AM and FM DX

I did some work at the mobile sites on Guyra Hill and Ben Lomond years ago and yes they were great DX sites - Guyra Hill gets snow most winters and an interesting feature at Ben Lomond back then was a grass airstrip with lots of fresh aircraft tyre marks. The airstrip is likely used for high altitude takeoff/landing flying training. Guyra Hill mobile base also has snake warning signs which is interesting for such a harsh site.

2 Likes

The mean annual temperature in Guyra is only a little cooler than in Bungendore (and we get plenty of snakes here). Armidale has an identical annual average temp to here. When you add in the very high sun angle in summer up there itā€™s fairly amenable to the serpent population.

2 Likes

Interesting RE 100.1 2SBS from Murrurundi - that TX has been like a yoyo since first going to air. I remember hearing it in 2012 during my trip to Tamworth, and it was just an open carrier (a rather buzzy one with AC hum on the audio), rather decent signal DX wise, had it at a hill above Tuggerah Lakes plenty of times during tropo, and the Mount Helen signals do travel quite well, being a great site altitude wise. Iā€™ve been to the same lookout there in Tamworth a while back now.

2 Likes

Just thought Iā€™d mention that the water front and especially the wharf at Kincumber provides a good spot for FM and AM DX.

Just thought Iā€™d post a band scan and some info.
From there it seems to have a good path to the south, with the Sydney community FM stations coming in noise free and in stereo.

87.6 - mix of Faith FM Gosford and LPON River FM from Kurrajong Heights (depending where the receiver is), River FM can be heard in the null of Mount Penang 87.6 (which is easy due to the path back that way being blocked by the land).
87.8 - a mix of 87.8 Radio Austral (not sure which TX site was making the trip) and LPON Raw FM from Tumbi, aka The Ridgeway.
88.0 - Raw FM Collaroy Plateau TX mixing with other TX site

Now, the community stations that are not or barely receivable on other parts of the coast:
88.5 2RRR Ryde
88.7 2MWM Terry Hills (with a great signal of 40 dBu
88.9 2RSR Skid Row
89.7 Eastside Radio
90.1 2NBC
90.3 2MWM Tania Park TX (50 w translator)
90.5 had Alive 90.5 Baulkham Hills mixing with 2HD/t from Tingira Heights (aka Belmont north)
98.1 News Radio (local, Somersby) suffers severe CCI with i98 Illawarra due to TX shading and multi path causing an effect where both signals can be heard clearly simultaneously!
99.9 SWR FM Blacktown
100.1 2HHH Hornsby
100.3 Macarthur
100.5 Kings Cross TX dominates the frequency here
100.7 2WOW Penrith
100.9 Yagooona FM ā€˜2BACRā€™

On the AM band, or more specifically the extended AM band (1611-1701 KHz)
1611 KHz has a strong signal of Vision Radio from Bathurst
1629 KHz had Unforgettable 1629 Newcastle mixing with another service, causing a rumble of carriers.
801 KHz Chittaway Point

3 Likes

Interesting observationsā€¦ ive never considered Harrys Wharf at Kincumber as a possible DX site since its neither elevated or on the coast. Iā€™ve always gone for Marie Byles Lookout at Killcare Heights, which gives very good results particularly to the south.

Iā€™ll try Kincumber next time Iā€™m down there.

1 Like

Hi DXā€™s on the Eastern Side of Australia Iā€™m after a signal quality report of 1530 2VM Moree :studio_microphone::radio:

We have today put on air the main transmitter that was gifted to us from 2RE going FM and Iā€™m wondering if anyone can notice a difference in the signal strength and quality :man_shrugging:

Cheers in advance :+1:

3 Likes

Perfectly clear reception in Brisbane at 7pm

3 Likes

Had some time at Oā€™Reillys to do some DXing

88.0 god squad weak
88.5 ABC Classic Gold Coast strong
88.7 ABC Classic Nambour weak
88.9 Breeze Canungra weak
89.3 4CRB Gold Coast strong
89.5 JJJ Nambour weak
89.7 TEN FM Tenterfield strong
90.1 ABCRN Gold Coast strong
90.3 ABC SC Nambour weak
90.5 ABCRN Tenterfield weak
ā€“REBEL905 Beaudesert weak
90.7 ABCNR Grafton weak
90.9 SEA90.9 Gold Coast strong
91.1 HOT 91.1 Nambour strong
91.3 2MAXFM Narrabri weak
91.5 SENTRACK Darling Dns weak
91.7 ABC GC Gold Coast strong
91.9 SEA FM Nambour weak
92.1 BREEZE Beaudesert weak
92.5 92.5 MMM Gold Coast strong
92.7 MIX Nambour weak
92.9 Voice Toowoomba weak
93.3 SBSRadio Brisbane strong
93.7 REBEL937 Canungra weak
ā€” REBEL937 Tenterfield weak
94.1 94.1FM Gold Coast strong
94.5 ABC Nambour weak
ā€”ABC Tweed strong
94.9 River949 Ipswich strong
95.3 ABC Classic Tweed strong
95.7 ABC NR Gold Coast strong
95.9 2KY Gunnedah weak
96.1 JJJ Tweed strong
96.3 ABC Warwick vweak
96.5 96five Brisbane strong
96.7 ABC Classic U Namoi strong
96.9 ABC RN Tweed strong
97.3 KIIS973 Brisbane strong
97.7 JJJ Gold Coast strong
97.9 ABC Classic Coffs Hbr weak
98.1 4EB Brisbane strong
98.5 ABC Tweed strong
98.9 4AAA Brisbane strong
99.1 ABC U Namoi strong
99.4 REBEL994 Tamborine strong
99.7 Bridge FM Redcliffe weak
99.9 JJJ U Namoi strong
100.1 RimFM Boonah weak
100.6 Breeze Tamborine weak
100.7 Hit Toowoomba weak
101.1 101FM Logan weak
101.7 ABC Classic Sth Downs strong
102.1 ZZZ Brisbane weak
102.5 BREEZE Tenterfield weak
102.9 1029 HOT Gold Coast strong
103.3 JJJ Sth Downs strong
103.7 MBS Brisbane strong
104.1 JJJ Darling Dns strong
104.5 MMM Brisbane strong
104.9 ABC Sth Downs strong
105.3 B105 Brisbane strong
105.7 METRO Gold Coast strong
106.1 ABC Classic Brisbane strong
106.5 ABCRN Sth Downs strong
106.9 Nova1069 Brisbane strong
107.3 Juice1073 Gold Coast strong
107.7 JJJ Brisbane strong

6 Likes

Where is that bandscan from? Iā€™m guessing Oā€™Reillyā€™s retreat in the Lamington NP?

2 Likes

Yes that would be it. Another location Iā€™m yet to check out in the Hinterland.

I was however up on Tamborine yesterday, but sadly didnā€™t get a chance to do much DXing while playing tour guide. Though from what I did hear, I donā€™t think 88.9 Breeze is from Eagle Heights as listed. We camped out at Fortitude Brewing for a bit and the signal in the carpark was scratchy despite it apparently coming from the tower next door. I wonder if itā€™s actually from the site servicing Canungra at Laheyā€™s Lookout, but didnā€™t have a chance to confirm.

Also managed to receive RDS level reception from Toowoomba on the western ridge sitting at The Polish Place restaurant. Confirmed that 92.9 and 102.7 do indeed have RDS, but again couldnā€™t decode 95.5 4WK although I did at least hear it this time. If not for the local Rebel translator I wonder if 93.7 TAB might have been heard too - I have had this with RDS reception up on Mt Glorious before despite its low power.

3 Likes

I have asked this before I think, but is 91.3 MHz Eagle Heights on air? I assume not.

I have never been to the GC hinterland apart from a very brief excursion to the bit directly north of Murwillumbah (via Crystal Creek) over 20 years ago. I was with the family then so had no control over where we went; from memory we literally just crossed into Toadland and turned back (we were staying in the Byron hinterland).

Another place I havenā€™t checked out is the Comboyne Plateau, which is about 700 m ASL north of Taree and SW of Port Macquarie. Obscenely wet and lush compared to Bungendore which is also at 700 m. Results should be good to the north and south, since it towers above the surrounding coastal plains. I will probably check it out on my next trip to the MNC.

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed that 4TAB from Bundaberg seem to be stronger over recent weeks. Perhaps, a change at the transmitter, or brought up to specs - it is now seems at the same level as the 2 commercials whereas it previously used to harder to receive.

3 Likes

Perhaps @4TAB-1008kHz is around to comment?

2 Likes

Late to your response, but no 91.3 is not on-air. Itā€™s one of the few good clear frequencies not adjacent anything powerful (Sunny Coast aside) we have here as a result.

2 Likes

After having a quick AM bandscan tonight here in Moree NSW I pose the question. What AM Frequencies suffer the most from co channelling at night making the signals unusable where you are ?

For me the worst one is 1332 where both 3SH & 4BU clobber each other every night :crescent_moon:

900, 1026 & 630 are also quite messy here as well

2 Likes

On AM, yes, 900 for me too, and also 1206 with 2GF Grafton and 2CC Canberra mixing here in Newcastle. Though that wonā€™t be an issue for much longer!

1 Like

Being further north I can null both signals from each other as their signals are nearly at 90 degreeā€™s from each other

2 Likes

This was an interesting one for me during the Lismore floods when 900 2LM was taken off air as it was the first time I ever head 8HA from Alice Springs (one again being on right angels from Lithgow & Tassie)

3 Likes

Oh good get! Iā€™ve never heard NT radio outside of the Northern Territory.

2 Likes

666 is a real mess here in Brisbane with 4CC Bilo and Canberra both coming in well. And despite its closeness, 4WK on 963 is tough at night as 2RG comes in right behind it (you have to aim in the same direction). 1584 is also messy as thereā€™s two low-power TXs both within QLD on that frequency alone.

2 Likes