AM and FM DX

The headphone symbol on the top line is the FM stereo indicator. The indicator will come on for the weakest of signals but the threshold for stereo sound can be adjusted.

And it sounds great - headphones or the speakers on the front. Very happy so far.

3 Likes

I have another version of that but performance isnā€™t great on the supplied short whip. Selectivity is excellent though as described. Where did you get the 1 m whip?

1 Like

Might be of interest

2 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s the one. I have software version 1.20. Functions the same as the video.

Came supplied. Here is the Aliexpress link. I ordered the LNA version but it doesnā€™t have the switch on the left side. Iā€™d say the LNA is built in and always on, as using an external LNA overloads it.

4 Likes

Thanks. I think this version is equivalent (and slightly cheaper) because it hasnā€™t got the touch screen tuning.

Do you experience any overload in Bunbury with the LNA version (stock)? It would be good to try it in a high signal strength environment e.g. metro Perth. Overload isnā€™t a problem here in Bungendore but obviously Iā€™d like to travel with this receiver.

I havenā€™t noticed any overload or spurs. I must be fairly sheltered at home as the signal strength doesnā€™t even hit red on the high powered Bunbury stations.

This will be my travel radio to now, over an SDR dongle. Good battery life as well.

2 Likes

Usual suspects 91.9 and 93.5 Bendigo into Renmark with reasonable strength

1 Like

Drove up to Port Macquarie today.

There was some enhancement about this morning.

Had 104.3 Radio National Orange near Karuah.

Sydney commercials were clear until Bulahdelah, still there weakly just north of Taree too.

1 Like

Thought there might have been some tropo this morning. Minimum of -5.7 here compared with 0.1 at Cabramurra, indicating a strong subsidence (high pressure) inversion.

@Radiohead if time permits, perhaps a trip up North Brother might be worth it. Also Tacking Point has yielded some decent results for me.

Seeing as thereā€™s a bit of enhancement around, though I donā€™t know for how long, for you night owl DXā€™ers tonight after 9pm until probably around 5am & same tomorrow night (Tuesday/Wednesday), Hope 103.2 will be on the main FM antenna at Artarmon with SCA & ARN stations at Gore Hill, those changes may help or hinder some?
2MBS will be normal operation but will have a couple of short switching breaks, Koori will be on tonight but off tomorrow night, 2OOO FM & 2MFM will be off both nights between those listed hours.

4 Likes

Yes there was this morning here too, Goulburn Eagle fm was quite strong on the car radio at 5AM. Canberra fm too but not as strong.

2 Likes

Major work on the community fm broadcast antenna?

3 Likes

Community FM combiner re-configuration so we can fit another 2 stations on the antenna.
Canā€™t tell you what oneā€™s yet, youā€™ll find out in 6 weeks or so.

4 Likes

Space for backs for FBI and 2SER? Orbackups for Smooth / Nova? everything else is already at Artarmon.

1 Like

Would be good to have 2SER at Artarmonā€¦ reception from Ultimo is woeful here. Itā€™s the only Sydney wide FM station i canā€™t get clearly. I know they get free rent at the UTS building however.

1 Like

Did some DXing from my Port Macquarie hotel room (north facing).

Best effort is FM104.7 Grafton with RDS . Couldnā€™t get 2GF well enough to get RDS though. Got Lismore ABCs in fair stereo and a weak ZZZ Lismore too.

Have also discovered that the stereo pilots on ABC Local Radio at 95.5 Port/Taree and 94.5 Lismore have been turned off. 92 3 Coffs still has the stereo pilot though.

2 Likes

It would be good too, but they will never move while their current arrangement stays in place.

1 Like

Oh, didnā€™t realise that about 94.5 Lismore (the one I can receive here). So few radios these days have stereo indicators so it can be hard to tell. 91.7 Gold Coast is still stereo as of last time I checked (with two ears in the car haha).

I know ABC Local Radio is predominantly talk programming, but they do play music not infrequently, and given they have the luxury of being on FM in regional areas you feel they should at least operate in stereo. Iā€™d bet if 2BL/3LO/4QR ever ran on FM they would be in full stereo for sure, no reason why the regionals shouldnā€™t either.

1 Like

2000 FM 98.5 is currently off air, which might be good for some DXing.
Edit so is 2MFM 92.1??

2 Likes

Unusual pre storm FM DX in the west today. Augusta 98.3, 99.1 and 101.5 this morning - normally only heard during super strong summer tropo. Then Geraldton 94.9, 98.1, 98.9, 99.7, 100.5 and 10.1.3 this afternoon.

Jurien Bay 103.1, 104.7 and 107.9 also heard - Triple M and Hit still on the wrong frequencies.

4 Likes