AM and FM DX

Those lists are just indicative, being the ones you are most likely to receive.

3 Likes

That is the list for the current time of day.

If you go into Filter and change the time to around 10:00 UTC or 8pm here and have a look at the list of over 100 stations that shows up. It might indicate a few stations to aim for.

It lists the following for 900

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s interesting… I meant to ask which app or website is that you’re using?

1 Like

https://fmscan.org/

You can adjust for time, and with FM for antenna gain and height etc

4 Likes

Ah thanks, I have seen that before, didn’t realise you could change time of day… Will have to have another look at it.

1 Like

I too didn’t realised you could change the time either, thanks!

1 Like

Yes - the site gives a list for the time that you submit the query, so for AM it is a necessity if you want to see what the daytime local stations are, though in some cases adjusting the threshold signal strength can also be tried. In the above example, more daytime stations are listed if you change the signal level to lower than the default threshold of 35db

1 Like

2QN and 2BL are interesting ones that come up as green for me

The Sun is still up and I can hear 2CH at very good quality

I have given up finding weird AM stations and have tuned into Saturday Night Gold with Allan Quinn on KLFM which has a much better signal.

1 Like

Some tropo around tonight here in NW Sydney. More the affect of serious signal refraction. Newcastle National fm’s going from stereo to no signal at all. Wollongong have gone to hissy stereo with no RDS. Middle Bro ABC Classic Fm received In stereo at medium strength.

What is reception like up In Newie tonight for Sydney and Wollongong signals?

Update: All Newcastle Fm stations have now all come back in quite strong now

Thank you.

Kev has never bothered about this site in setting it up right, TAFE students could do a better job ensuring the embarrassment didn’t happen.

No surprise and look who owns that too.

What I’m most interested in is why ACMA have never investigated. Ongoing incompetence for decades now just a short drive from Canberra or Sydney for their field crews. Nice little drive and a bit of overtime for them.

How’d it go @TV.Cynic ? How high did you climb to attach it?

And the amount of fortuitous coverage will be very interesting and likely convenient.

Could it also be a poor set up of RDS?

So not much front to back ratio to receive off the sides?

Aren’t you lucky instead of being swamped by the ridiculous decision to use 94.5 on the Sunshine Coast. Is 100.9 off Nardi receivable for you or swamped by 101.1 Logan?

What stations come in from Port Moresby? Do you know what their ERP is?

Same could be asked of Barossa council who don’t treat their retransmission of Adelaide stations on FM into Angaston as mission critical.

I’ve called them when in market and asked why they’re not on air, was keen to hear 5DN/Cruise on FM

If you believe the hype Snow puts out to the radio industry publications, SNOW is the only choice worth listening to in town there!

Many will be excited about this. @RFBurns I’m sure. What RDS functions does the new TX have? And what tower is the NEW antenna on again?

This is coming from Mt Stanley is it?

Do you think it’s had a hard life looking at the knocks and rust on it? I have a Technics receiver from a similar year which looks like it’s fresh out the box.

Thanks, I am most interested as to what the switch on date was for 91.7

The reception is stable up the freeway into the CBD? Or does it fluctuate/flutter?

Running against 94.5 wouldn’t be viable, what do you think of the format?

That’s standard. I can receive 7AD at night at Skennars Head in the Ballina Shire simply by turning the null towards the local AM 900 signal from 2LM.

It’s a pity ACMA no longer have legislative oversight of TX sites so the Camerons and previous owners couldn’t have let the 7AD and 7BU sites run down so they could claim they ‘had’ to switch to FM, the Tassie AM signals carry a wonderful way in the day or night.

What can you receive from PNG, Indonesia, East Timor and beyond along the northern shores of Australia?

The list should define Lismore’s site as Bexhill, it’s about 10 km out of Lismore.

Now you’ve found a station that understands local radio better than the mess that once was the proud 3BO and it’s FM counterpart.

Friday 28 Sep, mid afternoon, 97.9 had ABC Classic clearly receivable on quite a deaf car radio (2004 Merc 320 CLK Avantgarde) around the Ballina/Byron Shires.

1 Like

Stations from New Guinea received

89.1 Paradise FM <1kw
89.9 NBC Radio Central 1kw
90.7 NBC Karai National Radio 1kw
93.9 FM Light 1kw
95.5 NBC Kibi Gadona 1kw

Also received but not positively IDd
92.3 unknown
97.9 Radio 2G
98.5 unknown
99.5 Rait FM

Still evaluating the omni antenna. Very useful for general all around reception at peak of rook height. Next is to get a better amp for it to see if the noise floor can be lowered.

2 Likes

They don’t have a high output for a capital city, clearly only interested in town coverage.

Neither does the Grenfell Street translators for Adelaide, however they are usually the best received in Brisbane when conditions are right instead of the main freqs in the more congested 100+ section of the band.

1 Like

Some good tropo today on the Coffs Coast. ABC stations from Wollongong were in quite well. Commercial stations not so. Lower frequency Sydney FMers in at good strength too.

2 Likes

Have you received the 97.9 ABC Classic FM I received on Fri up the coast round Ballina/Byron?

97.9 is the local ABC Classic FM here so I’m not surprised you could hear it in Ballina.

1 Like

Thanks, it was the only station of the set of national broadcasters that appeared on the station list in the car.

I have received it as far north as up near Murwillumbah, and during tropo, in Brisbane.

1 Like

Yes & I’ve discussed briefly with Brandon already.

NEW FM is on the NBNTV tower Northern tower on Mt Sugarloaf.

2 Likes