ARN Regional (formerly Grant Broadcasters)

Power fm playlist doesn’t really fit with a best music positioner, it is more CHR then Wave that runs that positioner.

It would be really bad for the Wollongong / Nowra markets if Power fm ended up running the same log as Wave consider the amount of overspill into each markets.
Power fm Nowra should take the Krock log IMO.

3 Likes

Looking at Lava, it appears that Wave FM in Wollongong are now taking the same log as Star in Cairns & Mackay, as well as Hitz 939 in Bundaberg. Hot 91 on the Sunshine Coast & Star 1063 in Townsville run a separate log from the rest of Star/Hitz/Wave.

7 Likes

A shame. Hot91’s playlist is actually quite good.

1 Like

Where do these logs originate from? Who is scheduling them?

1 Like

If it’s the same one on Chilli and Sea FM in Tasmania, they’re done out of Geelong…

2 Likes

Is there much difference in the music format between Star Townsville and Star Cairns and Mackay? I always thought they carried the same music log.

1 Like

It’s not.

Townsville has two FM stations under Grant’s portfolio as opposed to the “1 FM, 1 AM” dynamic of the other two markets + Bundaberg, in which they have Star 1063 & Power 100. Sunshine Coast is similar to Townsville’s, in which they have Hot 91 & Zinc.

2 Likes

I can never figure out the branding at Grants.

So they’ve got TWO Power networks, both with different logos and both with different formats.

It must be hard to sell all Grants stations in 5mins to national clients.

At least SCA and BOG can offer either Network A or Network B. Done.

2 Likes

It is a bit more difficult considering they have so many different brands.

Firstly get rid of Power fm, I would rebrand these as Hot, e,g Hot 95Nowra, Hot 98 Upper Hunter, Hot 103 Ballarat etc. Keep Wave as it is. Power would only be used for their rock stations.

For the older AC stations it would be more difficult as most have local identities such as River, 2ST, etc probably easier to keep them as they are under a classic hits network for advertising branding.

1 Like

Yes I’m actually a bit surprised they didn’t go Hot FM instead of Star in North QLD. Hot FM were the original FM stations in NQ before re-branding to the generic Hit. Would still have a lot of recognition amongst the audience they’re targeting with Star - i.e. those who’ve grown out or Hit. SCA would be pissed too so that would have been brilliant.

2 Likes

Plus Hot would bring good confusion with Hit.

3 Likes

Last time when I was in Cairns, I thought Star sounded very similar to the old Hot FM of the mid 2000’s
I didn’t mind listening to Star when I was up there. It was the pick from the other 3 commercials.

2 Likes

Well, this is getting more interesting.

On top of using the same playlist on Star in Cairns & Mackay and Hitz in Bundaberg, as well as airing the “Random 30” countdown, Wave FM & Power FM NSW (inc Nowra, which broadcasts from the same tower as Wave) are now sharing the same log for much of the day, if Lava is any guide. :flushed:

That would explain why Power FM NSW have recently adopted the “Best Music” positioner.

1 Like

I have a feeling if they could buy Star in Gosford, Grants would re-brand both Wave and Power to the Star brand, and possibly Hot Tomato, Hot 91 and Hitz as well. The Star network would then stretch from Cairns to Wollongong - with a few gaps of course.

6 Likes

Tasmanian Broadcasters (a division of Grant Broadcasters) is currently looking for a new presenter for the Tasmania Talks program in the wake of Brian Carlton (soon to be Triple M Hobart breakfast presenter) departing the program.

See job ad here.

2 Likes

Dave Noonan?

Looking at Lava, Hot 91 & Star 106.3 are now taking the same log as Star Cairns/Mackay, Hitz Bundaberg, Wave FM & Power FM Nowra/Bega/Hunter.

Could all of the above aforementioned stations be rebranded to Star soon, given that they now all have the one log? :thinking:

2 Likes

I would be surprised if Bundaberg rebranded - this could allow SCA to rebrand 4RGB (currently Triple M) to Hit93.1.

I would like to think that Wave Wollongong and Power Nowra won’t both take the same brand given the overlap - this is only likely to see i98 gain listeners from a real lack of choice.

It’s the SCA-way. That’s what Grants is becoming. There is a similar overlap in several SCA markets, so I don’t think Grants would care too much so long as their music selection is half decent against i98.

As for a potential rebrand, as much as I’d love to see it happen, I doubt Hot91 would change given they only recently relaunched with a new logo several years ago.

However, it’d be nice for the older brands like PowerFM and SeaFM Tasmania get a facelift.

1 Like

Doubt they’d flip Triple M back to Hit here, but it is SCA after all

2 Likes