Australian Idol

It has to match MAFS’S running time.

2 Likes

Has Amy Shark given up the jig with her photo just now showing her watching Idol in her hotel room? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Noora dazzles her way into the Top 8

Australian Idol judges save singer from public vote

The Australian Idol’s Live Shows continued tonight on Channel 7 and 7plus, as our all-star judges selected one song for each of our Top 10 to perform. Picking from the judges’ shortlist, the contestants rose to the challenge while the judges flexed their competitive edge, tallying their successful song selections.

Placing in the bottom four last week, Noora H, 28, proved her place in the competition with a dazzling performance of The Voice Within by Christina Aguilera. Judges Kyle Sandilands, Meghan Trainor, Amy Shark and Harry Connick Jr were left in awe by her astonishing performance, with Meghan stating it was her favourite performance of the competition. All judges agreed to award Noora the save, advancing her to next week’s Top 8 show.

Rose farmer Josh Hannan, 21, moved the audience by singing Forget Me by Lewis Capaldi. Amy commended the Victorian for being consistently amazing, echoing Kyle’s comments that Josh was “radio ready”.

Far North Queensland student Royston Sagigi-Baira, 23, showed his vulnerable side performing I Won’t Let You Go by James Morrison, a song he sang at his mother’s funeral. After receiving a standing ovation, all judges applauded Royston for showing a raw and vulnerable side to his artistry. There was not a dry eye in the house when Ricki-Lee also revealed that Royston’s brother Richard had flown down for the show, surprising him in the audience.

The recipient of last week’s judges save, high school student Phoebe Stewart, 15, returned to the stage with a mesmerising, stripped-back rendition of ABBA’s Dancing Queen. Kyle exclaimed Phoebe’s performance was so good that the judges might as well crown her the winner of Australian Idol now.

The pressure of the competition proved too much for Western Australia’s Sash Seabourne, 25, as he performed Phil Collin’s classic In The Air Tonight. Meghan and Amy labelled his performance pitchy and underwhelming. Student Angelina Curtis, 15, was also off her game as she put a funk twist on Harry Style’s hit As It Was. The judges critiqued Angelina’s stage presence, noting she looked uncomfortable stepping away from the piano.

Proving he is a rock star in the making, Brisbane’s Ben Sheehy, 24, performed Beggin’ by Måneskin. While Ben nailed the vocals, both Harry and Kyle critiqued his performance skills, Kyle likening his off-beat dancing to an awkward artificial intelligence cyborg.

Harry Hayden, 18, was in the firing line again this week after singing Sam Sparro’s Black and Gold. Harry Connick Jr said he seemed crippled with nerves, while Kyle served up some home truths, stating Harry’s skill level wasn’t good enough for the competition.

Meghan proved victorious in the judges’ song choice competition, totalling four songs over Harry’s three, Amy’s two and Kyle’s one.

Tomorrow night on Australian Idol: Voting is now open! Australia decides which artists will proceed to the next round of the competition and American Idol mega-star Adam Lambert performs live on the Idol stage.

Australian Idol Continues 7.30pm Monday on Channel 7 and 7plus

See tonight’s performances here *available after 10.30pm

2 Likes

Bit of a mess of a show tonight. It’s very evident the age restriction for this year is impacting the quality.

3 Likes

I think the franchise was designed in a way so that it would set up the winner’s (and alumnus) careers for life. Prominent examples include Guy Sebastian, Jessica Mauboy and Kelly Clarkson.

1 Like

OneRepublic are coming to Idol

Grammy® nominated pop-rock band hits stage for exclusive performance

Get set to welcome the Grammy® nominated pop-rock band OneRepublic to the Australian Idol stage for an exclusive special guest performance during their Australian “Live in Concert” tour this month.

The six-member platinum-selling band will entertain Australia****n Idol audiences on Monday, 13 March 2023 with their hit single I Ain’t Worried, which dominated the global charts after featuring in Top Gun: Maverick.

We are so excited to be back in Australia for the tour and to be able to perform I Ain’t Worried on Australian Idol. See you there!” said the band about their imminent return.

The band released their debut album Dreaming Out Loud in 2007, including the 20-million-unit-selling smash single Apologize, which shattered digital sales and airplay records worldwide and received a Grammy® nomination.

The band’s sophomore album, 2009’s Waking Up, produced the hit singles All the Right Moves, Secrets and Good Life. The certified-platinum album Native followed in 2013, featuring the No.1 hit and 41 million-selling single Counting Stars. OneRepublic released Oh My My, their fourth full-length album in 2016. OneRepublic has amassed 5 billion streams on Spotify to date. OneRepublic’s latest album, Human, dropped on 27 August 2021. It features Somebody, Run, Somebody To Love, Wanted, Didn’t I, Better Days and Rescue Me; which combined have over 2.5 billion global streams.

More exclusive Australian Idol guest artist performances will be announced soon.

4 Likes

There has always been an age restriction for Australian Idol and American Idol has a similar age limit. In the first few seasons of Aus Idol it was 28, then they upped it to 30. Even when they upped the age there have only ever been 5 contestants over the age of 28. I guess keeping that age limit is to try and differentiate it from the Voice that attracts a lot of older more established contestants.

3 Likes

I notice David Guetta’s Titanium was performed for two weeks in a row - by Maya last week and by Amali this week. Rights fees issue aside, I feel that if a track was performed at any stage of the competition, it should not be chosen again until the grand final.

Overall another good show last night. Noora was the standout.

2 Likes

Josh and Phoebe are miles ahead of Noora.

2 Likes

Noora is one of my favorites and deserved to be saved, particularly with how close she was to going last week (and undeservedly so). Phoebe is really good too but I’m glad that they didn’t save the same person 2 weeks in a row.

3 Likes

Noora wasn’t the best last night and its clear the judges saved her as she isn’t likely to go much further with the audience vote alone. Unless she can pull something spectacular out of the bag next week.

3 Likes

Spot on.

1 Like

I thought she was top 3 of the night & understand why the judges saved her because she could of gone home based on last week viewers vote

2 Likes

Last week and last night too my PVR stopped recording just before the judges announced who’d they’d saved from the public vote.Noora’s performance was one of her best,Phoebe is still my favourite though.

1 Like

I think from now on, you should add 10-15 minutes to the PVR recording, so that you can see the judges’ save.

3 Likes

I think the bottom 4 is too much. It adds a layer of disappointment to two artists that isn’t required.

I don’t mind showing a bottom 4, but I still don’t get how singing again to show that they ‘deserve’ to remain in show is relevant or needed. Especially since them singing again doesn’t matter since the votes are already finalised

4 Likes

Yep. Was about to make the same comment.

2 Likes

And then there were eight

Sash Seabourne and Harry Hayden eliminated from Australian Idol

Tonight, the nation chose its Top 8, farewelling Sash Seabourne and Harry Hayden in the search for the next Australian Idol on Channel 7 and 7plus

The Top 10 opened the show with a thundering group performance of Believer by Imagine Dragons before taking their place on the stage to hear who would stay and who would go.

Hosts Ricki-Lee and Scott Tweedie delivered the bad news to Harry Hayden, Sash Seabourne, Anya Hynninen and Ben Sheehy; who found themselves in the bottom four with the least number of votes.

When asked by Ricki-Lee if Australia was getting the voting right, Harry confessed it was difficult to know: “It’s hard to say, you know because when Ben ended up in the bottom four this week, I’m thinking to myself, like maybe it’s because you’re a rock and roller and that’s more polarising than maybe pop music or something. It is a niche category.”

"There’s no way for us to possibly know, just like there’s no way for anybody to know. It is fascinating to watch, and our heart goes out to y’all. We’ll see what happens,” he said.

Meghan Trainor was shocked to see Anya in the bottom four: “If we’re looking at the last performance I’m surprised, Anya, that you’re there. You had your big comeback moment and you slayed, and I guessed some of these, but I didn’t guess you and that’s troubling. I love you all. I hate this part of the show.”

To show Australia they still belonged in the competition, the bottom four took to the stage for what would be two contestants’ final performance.

Anya Hynninen was applauded for her performance of Roberta Flack’s Killing Me Softly, while Sash Seabourne mastered Tom Petty’s Free Fallin’.

Ben Sheehy bought the house down with his performance of the Rolling Stones’ Gimme Shelter and Harry performed Bust Your Windows Jazmine Sullivan.

Before the result was revealed, iconic international superstar and former American Idol contestant Adam Lambert performed his new single, Holding Out for a Hero, and told the Idol contestants to “have fun” as they navigated their way through the competition.

Ultimately, Sash Seabourne and Harry Hayden were eliminated from the competition after securing the lowest number of viewer votes.

On leaving, Harry said he felt nothing but “gratitude” for his time on the show, having had “the best time of his life.” Sash was also grateful for the experience and all the connections he made.

Sunday night on Australian Idol: it’s make or break as the Top 8 give it everything they have to prove to the nation along with judges Harry Connick Jr, Meghan Trainor, Kyle Sandilands and Amy Shark why they deserve the title of Australia’s next Idol.

Australian Idol Continues 7.00pm Sunday and 7.30pm Monday on Channel 7 and 7plus

1 Like

The producers changed the bottom 4 performance arrangement tonight. They got rid of the raised platforms on stage (which is good to see). They also had each contestant entering from backstage via the main LED screens before their performances.

According to That’s the Ticket website, tickets for the semi-final performance on March 18 have also been given out. Standing room tickets for the results show on March 20 are still available.

2 Likes