American Idol

Maybe the show should never have been brought back.The Idol format has been dead and buried a long time ago.Thats why ‘Australian Idol’ will never return to our screens

2 Likes

I have learnt in this day and age to never say never. This is the era of the remake and the reboot. Also Idol outtrated everything last night in the US except for a sport inflated 60 minutes. I wouldn’t say it’s dead and buried.

Those articles seem to be very biased towards The Voice and talk about total viewers which are irrelevant in the US. The two shows are very close in the 18-49 demo. Not to mention that Idol has lifted ABC’s Sunday ratings massively.

2 Likes

I think this season of American Idol is extremely boring. From what I’ve seen (which admittedly is only snippets here and there as my partner watches it) most of the contestants are very young, goody two shoe country girls or very hipster and just not exciting for me. Plus they have legit had two nights in a row (4 hours of television) with the same 12 contestants performing both nights. They could have easily got through the entire top 24 those two nights and moved on to the next round. I’m not sure why the same contestants needed to perform again and do a duet. The judging panel is boring too - overly positive and need to be more constructive and honest IMO.

2 Likes

It. Seems fox 8 is delaying the live shows. Episode 13is supposed to be the live 14 performance but fox 8 says its a wild card episode but American. Idol website says differently

How could they delay it when there is no wildcard episode. The EPG is clearly wrong.

Just as I thought, the EPG was wrong.

The show will be broadcast live across the US for the first time, on April 29, May 6 and May 13, to allow fans in Pacific Time zone to watch and vote for their favourite contestants. The Voice in Australia should follow suit.
The final performance on May 20 will be live on the east coast of US and delayed to west coast, with the winner to be declared on May 21 (May 22 in Australia).

1 Like

ABC has renewed American Idol for the 2018-19 season (its 17th season overall). Judges Luke Bryan, Katy Perry and Lionel Richie and host Ryan Seacrest will all return to their roles next season.

2 Likes

How is it rating? It is the most average season ever IMO and way too rushed. I doubt there is much hope for any of these contestants to get very far with such little exposure over only a few weeks of live shows (like The Voice).

Its rating Okish. Around 7 million viewers and a 1.5 in the demo. I agree its way too rushed, like the last season of X Factor here. I think they should have less audition episodes and dedicate more time to the live shows.

Yes it’s too rushed,not enough live shows.There should be less audition episodes.My favourites so far Cade and Maddie are still in the competition :+1:

I think they had less live shows because Katy Perry is on tour at the moment.

1 Like

It just means little exposure for the contestants and little opportunity to grow or shine. They spend so many weeks on auditions and Hollywood week stuff yet rush the final stages. It definitely feels like our final season of X Factor, which sucked.

2 Likes

Wow. Talk about a boring / forgettable final 3. I don’t think any of these are really worthy winners. You have 2 average country singers (been there done that) and some try hard hipster girl who is OK but not great. At least the judges were honest that none of their winners single performances were really that great.

Also it looks like the finale is just going to take place in their studio? You can really see the budget cuts this season. I think the live show studio lacks a lot of atmosphere. It just seems so open and lifeless. I thought The Voice Australia studio had a better atmosphere than this American Idol one.

2 Likes

Wow that finale last night felt just cheap and tacky. Not surprising it had 5million less viewers than the previous American Idol finale. American Idol finales were always big events at the Kodak theatre and this just felt cheap and meaningless in comparison. The revival of American Idol was definitely the budget version.

Also the way this season panned out just seemed so cheesy. They announce before the winner announcement that the final 2 are dating. I dunno but I thought it took away from the winners announcement and then it didn’t matter who won in the end. Then when Madde was announced as the winner she barely even had a chance to perform her winners song as the contestants all ran out and took over. I was embarrassed by the whole situation of her holding the microphone to the other contestants to sing and none of them new the words. This was your one chance to launch the winners so and it was a massive fail.

Just for the record, Monday’s finale averaged 8.63 million viewers with a 1.6 rating in the 18-49 demo.

Yep 5million fewer than the previous seasons finale.

Well Ryan said on the show it normally gets 6 million on the finals in the past

What are you talking about? The previous American Idol finale got 13 million viewers, and the ones before that did much better.

1 Like