AM and FM DX

Some stations from Mackay area coming into Brisbane incl Classic FM 97.9, MMM on 98.7, JJJ on 99.5, PNN 104.3. ABCRN Miriam Vale, Rebel FM Banana. Usual Rockhampton/Yeppoon stations as well.

1 Like

Hi @Ant5476.

Iā€™m pleased you posted this later post as I too received 92.7 Sky Sports Radio later (earlier I too had 2ZOO).
I was wondering if I might well have received Sky Sports Radio - Inverell as I didnā€™t receive any of the other Port Macquarie outlets, eg Hit 102.3MHz. But given that you received 92.7 with 102 .3 & I too noted the tropo (as predicted) to moving out to the coast Iā€™m happy to log this as Port Macquarie. I too had Triple J Manning River over Coast FM.

Iā€™m surprised 92.7 Sky Sports Radio - Port Macquarie was coming in so well, itā€™s only about 1.5kW in the direction of Sydney. Hit 102.3 is 20kW omni, but not a wiff of it here. Hit 102.3 is 45m up the mast & 92.7 is just 20m.

The really odd thing about tropo dx is that it can not only be quite directional by azimuth, but also height dependant at tx & rx ends, like a piece of flexible conduit.

I tried for Muswellbrook on 98.1, but only received i98. Nice get by you.

2 Likes

Nice logs Ant5476.

I had many of the same logs, but didnā€™t receive 99.3 or 96.7.
99.3 Brock is a nice log as 2NSB is now transmitting from a new site at even higher elevation than previously in Chatswood, so it pushes a stronger signal out to many areas.
92.3 Bathurst was my first log of the morning followed by 92.7 ZOO
I had Orange 103.5 & 107.5, the later was much weaker.
Dubbo Central Western Slopes 105.5 & 106.3 were also in.

I was looking at these Hepburn Maps two days prior and was looking forward to some tropo dx from the west.
I was surprised at the accuracy & how long the tropo lasted after sunrise.

2 Likes

Good catches @ozbark and @Ant5476

Been at work all day, so looking forward to some DX after dinner with a :beer: or 2.

I think we are now heading into that part of year where the coastal ducts wonā€™t be as strong but weā€™ll see more inland ducting.

1 Like

Middle Brother ABCs VERY strong.

Even 96.3 Triple J is causing Coast FM Gosford a lot of grief here tonight, which is quite unusual, given I am well shielded to the north. Port Macquarie HIT 102.3 and MMM 100.7 both received. No Coffs Harbour ABC though.

Wollongong also very strong.

Nothing from inland though, which I was hoping for given earlier forum member posts today.

1 Like

Where in Chatswood is the new tx site for Northside Radio?

Tell us more about this please? What was previous ASL and AGL and the new ASL and AGL?

(And no, itā€™s Altitude above Sea Level, leave your dirty minds elsewhere.)

Unfortunately for me, I think the 2NSB signal is worse since the Tx relocation.

1 Like

Hi Ant5476 & Crankymedia,

The previous tx site for 2NSB 99.3 was on the Sebel towntouse apartment building in Chatswood CBD here:

Iā€™m sorry I donā€™t have the antenna height on building above ground level (AGL), but Google Earth says ground height is ~97m ASL.
The 2NSB antenna was located on the western end of the rooftop. If using Google Earth (default image) the precise antenna location on rooftop would have been: -33.797681Ā° 151.181439Ā°

The present location of 2NSB antenna is located on the: (ACMA records) Meriton Serviced Apartment Building 11 Albert Lane.
If using Google Earth (default image) the antenna location on rooftop would be roughly: -33.798532Ā° 151.179128Ā°. https://goo.gl/maps/JZxwg9mvDSP2
I think the antenna is located on the right side of the rooftop lift structure on the building from Streetview image. The mast you see on Streetview is the lightening attracting stick.
ACMA records give antenna height as: 95m. Height ASL from Google Earth is: ~103m ASL
Maybe the new site antenna is ~ 15-25m higher. This is just a guess.

I suspect the previous antenna at previous site was clearer of nearby antennas, but the new site is now definitely higher.

Due to the terrain around the Meriton Serviced Apartment Building it is difficult to gain a good look or identify the transmission antenna. One really needs a drone with camera or access to floors of nearby highrise buildings to get a look at their antenna.

Hope the above helps :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve stayed in those Meriton Apartments before.

I wonder what the reception is going to be like being directly underneath it :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes me too - briefly. Nice views out to the west.
Lots of multipath I suspect ??

I was facing south - had a view of the Artarmon, Willoughby and Gore Hill sticks.

I think overload was the main issue for me.

Some good tropo about this afternoon!

Highlights so far

Wave and i98 with ā€œNow Playingā€ RDS over the nearby low power 2CHR and News Radio

Even more impressive, Pulse 94.1 and Power 94.9 both with RDS. Pulse also had the 2nd line text coming through.

Clear ABC stations from the South Coast in stereo.

2EC 105.9 from the same location but mono only and no RDS. Couldnā€™t get Power 104.3 though.

2ST 106.7 Ulladulla mono only and no RDS. EDIT: Now with RDS including 2nd line text which as Iā€™ve now discovered has Now Playing info! See piccy in RDS thread.

2BAB 92.7 from St Georges Basin in stereo.

2 Likes

Now getting Power 104.3 ā€¦ Splatter from Star 104.5 (and 2DAY) is REALLY bad, so no RDS and mono only. Hopefully the signal will get stronger as the afternoon progresses.

1 Like

Far South Coast ABCs from Bega/Cooma are now being received! 89.7 PNN, 99.3 Classic and 100.1 JJJ.

100.9 2RN is there too, but it seems to be carrying a stereo pilot. It could just be 2PSR underneath it that is causing that? Have cross checked with other RN signals to verify content.

Nice logs. Home too late tonight to log anything. Re Stereo on 100.9, yes most likely stereo carrier from 2PSR. Iā€™m not aware of any RN FM outlets with STEREO pilot carrier.

1 Like

Some enhancements of the Canberra National fmā€™s from Black Mountain into NW Sydney this morning.
The strongest where News Radio on 103.9, and ABC Classic Fm on 102.3. Also briefly had Mix 106.3 and 2XX. Very little enhancement of Eagle Fm.

3 Likes

Getting reasonable stereo reception of Hit104.7 and Mix106.3 with station name RDS Canberra right now.

Weak reception of 1CMS, 1WAY and 2XX, but not 1ART.

Canberra ABCs also well received with low static levels.

1 Like

Had a report from last year that in winter when there was a lot of power line QRM. 4KQ from Brisbane could be heard faintly under 3AW and interference. Pretty impressive for a location of 5 meters ASL and at around 7AM in winter!

How does altitude of the AM site influence the DX reception?