Analysis of the ratings system

According to Coca Cola (no less), American women 50 + represent over $15 trillion in purchasing power and are the wealthiest, healthiest and most active generation in history. This group of “super consumers” will experience the largest population growth over the next 10 years.

1 Like

True.
But a clever advertiser can convince a person to part with their money. More potential if they’ve got more to spend.

It’s the advertisers themselves that see more benefit in reaching under 50s than over 50s

Nightclubs dont advertise on TV.

Biggest advertisers in AU are companies like Harvey Norman, Foxtel, the Government, Coles & Woolworths. All companies who prefer & pay to reach a 23 year old over a 63 year old.

Would be so great if MediaSpy posted 25-54 % shares and top 20 shows daily as a priority over total people @TV.Cynic - no way to get oztam to agree to that?

The posting system here is outdated and not how the industry measures success

Despite what advertisers want, isn’t the network with the most eyeballs overall still the “most watched” network. That’s total numbers.

1 Like

I’m not so sure Coles would prefer to target a 23 year old because a huge percentage of them are still living at home with their parents.

Likewise, there are many more 60 year olds staying at home on a Saturday night watching Foxtel than a 23 year old.

I would agree with the Govt, but thats one of the few.

Smart marketers realise that 2/3 of the wealth in the ecomony is owned by the over 50’s

1 Like

I don’t know if it’s still the case but research I’ve read at work and online suggests while the over-50s have more disposable income, they also are more loyal to companies and brands so it’s harder to get them to redirect their spending. For instance, they always buy Smeg kitchen products or always get a certain brand of washing powder. Hence why return on investment isn’t as good.

1 Like

Look at the top 5 25-54 numbers that we do post. You reckon OzTAM would really want to get into the weeds of how few people in that bracket are really watching TV?

1 Like

It is an interesting comment but I would counter by saying that brand loyalty definitely ain’t what it used to be because people are now happy to trade loyalty for a better offer

1 Like

OzTAMs next change to the ratings this year will to include the live BVOD viewing in the overnight numbers. That may also include a longer list in the demos.

2 Likes

Under 55s is literally who advertisers like Cole’s pay to reach. Not over 55s

You may not agree or like it but that the reality.

Oztam has data right down to the top 200 shows in demos and shows rating a zero in 16-39

Oztam exists for this data to sell to ads

That’s the very reason Oztam exists

Sure - but it’s one thing that data available for media buyers and networks and another thing having it publicly available. OZTAM wouldn’t release that data publicly (ie to media) without network sign off and it’s hard to see why they’d agree.

We don’t (and won’t) get access to that detail without paying a considerable subscription cost.

The data that we are licensed to post is the data that we are provided and subsequently post

2 Likes

So Coles target 23 year olds (who are the not the decision makers) and pay a lot of money to use Status Quo music in their ads to try to reach them?

(if you’re unsure, Status Quo were a huge band in the 70s who are loved by the over 50’s. I rest my case).

23 year olds aren’t even in one of the main demographics (25-54). Under 55 does not only equal 23 year olds. The demos cover a huge array of people and ages.

I’m pretty sure Coles would be aiming for the “Total Grocery Buyers” demographic which we do not have access to. :man_shrugging:

1. The ad campaign you reference is a decade old now. The way they approach their marketing now is very different to back then.

2. The decision to use Status Quo would have been less to do with their name recognition (although that is a bonus as you mention for older consumers) and more to do with the fact that they could turn their song “Down Down” into a very catchy ad campaign with perfectly reflects their market position as the cheaper alternative to Wollies. Such a campaign targets those with purchasing power looking to save some money, which would have largely been women in that 25-54 age range with families.

Women 25-54?

Okay, so not 23 year olds

It is also interesting we are now going up to 54 year olds now because previously we were saying anyone over 50 is irrelevant

We are progressing. I am impressed

Yes because:

1. Women make up 62% of regular grocery shoppers.
  2. Gen X and Gen Y are the biggest spenders in the economy, which incorporates anyone between the ages of 27 and 58, including the peak spending ages of 35-54.
  3. Is a key demo recorded by OzTam.

I only mentioned choosing a 22yo over a 55yo because the choice was presented in a vacuum. It’s going to depend entirely on the other demographics and the product you are looking to advertise.

Others may have made that statement, but I think my view has been clear that things may be on the move.

I would love to see figures for the demographic 27-58 because that would replace the old 25-39 demo which used to be the most important back in the 90s, but no anymore