Analysis of the ratings system

It’s not that they have no value, it’s that they have less. Research has suggested that people over 50 are less likely to change brands/are loyal.

So sure, the over 50’s are still valuable to a lot of brands.

The networks, however, can charge a premium for shows that rate well in the key demos. Especially because these age groups are harder to attract to FTA these days.

1 Like

In 2023, who do you think has more purchasing power - a 22 year old or a 55 year old?

I understand the point you are trying to make here. But from a marketing standpoint, there is an important caveat. 55 is largely seen as the point where expenditure begins to decline. Now if I’m an advertiser, a 22yo provides me with a greater opportunity to build a long term customer as they age into the peak spending group than a 55yo. In saying that, as the population begins to age, I’m sure it will change and expand.

3 Likes

Yeah I really think it has changed now. The latest research shows that the person with the most power in the economy is the 55 year old woman.

The average 25 year old has much less purchasing ability than ever before and will struggle to save a deposit for a house let alone own one.

Interesting times.

1 Like

I think you’d be surprised how much money we have :rofl:

Regarding purchasing power; it’s never been about who has the most money; it’s about who who spends the most and who is influenced by advertising. Credit is a wonderful thing.

1 Like

According to Coca Cola (no less), American women 50 + represent over $15 trillion in purchasing power and are the wealthiest, healthiest and most active generation in history. This group of “super consumers” will experience the largest population growth over the next 10 years.

1 Like

True.
But a clever advertiser can convince a person to part with their money. More potential if they’ve got more to spend.

It’s the advertisers themselves that see more benefit in reaching under 50s than over 50s

Nightclubs dont advertise on TV.

Biggest advertisers in AU are companies like Harvey Norman, Foxtel, the Government, Coles & Woolworths. All companies who prefer & pay to reach a 23 year old over a 63 year old.

Would be so great if MediaSpy posted 25-54 % shares and top 20 shows daily as a priority over total people @TV.Cynic - no way to get oztam to agree to that?

The posting system here is outdated and not how the industry measures success

Despite what advertisers want, isn’t the network with the most eyeballs overall still the “most watched” network. That’s total numbers.

1 Like

I’m not so sure Coles would prefer to target a 23 year old because a huge percentage of them are still living at home with their parents.

Likewise, there are many more 60 year olds staying at home on a Saturday night watching Foxtel than a 23 year old.

I would agree with the Govt, but thats one of the few.

Smart marketers realise that 2/3 of the wealth in the ecomony is owned by the over 50’s

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s still the case but research I’ve read at work and online suggests while the over-50s have more disposable income, they also are more loyal to companies and brands so it’s harder to get them to redirect their spending. For instance, they always buy Smeg kitchen products or always get a certain brand of washing powder. Hence why return on investment isn’t as good.

1 Like

Look at the top 5 25-54 numbers that we do post. You reckon OzTAM would really want to get into the weeds of how few people in that bracket are really watching TV?

1 Like

It is an interesting comment but I would counter by saying that brand loyalty definitely ain’t what it used to be because people are now happy to trade loyalty for a better offer

1 Like

OzTAMs next change to the ratings this year will to include the live BVOD viewing in the overnight numbers. That may also include a longer list in the demos.

2 Likes

Under 55s is literally who advertisers like Cole’s pay to reach. Not over 55s

You may not agree or like it but that the reality.

Oztam has data right down to the top 200 shows in demos and shows rating a zero in 16-39

Oztam exists for this data to sell to ads

That’s the very reason Oztam exists

Sure - but it’s one thing that data available for media buyers and networks and another thing having it publicly available. OZTAM wouldn’t release that data publicly (ie to media) without network sign off and it’s hard to see why they’d agree.

We don’t (and won’t) get access to that detail without paying a considerable subscription cost.

The data that we are licensed to post is the data that we are provided and subsequently post

2 Likes