ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

Some changes at Hot Tomato with ex-Triple M Dubbo brekkie announcer Alo Baker returning to the GC but as brekkie anchor for Hot Tomato.

Alo replaces Christo who moves to the afternoon slot.

Simon Carey looks to no longer be part of the line-up. Any idea where he’s gone?

Also, has the 102.9 positioner always been, “The Gold Coast’s Best Music Variety”? Or is this a recent change? It just sounds like it has recently been reworded, but I could be wrong.

And looking at their website it looks like they’re adapting more red in their presentation - a further great clear point of difference to the SCA opposition.

2 Likes

River 94.9’s A-Z has concluded at around 5:40pm QLD time yesterday.

Looking at Lava this morning, River is back on the network log, so it appears that there is no change to the music on the station, at least not yet.

3 Likes

Imo, Power 100 is probably the best station in Australia when it comes to rock music - B-Rock a distant second. Makes Triple M look laughable. The fact that I can hear Motionless in White, Slipknot & Trivium on a commercial station in Townsville instead of nationwide is a great reflection on the state of things. Congrats to all up there kicking arse as always

7 Likes

It’s sad. Triple M is meant to be the biggest “rock” brand in the country, yet has the most basic rock playlist of them all.

6 Likes

does any know if the network log is still made in qld??? or is it made and rolled out somewhere else?

2 Likes

Interesting to see that River94.9’s promo ute is called the, “Mix Machine”.

I thought they were the River Roadies… unless they have names for each of their vehicles?

3 Likes

I don’t get what they’re doing with River in any way, shape or form. Sometimes it sounds pretty similar to KIIS 97.3 and I just don’t see how that makes sense with such an overlap. KIIS and River are direct competitors over most of western and southern Brisbane.

3 Likes

Sounds like they do… couldn’t find anything about the ute, but their van (previously an SUV) has been called the “Confidence Cruiser” for a while [at least a few years apparently], which is even more bizarre… at least the ute melds in with their slogan :grimacing:

3 Likes

Completely agree.

Could River94.9 be Australia’s most wasted radio station? So much potential to be different - especially given 4KQ is no longer around.

3 Likes

I heard rumours they were going to change it to Mix or Gold 94.9… and been that their callsign is 4MIX it makes sense to change it to Mix 94.9

2 Likes

They have dropped the mix name and they wont want to confuse people losing potential audience from Melbourne which is in survey. if anything they will follow Sydney and turn it into that abomination called cada

3 Likes

I promise you that ARN relaunching a radio station in Ipswich will/would not disrupt a survey in Melbourne.

It is known there is a clause in the Grants acquisition that prevents ARN from emulating the same networking as SCA: I’m led to believe this is for three years. Only once this is complete would you expect to see the regional brands consolidating into KIIS and Gold.

3 Likes

I don’t think they are direct competitors any more, now that they are under the same ownership umbrella.

973 has always been more of a direct competitor to B105 and MMM and a competitor to Nova (despite Nova owning half of 973), as they are in the same license area. But you are right, River has also been a competitor in the past but to a lesser extent than the other 3.

1 Like

What does Ipswich have to do with Melbourne?

3 Likes

I can’t see any rebrand happening too soon.

What I can see is a logo change to Pure Gold River94.9.

As it stands, the greater Brisbane region no longer has JAM Nation broadcast to it. So it makes sense for River to ditch their 9NEWS simulcast one day soon for JAM.

2 Likes

My point was if you live in western Brisbane and Ipswich which is a huge swathe of the metro you can listen to KIIS or River just as easily, and the two stations now sound very similar. They are probably the most similar two stations in the market and thus are directly competiting for that audience. KIIS sounds somewhere between River and B105, but is still closer to River. They need to differentiate the two more and move River towards Gold and 4MMM to avoid canibalising the sister station.

3 Likes

River94.9 needs to adapt a more WSFM/GOLD104.3 style format rather than to replace 4KQ.

6 Likes

2ST/94.9 Power FM in the Shoalhaven & Southern Highlands are looking for a new General Manager.

2 Likes

After Gavin Flanagan headed north to WaveFM.

2 Likes

Morning Glory with Matty Johns - 4BU
Morning Glory with Matty Johns - Power 100

How long has this deal been going on between SEN & ARN Regional?

Do any other ARN Regional stations take SEN programming excl. Sportsday & NRL calls?

On a sidenote, it’s interesting to see the dated content still live on www.4bu.net (their main URL is www.4bu.com.au).

2 Likes