Analysis of the ratings system

So Coles target 23 year olds (who are the not the decision makers) and pay a lot of money to use Status Quo music in their ads to try to reach them?

(if you’re unsure, Status Quo were a huge band in the 70s who are loved by the over 50’s. I rest my case).

23 year olds aren’t even in one of the main demographics (25-54). Under 55 does not only equal 23 year olds. The demos cover a huge array of people and ages.

I’m pretty sure Coles would be aiming for the “Total Grocery Buyers” demographic which we do not have access to. :man_shrugging:

1. The ad campaign you reference is a decade old now. The way they approach their marketing now is very different to back then.

2. The decision to use Status Quo would have been less to do with their name recognition (although that is a bonus as you mention for older consumers) and more to do with the fact that they could turn their song “Down Down” into a very catchy ad campaign with perfectly reflects their market position as the cheaper alternative to Wollies. Such a campaign targets those with purchasing power looking to save some money, which would have largely been women in that 25-54 age range with families.

Women 25-54?

Okay, so not 23 year olds

It is also interesting we are now going up to 54 year olds now because previously we were saying anyone over 50 is irrelevant

We are progressing. I am impressed

Yes because:

1. Women make up 62% of regular grocery shoppers.
  2. Gen X and Gen Y are the biggest spenders in the economy, which incorporates anyone between the ages of 27 and 58, including the peak spending ages of 35-54.
  3. Is a key demo recorded by OzTam.

I only mentioned choosing a 22yo over a 55yo because the choice was presented in a vacuum. It’s going to depend entirely on the other demographics and the product you are looking to advertise.

Others may have made that statement, but I think my view has been clear that things may be on the move.

I would love to see figures for the demographic 27-58 because that would replace the old 25-39 demo which used to be the most important back in the 90s, but no anymore

If you’re advertising on FTA to younger demographics outside some programming, you might as well put the money through Where’s the Gold at the pub, you might actually have some success. While it might be closer to the people you’re trying to reach, they’re increasingly not consuming media via FTA.

While the Universal Estimates show the younger demographics are the larger potential audience - it doesn’t take much more than a quick glance at the ratings to see that viewers are generally skewing older (and somewhat significantly). Over 50% of the news audience for 18-49, for instance, is between 39 and 49, and then an additional significant proportion between 49 and 54.

At least two of those brands won’t be trying to target 23-year-olds anyway, their brands are broadly despised by that demographic. While Government advertising is significantly focused on message dissemination, trying to reach as many people as possible (which FTA is still reasonably efficient at doing)

2 Likes

Well said

Demo data is realeased all the time in the US.

There are tens of thousands of people in the industry in Australia who would want to read about Demo data

ya I realize that. MediaSpy would be better with that data - that drives the whole industry.

Australia is a different country, hope this helps.

5 Likes

The comparison can still be made, obviously.

Australian FTA commercial success very much is based on demos. Same as US.

Less so the UK

The argument was being made that networks would not release Demi data as they have no reason too - I don’t agree with that.

It’s the measuring service that won’t release data.

Anyway…

Networks run OzTAM brother. If you think otherwise you’re dreaming. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I realize that yes. But why is it you think oztam doesn’t release Demo data?

There are potentially a lot of reasons - one key one (and I know this one first hand) is that they want to monetise it.

Makes sense yea. Out of interest so you know the annual fee to access full suite of demo data?

Not in any detail - I’d been given indications it was 5 figures plus.

Frankly, the obsession there is in this country about daily TV ratings is one of the reasons why we get served some absolute slop and have ridiculousness like TV guides being full of “TBA”. Ratings have an important purpose, but living and dying by the 9am drop of the overnight numbers has legitimised some pretty poor outcomes.

It feels really obvious that it a major contributor to what is akin to the industry is eating itself, yet its not self-aware enough to realise its happening until its too late (and then has to ask for protectionism measures to prop up an ever failing model

3 Likes

i think the overnight ratings should be a thing of the past. and I think it should be more focused on total numbers with it all including regional oz and bvod number

1 Like

From OzTAM

Please be advised that due to a Nielsen polling production issue, Nielsen have reissued Metropolitan and National STV Overnight, Consolidated 7 and Consolidated 28 viewing data for the research days Sunday 22/01/23, 15/01/23 and 25/12/2022, respectively.

Please note only day 7 of playback viewing for 15/1/23, and day 28 of playback viewing for 25/12/22, are affected by the re-release.

Updated reports are attached. Please see below for a summary of the changes.

Total TV average audience rises

+10.5% from 1,992,000 to 2,201,000

Top 20 Program ranking summary

#s 1 to 13 remain unchanged

#14 Weekend Sunrise – Sun and #15 Seven News at 5 swapped places

Antiques Roadshow moves up from # 20 to equal # 17/18

10 News First Sunday 6pm moves from # 18 to # 19

The Sunday Project 6.30pm moves into # 20, displacing the 2023 Australian Open D7 - Pre Match session (S/M/B/A only, no Perth)

FTA network shares 1800-2400

NO change to the share rankings

ABC Network share was 18.2%; now 17.8%

Seven Network was 24.8%; now 25.1%

Nine Network was 34.1%; now 34.8%

10 Network was 13.6%; now 13.2%

SBS Network was 9.2%; now 9.1%

All figures 5-City Metro, Overnight

We regret any inconvenience caused. Nielsen have identified the cause of the issue and modified their processes to prevent a recurrence.

Note: In Media Spy the adjusted figures will be posted and replace the existing tables.

1 Like

There are rumours it could launch in April.

1 Like