AM and FM DX

Getting some good DX right now.

Power FM Nowra coming in through Rhema Central Coast with RDS.

Heard a couple of ads for businesses in Batemans Bay and Moruya which I thought was interesting given they have their own Power FM.

2 Likes

Interesting that there was tropo yesterday as the airmass was still quite cool (17C with a seabreeze all afternoon here).

1 Like

Thereā€™s still some about this morning too.

Up until recenty, we only knew of one spot on the whole monaro where you could receive Oak-FM 101.3 on a car radio (on a hill near Nimmitabel on the monaro hwy). Today I found a 2nd spot just outside Cooma on Maffra Rd.

ā€œOak-FM a soft station it ainā€™tā€ā€¦

3 Likes

AM stereo tuner on Ebay. One of those Sony ST-JX220Aā€™s with wide band AM stereo

1 Like

Despite the wet weather in Sydney today, and the Hepburn forecast charts showing no enhancements there is some slight ducting occurring at present.
It is favouring Wollongong / Central Coast / Newcastle. But not reaching Middle Bro.
Central Coast Communities really strong with Coast Fm received with RDS and little splatter from the Edge. KO in stereo at times. Faint New Fm, and Hit 106.9 breaking through underneath Vox.
Wollongong tv all 100% signal strength v 96% in normal conditions.

1 Like

91.7 from Mandurah is finally transmitting on air.

The official launch is on 1st October (see https://www.6mm.com.au/info/1116-6mm-is-changing/ )

It comes through all the way to Perth CBD on my car I suspect only in mono (like 97.3). At home 20 km south of Perth it just pulls in stereo on one of the better radios. It will be interesting to see what change in format they will make, I hope not another mix94.5 lookalike.

2 Likes

Can someone explain to me why I am receiving Tasmanian radio from devenport on 900khz up at Wedderburn, Victoria? It identified itself as ā€œ7ADā€.

At night time, AM radio waves bounce off the ionosphere back down to other parts of the country.

It is common for such signals to be received on the other side of the country.

New Zealand AM radio can also be received at night in the eastern states.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, Now that I tilted the radio Iā€™m hearing the Super Radio Network from the south east slopes, whatever station that is. Same frequency as before.

Sounds like 900 2LM Lismore (north east NSW) youā€™re getting there.

1 Like

Now Iā€™m getting Sydneyā€™s 2CH on 1171am. Iā€™m surprised! Iā€™m using a Tecsun PL-606 with just the inbuilt antenna!

Adjust it to 1170, thatā€™s the actual frequency.

2 Likes

The radio just automatically finds these frequencies, it has found no Melbourne ones just interstateā€¦ Itā€™s a wonder. Weā€™re just sitting down listening to the radio by the campfire.

1 Like

I suspect itā€™s 2LF Young - the South West Slopes

@Dj_Cazzah said it was on 900, same frequency as 7AD. (?)

Okay, but if you do what I do and ignore half of the message, Iā€™m right :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2LM it is!!

3 Likes

I was actually getting something from Young last night as well, Iā€™ll try again tonight and see what else I can find.

2 Likes

Ah so @AustralianAerial was right after all!

That would be 2LF on 1350, also part of the Super Radio Network.

2 Likes

They are the only AM stations I should be able to receive where I am atm!