AM To FM Conversions

yes Grant Broadcasters did but I got confused by your wording that Capital Radio Network is now owned by iHeart. AM To FM Conversions - #1752 by ron12

1 Like

I meant that ARN didn’t buy Capital Radio Network.

1 Like

According to the ACMA 2022-27 FYSO that was released this morning, the Planning Principles for AM to FM in regional areas (extending it to competitive regional markets) is set to be finalised in Q3 2022, ie. by the end of this month.

3 Likes

Does it include more Multiplexes for Digital Audio Broadcasting???

No.

3 Likes

It has been released yesterday:
https://www.acma.gov.au/sites/default/files/2022-09/Principles%20for%20planning%20AM%20to%20FM%20conversions%20in%20regional%20licence%20areas.docx

4 Likes

Did the drive from Gold Coast to Coffs Harbour today.

To my surprise, 2GF on 89.5 was NOT on air.
103.9 for Maclean / Yamba was still on.

I wonder what happened with 89.5…. is just a temporary break between tests and full time transmissions or was there an issue? @Paul_Covo_Covington might have some info?

4 Likes

Yes 89.5 is off, no reception at Woopi Headland last weekend. I would also like to know what the issue is.

Horrible co-channeling between 2TLC Yamba and 2PM Port Mac at Woopi as well; 93.5 was unlistenable. Port Mac dominates at Boambee Headland whilst the only spot I heard 2TLC in the clear was my Queensland spot just west of Dorrigo. A poor choice of frequency.

No movement on 94.3 2AD either. It’s as slow as a @turdall as far as this thread is concerned.

1 Like

A few technical issues holding up 2GF 89.5 to begin official test transmissions.
Hopefully not too far away now.

7 Likes

Thanks for the update, much appreciated and good luck with getting it sorted.

1 Like

I miss @turdall’s contributions.

Thanks @Paul_Covo_Covington for the reply, appreciate your input.

2 Likes

Thanks @Paul_Covo_Covington

Hopefully the Indian teepee at Swan Creek remains. Always know I’m 5 minutes from home when I pass that landmark.

1 Like

ACMA has released its Consultation Paper for 2TM Tamworth to convert to FM.

https://www.acma.gov.au/consultations/2022-12/proposal-vary-tamworth-licence-area-plan-consultation-412022

1 Like

It also appears to include additional frequencies for 2TTT in manilla and barraba too

1 Like

Lets see, 2TM on 95.5, with repeaters at 104.5 Manilla and 105.3 Barraba. With 2TTT repeaters at 106.1 Barraba and 107.7 Manilla.
The repeater stations appear to be low powered.

2 Likes

Looking at old ABA documents, 95.5 was once used by Tamworth community station 2YOU before it relocated to its present frequency of 88.9, which also allowed the station to have an increased ERP.

Speaking of 2YOU, the Consultation Paper also mentioned that its Liverpool Plains translator is set to move from 96.3 to 99.5, due to a potential adjacent channel interference from 2TM’s proposed main 95.5 service.

From a Sydney DXer perspective, this provides a potential opportunity on being able to pick up 2TM in ideal conditions if or when it converts to FM, as 95.5 is a relatively clear frequency there. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m concerned that the lower antenna height of 95.5 2TM and 92.9 2TTT will impact on coverage to the south.

Currently 92.9 can be received from just south of Muswellbrook on the New England highway.

It’s interesting that they’re using 95.5 in Tamworth again. I suspect the higher power 2TM will be less suspectible to interference from ABC Local Radio Taree compared to 2YOU, which used to be 32 watts when on 95.5.

Hopefully 2TM will move reasonably quickly, as we are STILL waiting for the neighbouring 2AD up at Armidale to move to FM!

And interesting they are using Newcastle region frequencies in Manila and Barraba, I will be interested to see if they make it down to Tamworth at all.

And I don’t understand why News Radio is mentioned for 91.7 when it’s been on air for 10 years already?

2 Likes

The LAP wasn’t amended when 91.7 started broadcast - ACMA are taking the opportunity to add it while the LAP gets amended

3 Likes

That’s a long time to wait to amend it so retrospectively.

They have a very odd way of doing things.

3 Likes

I took it as the new LAP reflects the current tech specs, not a downgrade, it’s more that Caralis never lived up to the original specs given.

Had they been at the full 70m, coverage may be better on the fringe.

1 Like