AM and FM DX

First Sporadic E of the season for me at the moment, although not in Perth but on my parents’ station in the north of SA (80 km NW of Leigh Creek). 97.9 Triple M and 98.7 ABC Classic FM coming in from Mackay but with some serious fading in and out - hopefully more to come with this heat!

3 Likes

I am at at mount tomah gardens getting lake macq fm (97.3). Wanted to listen to the cricket. Using LG V20 fm radio.Great to have an fm radio on a mobile. Found 92.5 fm instead from gosford :).

1 Like

Well, I am perched up on the south side of the 40th floor of a Sydney CBD hotel for a few nights and noting the following DX catches:

Middle Brother ABCs on 95.5, 96.3, 97.1 and 98.7 at up to 15db on the Teccy.
Nothing else from the North Coast.

Faint Newcastle ABCs on 102.1 and 106.1, only up to about 5db.
Nothing else from Newcastle, though there was some faint 97.5 2HD from Nelson Bay.

Faint ABCs from Batemans Bay, only up to about 5db.

None of these were there last night.

1 Like

VK Meaning Australia and the numbers following the same format for Ham Callsigns as they use for Radio stations

2 Likes

What about 2CC and 2CA… shouldnt they be 1CC ? :smiley:

3 Likes

IIRC, the ACT was merged with NSW in terms of Radio Licencing and Callsigns.

My recollection is that the ACMA determined that any new Canberra licensee from the most recent LAP revision in 2000 and onwards, plus any changes to existing ones, would automatically get the 1 prefix by default.

So 2KIX changed to 1MIX / 1CBR, but 104.7 has stuck with 2ROC since its inception in 1987.

1 Like

You raise a very good Point :slight_smile:

I think @TV.Cynic listed his record of the number of different transmissions he received of the same broadcast sometime ago.

Here’s one I achieved on the car radio earlier today at Braye Park Lookout in Newcastle…

Classic FM on 9 different frequencies:
92.9 Sydney
95.7 Wollongong
96.7 Upper Namoi
97.9 Coffs Harbour
98.7 Taree / Port Macquarie
102.7 Orange
103.1 Tamworth
103.5 Armidale
106.1 Newcastle

Couldn’t get 105.5 from the Central West Slopes though.

2 Likes

Had the Adelaide main and Foothill stations earlier today including Hills FM on 88.9 that continues to miss the ACMA station list.

Now, it might be Victoria’s turn: 88.9 Hamilton briefly had RDS.

Happy DX New Year

2 Likes

Yes, DX conditions have been very quiet here in NSW in the last week or so…

Today’s Hepburn forecast only shows a slight improvement in conditions… Today’s weather is clear, sunny, warm to very warm and fairly still… We’ll see what happens.

Happy DXing New Year!

2 Likes

@TV.Cynic I’m getting Melbourne now full stereo. Currently Smooth 91.5 getting into Brisbane really well

2 Likes

Same here - lost several Gold Coast stations to high power Victorians and just got positive ID on 91.5

2 Likes

Mackay was into Sydney just a few minutes ago. Rds from triplem 98.7 and star1019. Both have faded now with Taree and orange respectively underneath.

2 Likes

Melbourne’s turn for DX will be on Thursday at around 11AM :slight_smile:

Big opening continuing, Tasmania very strong at the moment.

Some RDS

Geelong

imageimage

ABC Classic Station on 92.9 that has RDS - must be Sydney

Power

Tassie

imageimage

2 Likes

Some great catches there!

I’m assuming Power FM was Ballarat?
If so, did you get 3BA?

Power FM surprisingly was 2EEE 104.3

3RBA was received on 102.3

Not too bad a start to the year with Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Hobart in same opening.

2 Likes

With Valley FM off air in SEQ on 95.9 - first chance to log 150w 4WK Dalby - can just be received - always a silver lining :slight_smile: .

1 Like

Fiji FM received in Numeralla on New Year’s Day.

2 Likes