AM and FM DX

I’m in the Eurobodalla until Thursday. Yesterday I had 92.5 MHz 7PNN Launceston quite strong on south facing slopes between Durras and Moruya. This morning 2RSR and 2RRR were in via tropo from both Congo and Braidwood. At the latter, inland tropo was also strong with Bathurst, Orange and Coonabarabran high powered FM received. I have not caught any Sporadic E as yet.

3 Likes

Some tropo here tonight at Stanhope Gardens (NW Sydney)
Currently receiving Triple J Central West Slopes on 102.3 mono only and fading in and out.

2XX and News Radio from Canberra fading in and out, no Eagle Fm reception at all.
Some enhancement of the high powered Orange Nationals.

ABC Classic Fm Middle Brother quite unstable, one minute it is in clear stereo and then completely fades out.

Nothing else to report.

1 Like

Great to hear of a signal from Mt Barrow into Eurobodalla. Nothing else off the site?

Still a bit of weak tropo hanging around this morning in Stanhope Gardens. Very slight enhancements again of the usual signals: KO Fm, Canberra Nationals + 2XX, Central West Slopes, and Manning River. Orange nationals weaker then normal.

Looking forward to some decent tropo to occur and the first eSkip of the season.

1 Like

90.9- blocked by 2PNN Illawarra
91.7- blocked by 2ST Huskisson
93.3- likely blocked by 2MNO Nimmitabel but didn’t check this one
94.1- blocked by 2LIV Wollongong

I found an excellent DX site (north-facing) at Dalmeny this morning. Sydney FM was received at local strength; 102.1 JJJ Newcastle and 107.7 2GGO Gosford were also very good. Tropo conditions were much weaker than yesterday also; I reckon DAB would be a shot in decent conditions.

3 Likes

A quick scan of the FM band this morning in Brisbane and ABC’s cricket coverage could be heard on
90.3, 91.7, 92.3, 94.5, 95.3, 99.1, 100.1 and 104.9.

1 Like

I went to a scenic lookout on Jamberoo Mountain Road over an hour ago, for what was to be a trip to take a few photos with my camera. I had actually traveled to the lookout yesterday afternoon for the same purpose, however I accidentally left my SD card at home (so I couldn’t take any photos). Anyway, I went up there this afternoon…only to find out that both of my camera batteries had died.

If there was a somewhat positive thing to come out of the situation, I briefly carried out a bandscan through my car radio. Unfortunately, I didn’t get a chance to complete the bandscan, as a thunderstorm was rolling in and with me not being too far from the telecommunication towers at Knights Hill, I didn’t want to risk staying there. I suppose something is better than nothing! :stuck_out_tongue:

Illawarra Lookout, NSW, Australia
3:15pm - 3:30pm

87.6 - Oldies FM
87.8 - Not sure of the name of the station, but it’s a religious station and I know I can receive it at my home location.
88.0 - *More information on this below.
89.1 - RBM FM (2BLU)
89.3 - Signal was very faint. I think this may have just been splatter from 89.1
89.7 - Eastside Radio (2RES)
90.9 - ABC News Radio
91,3 - C91.3
91.7 - 2ST

In regards to 88.0 MHz, I honestly have no idea what it possibly could be. I think it may be a pirate radio station, as there is very little relevant information online as to what the station could be. Every time I have tuned into the station over the past 12-18 months, the station has been playing “middle-eastern” music, with seemingly no presenters or announcers. I have been able to receive the station in Wollongong, Port Kembla, my home location and now near Knights Hill, so I assume the signal must be transmitting from somewhere in the Illawarra.

I also picked up two Short-Wave stations. I’m guessing that both stations were Chinese, although I suppose they could have been from any Asian country. I was able to take note of one of the frequencies:

1 Like

There’s Adventist World Radio in Guam listed on that frequency.

1 Like

A bit of ducting happening tonight.

The Sydney suburban stations coming in very strongly. SWR 999 coming in at 35db on the Teccy!

Even the notoriously hard to get (for me) 2BACR Bankstown was received faintly.

ABC South Coast eg 103.5 2BA was there, but faint, only about 3-4 db on the Teccy

1 Like

I think it’s a Macedonian station, possibly ‘Radio Hertz’ which was on 100.7 MHz before the LPON restack. A decade ago there was Radio C-Mac on 105.3 MHz which also had a Macedonian format. The Illawarra witnessed a boom in immigration from Macedonia because of the steelworks.

87.8 SFN 3V85 Coming in quite good for a first timer from what appears to be Balwyn or Caulfield at 1.64W ERIP. Distance of 13km!

Also 94.3 3SEA From Gippsland seen from the SDR but not receivable.

1 Like

A new Australian FM DX record was set last week with the reception of 92.3 MHz DXWT Davao City, Philippines from the Monaro. The distance is ~5435 km. The previous Australian record was some 1000 km less (American Samoa from Marlo, VIC).

5 Likes

Wowee, 5,000km! Impressive! And how appropriate that the station callsign has DX in it :grin:

IMG_4410

Hobart into Kingaroy this morning

6 Likes

Enhanced reception from the north into Brisbane last night and this morning. Today extending to Rockhampton and including Miriam Vale and Yeppoon low powers. Also receiving WIN TV from Wide Bay on Ch 10.

1 Like

Was 4CC there on 90.5?

I recall 4CC wanted to convert to FM across the whole Rockhampton to fix reception issues on 1584 into Yeppoon, but the ACMA (quite rightly I thought) said no.

No Gladstone stations today - Rebel would probably be too hard to overcome anyway.

1 Like

Ah of course… forgot about Rebel

I did mean 4CC on 90.5 from Yeppoon.

1 Like

Any tips on SDR radios. I was thinking on would be good for summer DXing? I realise I’ll probably need an extra external drive.

A bit of ducting happening in the Newcastle area.

Am getting ABC stations from Batemans Bay and Canberra in reasonably clean mono sound. Also 91.7 2ST Huskisson and 2BAB receivable.

1 Like