AM To FM Conversions

It also appears to include additional frequencies for 2TTT in manilla and barraba too

1 Like

Lets see, 2TM on 95.5, with repeaters at 104.5 Manilla and 105.3 Barraba. With 2TTT repeaters at 106.1 Barraba and 107.7 Manilla.
The repeater stations appear to be low powered.

2 Likes

Looking at old ABA documents, 95.5 was once used by Tamworth community station 2YOU before it relocated to its present frequency of 88.9, which also allowed the station to have an increased ERP.

Speaking of 2YOU, the Consultation Paper also mentioned that its Liverpool Plains translator is set to move from 96.3 to 99.5, due to a potential adjacent channel interference from 2TM’s proposed main 95.5 service.

From a Sydney DXer perspective, this provides a potential opportunity on being able to pick up 2TM in ideal conditions if or when it converts to FM, as 95.5 is a relatively clear frequency there. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I’m concerned that the lower antenna height of 95.5 2TM and 92.9 2TTT will impact on coverage to the south.

Currently 92.9 can be received from just south of Muswellbrook on the New England highway.

It’s interesting that they’re using 95.5 in Tamworth again. I suspect the higher power 2TM will be less suspectible to interference from ABC Local Radio Taree compared to 2YOU, which used to be 32 watts when on 95.5.

Hopefully 2TM will move reasonably quickly, as we are STILL waiting for the neighbouring 2AD up at Armidale to move to FM!

And interesting they are using Newcastle region frequencies in Manila and Barraba, I will be interested to see if they make it down to Tamworth at all.

And I don’t understand why News Radio is mentioned for 91.7 when it’s been on air for 10 years already?

2 Likes

The LAP wasn’t amended when 91.7 started broadcast - ACMA are taking the opportunity to add it while the LAP gets amended

3 Likes

That’s a long time to wait to amend it so retrospectively.

They have a very odd way of doing things.

3 Likes

I took it as the new LAP reflects the current tech specs, not a downgrade, it’s more that Caralis never lived up to the original specs given.

Had they been at the full 70m, coverage may be better on the fringe.

1 Like

I hope you’re right, it wouldn’t make sense to lower the antenna for no obvious reason and it would be expensive to do also, something we all know Mr Caralis does not like!

1 Like

Their real problem is they never built to the maximum of the specification when setting up TTT. That’s a shame and they’re now happy to live with that compromise.

2 Likes

Yes, i do wonder how much better it could have been to the south had the antenna been at 70 metres.

I mean, it’s okay now, getting some reception from Muswellbrook up seems perfectly reasonable, but I’d like to think DXing 92.9 Tamworth from down here in Newcastle would have occurred more often (to get over the top of Classic Sydney). And as the Tamworth ABCs on 91.7, 93.9 and 103.1 which are also at Soma and are only 10kw are heard in higher parts of Newcastle almost daily.

2 Likes

Because as the consultation reminds us, their antenna is at 65m.

Having the 92.9 antenna at 70m would certainly have helped then.

1 Like

Just so you know 2TTT/FM 92.9 was built before Broadcast Operations took over the old New England Network so that’s not quite factual

3 Likes

Thanks, yes I have a soft spot for the original " FM92.9 Always Great Rock n Roll"

4 Likes

I can remember FM 92.9 being launched in 1993 and at the time I lived 20km out of Gunnedah and was genuinely excited for it’s launch and can remember I was that Un-whelmed by it that I switched back to NOW FM halfway home (Ironic now as I run NOW FM for a living)

6 Likes

Oh OK, what didn’t you like about FM92.9. …. I thought it sounded pretty good.

2 Likes

Waaaayyy too much American soft stuff. Celine Dion, boys ii men and the like. Instant dial changers for me

4 Likes

Fair enough, I didn’t hear much of that type of music on my visits to Tamworth in 1993-1994 …. I heard stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Diesel, Bon Jovi, Soul Asylum that was more in keeping with the “Always Great Rock n Roll” positioner.

I recall hearing NOW FM then too, they were good also…. I remember them doing NSW and QLD time calls eg. “it’s 10.30:in NSW, 9.30 in QLD”…. That felt odd hearing that on FM when in Tamworth! Does NOW (or 2VM) still do those kind of timecalls?

2 Likes

Yes but mainly just by saying NSW or daylight saving time :timer_clock:

2 Likes

Yes I remember 92.9 of the 1994 era too.
They sounded like NX fm which had the same positioner, but did not have the grunge of Nx fm.

Back then rock was the primary format on fm radio. 2day fm probably the least rocky of the stations I was familiar with. To give you another example Albury’s B104.9, now Hit, was a full blown rock station that played Smoke on the Water.How times have changed.

Do you think there will be noticeable difference in reception. When 2TM converts to fm and 92.9 shares their broadcast antenna?

Could these new specs also be to do with ACMA’s phobia of overspill?

2 Likes