ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

I’d be very surprised if the let go of the Hitz name in Bundaberg. They’d be mad to give SCA a way in with Hit.

2 Likes

I reckon they would.

3 Likes

I still think Power and Wave fm sharing the same log is a bad idea considering the close proximity and overspill into each other’s market.

There is a couple of songs difference here and there though. When Wave plays Cold Chisel or AC/DC Power plays something different.

I would like to see Power fm take the Eagle fm log considering Grant has 50% stake in Eagle fm and would offer more of a point of difference from i98 / Wave.

3 Likes

Yes, couldn’t agree more.

2 Likes

Great interview with K-Rock’s breakfast co-host Lauren Temuskos.

Just looking at the Grant Broadcasters accounts for the past financial year. The company has zero debt and made a good profit, and appear to have used cash on hand to pay for Hot Tomato although that is not entirely obvious. For the seven months it was owned by the group Hot Tomato had revenue of just over $8 million, and made a profit of $2.7 million.

Their joint ventures are:

with the Blytons:
Capital Radio Network - 2CA, 2CC, 2GN, Eagle FM
Radio Perth - 6IX
SEQ Broadcasters - licence 103.3 Mac FM Perth

with WIN Corporation:
Bluwin - 105.3 FM Kix Country Wollongong

The joint ventures don’t contribute a lot to the profits.

Their overall results:

6 Likes

Grant surely would be a good purchase for a bigger company especially one wanting to get a hold of some radio assets for the first time

Where do we find a copy of the full report?

Haven’t seen this mentioned as yet - but Flan from Hot Tomato’s Breakfast show this morning announced he has decided to leave the show. His last show will be Friday December 13th.

It was also announced that Galey from the station’s drive program will move over to replace him in the new year.

You can hear the announcement from about 28 minutes into todays Podcast: https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=501701

Moving to SCA?

1 Like

Looking at their Song History pages, it appears that Power FM Nowra are now taking a separate log from that used by Wave FM and Power FM Bega & Hunter, in which they now take the same log used by KRock, Power FM Ballarat, Chilli, Sea FM Tas & Magic 93.1.

This change makes sense, as there’s so much overspill between Wollongong & Nowra.

2 Likes

Ryan Rathbone returning to Australia.

2 Likes

Lookout (sic) 2020

Should be: Look out 2020!

Should also be “accepted” :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I ‘seen’ that now :wink:

Pleased for Ryan Rathbone. Grant Broadcasters are making some sound decisions in recent times - from Rick Lenarcic to Hot Tomato to now RR.

Yeah because they’ve got the arse from other Aussie networks. Those in the know are now having to work for regional broadcasters like the Cameron’s (once a laughingstock in the industry).

It’s pretty sad when someone with Ryan’s experience is programming stations in Darwin & Mt Isa

1 Like

Grants don’t own any stations in Mount Isa, for starters.

Queensland is full of large markets too - now including the Gold Coast but also duopolies in the Sunshine Coast, Cairns, Townsville and Mackay.

1 Like

I used to work for them, I know their reputation and it’s been enhanced in recent years. Do not underestimate this company.

3 Likes