just went to check and the instagram story is still up 3 hours later. I think it’s cool we sorta have a say in the show compared to a Voice / AGT.

1 Like

I think the Instagram story on song choice for top 6 week should be run separately (and slowly), so that fans could go through each song and vote.

3 Likes

Have you never felt unwell one day and then fine again 2 days later? Strange comment.

2 Likes

He wasn’t sick. Bruno and Tegan were covid positive. Kyle was on a RAT but tested negative when 7 sent them some nurses to do a PCR. He didnt have any symptoms.

4 Likes

Noora says she wants to make original songs and wants to work as an artist on cruise ships.

3 Likes

Beautiful post by Ricki-Lee on Instagram tonight.

5 Likes

She needs to work on singing in tune first. She was often flat.

2 Likes

Meghan Trainor was on Sunrise this morning.

2 Likes

An Sunrise lost to Today - these cross promotions for Idol are not popular.

5 Likes

How is the voting working if the top 3 is decided tomorrow and the final including the winner is next week Sunday.

Is it going to be that viewers will be able to vote from tomorrow night when the top 3 is decided until next week Sunday performances finish?

2 Likes

Idol judges’ big twist

All Top 6 contestants up for the viewer vote

Australia was in the driver’s seat tonight, with Idol viewers’ choice week determining the hits the Top 6 would perform as they fought for their place in next Sunday’s Grand Finale on Channel 7 and 7plus.

Queensland rocker Ben Sheehy, 24, was gifted (I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction by The Rolling Stones. Idol judge Amy Shark praised Ben’s vocals but was disappointed with the arrangement, saying she wanted to hear less cover band and more creativity.

Harry Connick Jr agreed with Amy but noted Ben looked the part and was comfortable in his “zone”. Previously critical about the commercial life span of the rock genre, judge Kyle Sandilands conceded Ben might be ”the guy that revived rock music”.

Phoebe Stewart, 15, performed Birdy’s People Help The People. Harry said her performance was “fantastic as always”, noting her evolution from a “wide-eyed little girl” to a confident performer with a mature sound.

Amali Dimond, 16, took on Fly Away by Tones and I. Harry applauded Amali for using her artistry to change the arrangement and suggested she try something different with her next performance, something more “stripped back”.

Judge Kyle Sandilands firmly disagreed with Harry, asking why an artist would change their signature style at this stage in the competition. Harry countered, arguing the musicality wouldn’t change, just the presentation.

Australia voted for Josh Hannan, 20, to sing Olivia Rodrigo’s smash hit Drivers License. Harry said Australia had made a great song choice for Josh and it was a strong performance. Kyle agreed, saying he had a “real shot” at winning the competition.

Anya Hynninen, 19, performed Flowers by Miley Cyrus. Amy complimented Anya on the growing strength of her voice but said she had expected a different arrangement. Harry agreed, saying he wanted to see more of her artistry, advice he said she could “take or leave”.

Frustrated by Harry’s comments, Kyle argued Anya was in a contest, and it wasn’t about “showing off”, saying people want to hear something they can sing along to and Anya should “sing to win”.

Judge Meghan Trainor acknowledged Anya had one of the hardest songs tonight, given its current high rotation on radio, adding “I feel like you got trapped”.

Last to perform for the night, Royston Sagigi-Baira, 23, wowed the judges by singing True Colours by Cyndi Lauper. “There’s a lot of love for you on this panel and show,” said Amy. “You’ve really come into your own on this show. That was fantastic.”

In the biggest twist of the night, the judges shocked the remaining six contestants by announcing they wouldn’t be saving an artist from the public vote: it was now Australia’s turn to decide.

Tomorrow night on Australian Idol: Voting is now open! Australia decides their three Idol Grand Finalists and ARIA Award-winning Idol judge Amy Shark performs High On You with Sam Fischer.

1 Like

Such a cop out not saving someone. This whole production has been a mess and needs serious reworking if it’s to be renewed.

2 Likes

i’m glad they didn’t save anyone. it doesn’t make sense for the judges to select 1 out of 3 when Australia are voting for the winner

7 Likes