AM and FM DX

Hi all, first time poster but long time Dxer - I’m based in Perth and currently (5:30 pm) picking up a Hindi station ID’ing as Radio Rhythm on a fairly decent signal on 1692 AM. Any idea where this would be? The website states 1053 for Brisbane but no mention of 1692 - I don’t normally get many mystery stations here in Perth. Then again my PR-D13 never ceases to amaze with twilight and early morning signals - earlier this year while camping on the South East coast of WA I caught 1530 VOA from Africa at about 4am (600 kw blaster if I remember rightly but limited hours of broadcast).

2 Likes

Hi Welcome aboard.

There is a 400 w narrow cast station licenced to Perth on 1692.

This is the Register of Radiocommunications Licences entry

https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl/assignment_search.lookup?pEFL_ID=2891378

2 Likes

That is probably the answer but will have to find out for sure during the day as I haven’t heard anything here on 1692 before - I’m a bit surprised at how weak the signal is if it’s just up the road at Osborne Park - my first guess was a distance like Bunbury considering the signal strength.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on receiving VOA from Sao Tomé by the way. There’s also VOA on 909 kHz from Botswana to try. An early morning session at Cape Leeuwin or Cape Naturaliste should yield excellent results, particularly if a passive loop or longwire antenna are employed. How many Asian signals do you receive on a regular basis over there?

There is also Radio Symban (Greek) on 1692. It’s likely from somewhere in western NSW. There are licences for Wedderburn, Bungendore, and Newcastle, though none of these fit the observed signal strength and direction from Sydney.

1 Like

Cheers for the 909 VOA and the DX location tips - will have to try them out. Also I can confirm that 1692 is indeed a Perth based relay of Radio Rhythm from Brisbane.

2 Likes

As mentioned in the Wollongong Radio Forum did a trip to Bowral and Knights Hill today and got some great Dx catches on the trip.

On range road near Springfields at about 800m ASL 97.7 Snow Fm from Mt Roberts was cutting in over the top of 97.7 SBS from Sydney. This also happened along the Illawarra Highway towards Robertson where there was excellent LOS to the south and obstructions to the north, but more so as interference. This is the furtherst north I have received snow fm as it normally fades out on the northern side of Governors Hill.

At the Bowral lookout at the GIb all Canberra fm stations including community were received even on my pocket DAB radio with headphone antenna. Eagle Fm near full signal strength with RDS.
Power fm Batemans Bay 104.3 playing the same playlist as 94.9 Power Fm Nowra.
2ST 106.7 from Ulladulla.
Hit 93.1 Wagga, Hit 105.9 Orange, Sea Fm and Hit 104.7 All playing the same songs too.
Canberra DAB could not be scanned on my portable. However Sydney DAB could be received at full strength at the Mittagong lookout. Sydney DAB could also be received while sitting out in Corbet Garden Bowral.

2 Likes

You can usually hear Snow FM fading up and down at the Wingecarribee Dam too. On the coast, Snow FM can be heard as far north as Kingsford Smith Lookout, Gerroa; it is pretty much local strength coming down Cambewarra Mountain too, as you’re almost completely obstructed to the north there.

I took a trip to Mona Vale headland (Hillcrest Ave) yesterday evening with my new Tecsun PL-880 and 65 cm loop. Results were good, with the following stations heard:

940 kHz KFIG ‘ESPN Radio’ Fresno CA (very good)
1050 kHz KTCT ‘ESPN Radio’ San Mateo CA (good)
1120 kHz KPNW Eugene OR (presumed, fair on peaks)
1190 kHz KEX Portland OR (presumed this with weak talk under 2NZ splatter, had to tune in SSB mode)
1570 kHz KUAU Hawaii (good with usual religious talk)
1580 kHz KBLA Santa Monica CA (very good with Spanish talk+music)

All of these can be considered ‘marker’ stations for USA propagation. I didn’t try many other frequencies but others may have been present. The best time to DX these stations is 15 minutes prior to, and half an hour after, local sunset. The Australian stations simply become too dominant afterward.

There was also some minor coastal enhancement present on the FM band with Coffs on 91.5/97.9/99.5 in at weak levels; 92.7 TAB Port Macquarie and Bay and Basin were in, too.

3 Likes

A bit of moderate enhancement about tonight in the wider Sydney area.

From my place at Charlestown just south of Newcastle, Sydney reception is considerably better than usual, particularly for the suburban community stations. The only ones not receivable are 2SSR 99.7 Sutherland (due to Rhema Newcastle), 2RPH 100.5 Sydney City (though it was having a detrimental impact on the SNR of the local 2RPH), 2AIR 100.7 Penrith, 2BAC 100.9 Bankstown (not even in a null of 2PSR Port Stephens).

Finding that because 91.6 VOI is coming in at over 30db, I have to tune to 91.78 to hear 2ST Huskisson, which itself is reasonably weak. The only other station I can get from south of Wollongong is 2BAB 92.7 from Vincentia.

Wollongong majors also very strong at over 40db for the ABCs, though not as strong as the Sydney majors, which are over 50db, virtually local strength.

2 Likes

Great Shakes FM and the Taree majors were putting in a good signal at Dolls Point late this afternoon. Nothing from Port, Kempsey, or Coffs.

Expect more tropo tomorrow afternoon and evening as a seabreeze overrides an unseasonably hot airmass (which will be felt in all its fury on Saturday).

1 Like

We could be in for a very good tropo season if these conditions persist, particularly the lack of rain.

There’s more tropo happening in Sydney & the surrounding areas tonight.

On this end it seems to be mainly enhancement of Central Coast & Newcastle stations. Nothing overly exciting, but I’m sure others might be getting more interesting reception! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It was building nicely up here this afternoon as well, with slightly better reception than last night, but tonight, I’m glued to the box with the NRL finals on!

1 Like

Tropo must be more prevalent over the coastal fringe then in NW Sydney. Only very slight enhancements of the Newcastle National Fm’s, Central Coast communities and 2ST from Bowral. No Newcastle Commercials

1 Like

The stations from Orange are coming in for me at the moment.

2 Likes

Enhanced signals from the north into Brisbane this morning. All Rockhampton ABCs, hit107.9, 4US community and TAB on 99.9 plus 4TO Townsville 102.3.

2 Likes

I was getting all Wide Bay signals at seekable levels in Scarborough this morning. Even with my antenna vertical and pointing at Lismore I got Zinc straight over the top of JJJ.

3 Likes

I would have thought near Redcliffe, you would normally get Zinc on 96.1 instead of JJJ Lismore…??

1 Like

Depends how I have my antenna and what direction. Horizontal facing SW I get JJJ everytime. Facing north and vertical I get Zinc

3 Likes

104.9 Sunshine FM, a Sunshine Coast community station of smaller licence and specs than the commercials was easily receivable in Brisbane over the co channeled ABC that usually dominates. Came up in the RDS list.

2 Likes

Some of the low frequency stations in NNSW like Richmond Valley Radio on 89.9 very clear in Brisbane tonight. Coffs Harbour ABCs stronger than usual.