AM and FM DX

Troppo from northern NSW down to Middle BRother ABCs into Brisbane.

2 Likes

MT Gambier, SA, into Melbourne, in and out . 96.1 FM and 104.9 FM. And some stations battling it out on 102.5 FM. One of them may be Edge FM, NSW.

Triple J - Mt Burr, SA vs Edge FM, Deniliquin, NSW - on 102.5 FM

Triple J delayed because of the different time zone.

4 Likes

Canberra a little stronger than usual here.
92.5 Music FM is much stronger than usual.
@Dani-Chan Can you hear 88.7 Triple J Goulburn with RDS from your location?

1 Like

Signal is mostly weak and permanent at my location.

2 Likes

Well I wasn’t sure exactly where to put this since it’s a bit of everything, but figured it was of interest to those who read this thread

A list of receivable stations from Waikiki in Hawaii including those broadcasting in HD Radio with the number of streams.

I’ve also recorded a 90 second video of radio tuning in/out of HD station KORL 101.1 which has 4 HD stations (note 380 MB as I haven’t compressed it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pLKsZsC0DdkcsF4_NwgfDwfjuYlSFNVj/view?usp=drivesdk

Frequency / Callsign / Signal Strength (out of 5) / Other notes

88.1 KHPR 5/5 Honolulu “Hawaii Public Radio” HPR-1
88.5 K203EL 3/5 Haleiwa “Hawaii Public Radio” HPR-1
88.9 K205FM 1/5 Kauai “ Kauai Community Radio
89.3 KIPO 5/5 - “Hawaii Public Radio” HPR-2
89.7 KIPM 4/5 Waikapu - “Hawaii Public Radio” HPR-2
90.1 KTUH 4/5
90.3 ??? weak music
90.5 ??? weak music
91.1 K216FI 5/5 very strong - “Effect Radio” religious
91.5 KLTH 2/5 - this was mostly music, but could be nulled out to hear a talk station
92.3 KSSK 4/5 HD… had 2 HD stations, one was the main FM station, but the 2nd had no audio
92.5 ??? weak music, may possibly have been HI92 Maui (160 km away)
92.7 K224FR 5/5 sport “ESPN Honolulu”
92.9 ??? weak music
93.1 KQMQ 5/5 “HI93” Reggae music
93.5 ??? 1/5 Hawaiian music. May have been KPOA Maui?
93.9 KUBT 5/5 HD 1 HD station has the main station, 2nd was a complementary station playing similar music. FM station was mono, no stereo pilot, HD stations were both stereo.
94.3 K232FL 5/5 talk “KHNR The Answer”
94.7 KUMU 5/5 music
95.1 K236CR 5/5 sports “The Shark” (that should be my station!)
95.5 KAIM 5/5 religious music “The Fish”
96.3 KRTR 5/5 adult contemporary “Krater96”
96.7 K244EO 5/5 world music “Shaka 96.7”
97.1 K246BR 5/5 “Retro 97 1” my favourite station music wise. Lots of retro hits. A Google search suggests this is also HD4 on 101.1
97.3 ??? 2/5 weak music. May be K-Rock Maui
97.5 KHCM 4/5 country music “Country 97.5”
98.5 KDNN 5/5 reggae music “Island 98.5”
98.7 ??? 2/5 talk
99.1 K256AS 5/5 pop music “Pop 99.1”
99.5 KGU 5/5 religious “The Word”
100.3 KCCN 4/5 Hawaiian music “FM100” HD only has the main station in HD. Nothing else
100.7 K264BL East Oahu “Hawaii Public Radio” HPR-2
101.1 KORL 4/5. This has FOUR HD stations (as per video)
HD1 - appeared to be the main station but in mono
HD2 & HD3 both appeared to be “1015 K-Rock” but both in mono
HD4 - looks to be Retro 971.
101.5 K268BE 5/5 IDing as “1015 K-Rock” and in stereo
101.9 KUCD 3/5 “Star1019” Adult contemporary
102.1 ??? 1/5 music. May have been KQMY Maui “My102”.
102.3 K272GC weak, sport content
102.7 KDDB 4/5 Top 40 music “Da Bomb”
103.5 KLUU 4/5 Christian music “K-Love” HD. 2 stations both in stereo with religious music
103.9 ??? 5/5 talk
104.3 KPHW 4/5 Top 40 & Hip Hop “Power 1043”
104.7 K284AL 1/5 rock music (heard AC/DC). May have been KONI from Maui.
105.1 KINE 5/5 HD “Hawaiian105” 2 stations both with Hawaiian music
105.9 KPOI 4/5 “1059 The Wave” easy listening
106.5 ??? 3/5 music. May have been Y106.5 from Maui
106.7 ??? 5/5 no audio
107.5 K298BA 5/5 jazz music “Jazzy 1075”
107.9 KKOL 4/5 Classic hits music”Decades107.9”

5 Likes

C91.3 FM Campbelltown, 88.3 WS & 100.3 2MCR all currently off air after thunderstorm.
Major power outage in Razorback area.
Hearing 91.3 2PNN Lithgow faintly.
Also 100.9 Connect FM - Bankstown off air. Sky Racing Radio Bathurst being heard on 100.9
And finally 88.9 Radio Skid Row with no audio.

That’s quite a list.

Also there’s currently a slight tropo lift to the Southern Highlands & Illawara areas from Sydney.

5 Likes

So are all the Razorback & Picton DTV services, the backup generator at the C91.3 site didn’t start, taking C91.3 & the DTV services off air, Picton DTV site gets its input from the Razorback site.
88.3 WSFM is up the road further, don’t think they have backup power?

4 Likes

Just read your post as I posted the same as you in the Random Radio thread Re the storm outage at Razorback.

Just caught the last two minutes of Sky Sports Radio Bathurst, much stronger than 2BS fm.
100.9 Connect fm has just come back online.

I also had News Radio Lithgow on the car radio, it was very weak, but first time I have had anything from the town site.

1 Like

I never hear anything out of 91.3 Lithgow down here. The site overlooking Lithgow town from memory is at or near Braceys Lookout, on the north face of the ridge where Hassans Walls is located. Hassans Walls to the south is higher than Braceys so that probably explains why I can’t hear it. It probably gets out ever- so-slightly better towards Sydney.

Just plugged the coordinates into Google Maps and it looks like it’s on the northwestern face of that ridge; would still have the ridges west of Hassans Walls obstructing the path to Bungendore a bit.

Yes I realised shortly after my post, that you had made a similar post :slight_smile:

Yes I was surprised at how strong it was too.

Also noted not long ago.

The enhanced signals from Goulburn, Southern Highlands & Illawara appear to now be back to near normal levels…

Think I’ve had 89.7 Sky Sports Radio Lithgow once. But like you 91.3 2PNN is also a first. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Lithgow town site for Tv and fm radio is reservoir Hill approximately 100m ASL
Hassan’s Walls is approximately another 150m higher.

Also the ERP is only 100W so that is going directly into a hill face towards both our directions. TV coming from the same is obstructed to the east, and my brother in law who lives at Little Hartley has to rely on VSAT as the Lithgow town tv transmitter doesn’t make it even close to his location.

Anyway getting 91.3 2PNN Lithgow at my location is quite an achievement.

3 Likes

I once had 89.7 SKY Sports from Lithgow up here near Newcastle during some very strong inland ducting, but that was the only local Lithgow station other than 107.9 that I’ve ever received and only on that one time (about 5-6 years ago now).

3 Likes

88.3 WSFM & 100.3 2MCR are now back on air.
Not sure what time 88.3 WS returned, but 2MCR returned to air
a little earlier this morning.
88.9 2RSR is also broadcasting program content this morning, so it’s
back to usual ops for the lower powered stations.

I think 2DAY/2MMM is still operating from Gore Hill.
Perhaps a long evening for @RFBurns after the lightning strike at Artarmon.

3 Likes

We got things under control about 10:30pm last night, so I called it a day then, repairs to various things at Artarmon will continue well into the week as we get parts.

Yes SCA are still at Gore Hill & might be for a couple of days yet, depending on what we find this morning & how easy/quickly it can be repaired.

3 Likes

A quiet night on the dx front with only some weak enhancements from Canberra, 102.3 Classic fm, and the Orange Nationals.
2BA Batemans Bay is also in but very weak.

Tomorrow looks to be the main event according to the 11pm EDST / 12pm GMT Hepburn Forecast.

This will be the best chance for NZ Tropo with the paths for both Auckland and Northlands to Sydney / Illawarra and Hunter Coasts being strong to very strong. Late evening to midnight would be the best time to try.

Pity 91.6 is occupied by the TCL as 91.6 More fm Northlands is the most common catch for me. 91.8 More fm Auckland is a rarer catch for me for some reason.

Bald Hill at Stanwell Park would be the pick of spots for NZ tropo if this comes off.

For more local tropo for people in Sydney I think it will be more northerly signals, tomorrow evening, Newcastle, Port Stephens, Middle Brother, and the Illawarra. Orange may also be enhanced.

Canberra / Goulburn doesn’t look as good with areas of unstable signal over these areas, possibly being disrupted by the approaching front on Tuesday which will bring more Thunderstorms.

What are peoples thoughts?

3 Likes

Yeah…I thought overnight tropo enhancement might have been a bit better.
Early this morning enhancements to Orange & Bathurst directions with some RDS.
Only very weak enhancements to Goulburn & Canberra
Only reception of note was 92.5 2ABCRN Portland over Music FM which is rare for me.

91.6 The Arabic language religious broadcaster (short termer) will be part of the spectrum landscape until early March.

NZ Tropo might be worth a try overnight.

3 Likes

No NZ tropo in Coffs but tropo was strong enough for Tamworth to boom in.

4 Likes

Speaking of lightning and transmitter sites:

This is the storm video of the season.

5 Likes

Not the only transmission site to be hit on Saturday night.

Very impressive, with both the BAI guyed fm tower, and WIN tv tower taking hits at the same time.

Was there any interruption to tv and fm Radio from Knights Hill on Saturday night from the lightning strikes?

1 Like

Mt Cenn Cruaich into Brisbane, all 4 ABC stations; 102.3 the strongest (Mt Dowe also booming in).

2 Likes