ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

Yes. Apart from the two already mentioned, the stations that take SEN programming include 4CA, 4MK, 4CC, Zinc 96, 2NM, 2ST & 2EC.

4 Likes

Where is Stolzy off to?

2 Likes

Well done to River94.9. Looking at their current comps & promos, they are very active.

Promotions Archive - River 949

I wonder how much influence Barry Drinkwater has on these? They’re not just ‘run of the mill’ comps.

3 Likes

Just looking at Lava, it appears that LAFM in Launceston (as well as 7SD in North East) is now taking the Classic Hits log instead of the AC log, the same one that is being used on 7AD, 7BU, 2ST, 2EC etc.

5 Likes

Does that mean Chilli, Sea Devonport and Burnie, 7HO and 7XS are on the same log now??

2 Likes

7XS is still on the AC log, separate from the other aforementioned stations that take the Hot AC log.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Looking at their playlists online, it appears that the ARN Regional stations are doing decade-themed long weekends this Easter.

The “Classic Hits” stations (2ST, 2EC, Zinc, LAFM etc) are going all-80s, whilst the Hot AC stations (Wave, Power, Hot Tomato etc) are going all-90s.

8 Likes

Yes they are. Pretty sure they did the exact same thing last year. Very much enjoying the 90s weekend on Power and Wave. Big thumbs up.

5 Likes

ARN Regional need to take a good look at their programming strategy.

The overlap between 94.9 PowerFM and WaveFM is very significant & it is an incredible waste that such close stations share the same log.

WaveFM should play more variety and PowerFM should be more CHR. And i98 is your only saviour if you’re unhappy with what you’re hearing on Power/Wave (and if you don’t want to hear older music from 2ST). It’s no wonder why i98 is number one.

If Power and Wave ran separate logs, there’d be more chance that an ARN Regional station would be number one (or closer to it), rather than handing it over to WIN.

I would make Power a pure CHR station and transform Wave into a similar format to Star104.5 Central Coast, wedging between Power/i98 and 2ST.

I feel sorry for the NSW South Coast travellers and residents.

Absolutely bland.

7 Likes

Totally agree. Going back twenty or more years, the thinking was to “flank” I98 with POWER and WAVE. There’s been a broom through the joint and yet they’re persisting with the dopey programming strategy that hasn’t worked for years?

5 Likes

It’s 2 against 1 and the 1 has been winning for decades.

2 Likes

I think having DAB+ launch in Wollongong would be a better outcome for listeners and ARN/WIN. ARN could keep Wave FM and Power FM on the same log (as they’re in different markets) and launch new music & classic hits logs as well as Cada and country on DAB, for the Wollongong market, similar to the Gold Coast.

3 Likes

I agree dab+ would be excellent for the Illawarra with additional formats. Re Wave fm I have noticed that are skewing older They have dropped the Random 20 Countdown and instead playing older songs, unfortunately Power fm is doing the same with the sharing of logs.

Maybe they could blow up the current 94.9 Power fm format, and go with the Power 100 active rock format. In the last Wollongong survey Wave fm went down and Power fm was 1% or lower. The strategy is clearly not working.
People in Nowra can receive both i98, Power and Wave fm. If they don’t like Wave fm that rules out them listening to Power fm. This benefits i98, and they know this that is why you will occasionally here weather for Nowra and Bowral in their news.

Does anyone know how 2ST would rate? I have never seen any figures for this station as they are not included in the surveys, but out of market stations such as Sydney and even The Edge / Cada have appeared.

Completely agree how idiotic the programming of Power fm / Wave fm is, but these markets are probably too small and not their main concern of ARN at the present time.

7 Likes

And that is what is likely happening right now in the Illawarra/South Coast region.

Listeners are not liking the ARN music format (as reflected in WaveFM’s ratings), meaning PoweFM is copping it as well by default (without any survey needed).

Imagine if CADA96.1 and KIIS1065 had the exact same log. What a waste of FM space!

7 Likes

Since the random 20 got canceled i haven’t listen to Power or Wave on my drive. I would hope DAB+ comes to wollongong sooner rather then later.

5 Likes

With the slow rollout of dab+ it will be a long time before dab+ comes to Wollongong, if it ever does.

6 Likes

I was in Geelong for the Easter weekend and K-Rock was also doing the all-90s weekend. Was the most listenable K-Rock has sounded since, well, the 90s. I loved it - had me reliably tuned in to 95.5 while I was down there for the first time in a long time.

4 Likes

Krock the ARN station that is not a ARN station !!!

5 Likes

A bunch more NSW ARN Regional stations have received a website facelift including WaveFM and a bunch of PowerFM NSW stations.

Looking good ARN - especially for WaveFM to have a brand new site.

5 Likes