AM and FM DX

Same for me tonight, the Mid North Coast ABC nationals from Middle Brother have been the standouts with 98.7 the strongest as normal.First time this summer Triple J has wiped our Coast Fm, as Coast Fm is normally quite strong at my location. Newcastle commercials in again this evening and Port Stephens nationals / 2HD.
Tried 91.5 for Triple J Kempsey / Coffs but was not received.
My most exotic catch was 102.3 Triple J Central West.

2 Likes

A few more from tonight - 2WET 103.1 Community radio Kempsey, 2GF 103.9 Maclean and Racing radio from Armidale on 104.3.

95.5 from Mid North Coast was eventually strong enough to overcome 4WK and 4TAB on the same frequency.

1 Like

Tropo is still very strong this morning.

Am still getting Sydney high power stations at over 50db, which is the same as what I get the local Newcastle stations at. Wollongong still in at over 40db.

A hot sunny day is forecast, hotter than yesterday.
Will be interesting to see how long these signals hang around for at these levels.

1 Like

Itā€™s mostly dead here in Melbourneā€¦

1 Like

My effort from Coogee Beach last night. A few first time catches from Sydney in this lot, notably 2RE Forster, 2WAY FM, and Radio Dungog.

3 Likes

GGG 97.5 and Racing Radio 95.9 plus ABC high powers into Brisbane. Also Rockhampton incl hit CQ on 107.9

1 Like

Just lost several Gold Coast stations to strong Tasmanian signals including Hit 100.9

1 Like

There is a strong duct at present between Sydney and the Central Coast into NW Sydney. I am getting the strongest signal of Coast Fm that I have ever got at my location. Perfect stereo with no splatter from The Edge 96.1.
ABC Central Coast even scanning on the Digitech Tuner with no cochannel IF from 92.5 Moss Vale.
Only faint Newcastle Commercials, and Middle Brothers compared to last nights.

2 Likes

Yes, not as good as last night, still not bad though.

I reckon the REALLY good ducting doesnā€™t happen until after the summer solstice, with the peak in January.

Inland ducting seems to be more common later in summer.

1 Like

Yes last year on the Summer Solstice Dec 21st 2016 there was a massive e skip opening to NZ which started mid morning and lasted to late afternoon. I have not had any eskip reception since then.

Since last Summer I have made some changes to the positioning of my Omni outdoor fm antenna which is now favouring reception from Wollongong, Central Coast, Newcastle, Middle Brother at the expense of Bathurst and Goulburn. So I am now getting different tropo signals to last summer.

1 Like

CQ into Brisbane now including Rockhamptonā€™s hit107.9 and community station 4US on 100.7 plus both commercial stations from Gladstone. Also Mackay Triple M on 98.7 plus ABC on 97.9 and 104.3.

1 Like

More excellent tropo into NW Sydney at present with Newcastle and Middle Brother very strong, with Triple J on 96.3 completely dominating Coast Fm.

Some new catches received tonight, 92.7 Sky Sports Radio Port Macquarie, and Hit 102.3 Port Macquarie received for the second time only.

Tamworth News Radio on 91.7 and Radio National Tamworth on 93.9 also received but only very weak.
Triple J Tamworth could not be received due to the strength of News Radio Middle Brother on the same frequency.

Newcastle was so strong that KO Fm was even decoding RDS.

3 Likes

Tropo Alert!!!

Tropo still strong this morning with Newcastle at local strength with KO, 2NUR and Hit 106.9 decoding RDS. Mid North Coast not as strong as at midnight.

At 8:20am EDST just got Triple J on 91.5 from Kempsey / Grafton. First time catch on my setup.

2 Likes

This duct is STILL going strong.

I am now getting Triple J from Coffs Harbour in stereo despite my very poor line of sight to the north.

Something was mixing with Classic FM on 97.9, as I heard a few seconds of an ad for Rebel Sport.

Faint ABCs from Batemans Bay and Canberra also.

Wollongong stations still also very strong, and as a result, my TV still hasnā€™t received local channels since Wednesday night (as Newcastle DTV is co-channelled with the Illawarra signals)ā€¦

2 Likes

Things are starting to return to normal here with only slight enhancements of Newcastle and Middle Brother. Port Macquarie and Triple J Kempsey / Grafton are long gone.
See how tropo is tonight.

2 Likes

Iā€™m currently picking up 91.8 More FM from Auckland at my home near Campbelltown through my DX setup connected to my rotatable antenna that is currently aiming east (ie. towards NZ)!! :smiley:

4 Likes

Me too, first eskip of the season. booming In after fades at its peak.

Also got News Talk ZB on 89.4 and Concert Fm on 92.6. Dropping off now so donā€™t know how long it will last.

3 Likes

Tropo still going strong up here in Newcastleā€¦
Whatā€™s it like in Sydney tonight?

Mostly favouring coastal and elevated sites from Sydney and Wollongong ā€¦ Sydney commercials FMs in at up to 56dB on my Tecsun, not far off my record reading of 60dB achieved a couple of summers ago.

Nothing much at all from up north though, and still only faint signals from south of the Gong.

At my home near Campbelltown, Iā€™m getting Newcastle commercials (except KO, as 2ST is more dominant on the 102.9 frequency), as well as Great Lakes FM from Forster, 97.5 2HD from Port Stephens & the ABC stations from Taree/Manning River (exc 96.3 JJJ, as Coast FM Gosford dominates the frequency).

3 Likes

I can currently receive a very clear stereo signal of KOFM (and itā€™s usually the strongest of the three Newcastle commercial stations during tropo in this location with New FM the weakest), but of course itā€™s not that exciting from a content perspective when both it and 2GO are running the same music! :slight_smile:

1 Like