AM and FM DX

OMG!!!

I just very briefly discovered 2ST on 102.9 (instead of the local KOFM!).

They were playing “Devil Gate Drive” which I cross checked with 91.7, and lo and behold!

This null is REALLY hard to find, and I’ve had trouble replicating it since, but 102.9 is sounding quite mushy in some spots at my place tonight, so 2ST is definitely causing KO just a bit grief here tonight :blush:

1 Like

That is a really good catch there on getting 2ST over KO in Charlestown! :thumbsup:

At my home, I’m getting KO over 2ST on 102.9 when connected with the TV antenna (ie. not the rotatable one) pointed towards Sydney, but when connected with the rotatable antenna that is currently pointing south, 2ST dominates the frequency with KO heard underneath.

On a sidenote, I’m getting Great Lakes FM quite clear through my rotatable antenna, despite it being pointed in the opposite direction, as well as getting 100.9 PSFM (over 2BACR Bansktown) & 97.5 2HD from Nelson Bay.

2 Likes

It seems that tonight is a very good night for FM DXing in Sydney & the surrounds.

I don’t know how I missed this one earlier but I’m getting Rhema FM Newcastle on 99.7 instead of 2SSR. Oddly enough, my signal of Rhema 99.7 is in better reception (clearer stereo) than 2NUR-FM but there you go.

The lower powered Central Coast FM stations are also in better reception than usual in this location tonight. Even 92.5 ABC Central Coast and 98.1 ABC NewsRadio are making appearances, but the highlight in all that is getting RDS from 96.3 Coast FM (which I don’t think I’ve received at home before).

That’s maybe because Rhema 99.7 doesn’t transmit from Mt Sugarloaf, in which it instead transmits from a separate transmitter about 6km south of Mt Sugarloaf along the Sugarloaf Range.

Tech details about Rhema 99.7’s TX: http://web.acma.gov.au/pls/radcom/assignment_search.lookup?pEFL_ID=1598978

1 Like

That’s correct.
In my experience Rhema 99.7 has a better signal southwards than what 2NUR does.

And as I have a better line of sight towards Rhemas Tx than I do towards Sugarloaf, my Teccy gives me higher readings (max 67db strength, 52db SNR) for Rhema than I can get for ANY other station, including the ABCs.

Let’s hope for more nights like tonight soon!

1 Like

I wonder what is the record for most Triple Ms at once now? It’s bound to be a higher number than the Hit stations, given that the AM stations in the network will travel further.

I just checked and got a very very scratchy signal on 963am, but was able to get a Triple M id - so I have triple Triple Ms that I have received at home - Bendigo, Melbourne and Limestone Coast.

3 Likes

963kHz is also the artist formerly known as 2RG, now Triple M Griffith. So there’s two Triple Ms in similarly receivable distance on exactly the same frequency

Best I guess I’ve nailed would be four by that measure, which would have been somewhere around Narrandera on the Newell last week. I had 963 from Griffith, 1152 from Wagga, 95.3 from Shep and 101.9 from Orange - though the overlap between the last two is very small

1 Like

Night time AM would certainly tip the scale towards the Ms in most areas. Not sure in SEQ as Gold Coast and Sunshine Coat did not change and the Hit stations in adjacent areas have relays but the MMMs don’t.

Well I kinda dismissed 963 as being Griffith based on distance and then your post made me think - “if it was Griffith then I’d be getting the Wagga station as well”.

And then I actually checked 1152 and got one of the things I didn’t think I’d ever hear, “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” followed up with a Triple M id.

So make that four.

2 Likes

4GR (obviously) and 2WG are easy catches in Brisbane but anything on 963 has to battle 4WK.

1 Like

…especially when it’s also on 963 and Bill’s let the directional antenna off again, sending full power towards Griffith and Mt Gambier.

During winter, a big problem to 2RG and 5SE’s breakfast shows.

1 Like

I reckon somewhere up around Mt Macedon / Kyneton VIC would be “Triple M Country”. There you could probably have yourself

105.1 Melbourne
93.5 Bendigo
95.3 Shepparton
105.7 Albury (with a bit of luck?)
1152 Wagga Wagga
963 Griffith or Mt Gambier
864 Toowoomba (at night)

With some ducting, maybe add in
97.9 Mildura
107.3 Hobart

Don’t you mean 105.1? 101.9 is the frequency for JJJ Orange.

1 Like

Well I received three SCA now MMM Stations on AM, if you include 105.1.

I received these back in April.

963 2RG Southern Cross radio, faint to good.

1152 2WG Southern Cross Radio, coming in faintly.

Will check tonight if I get the others.

Sounds good - somewhere with stations N, S, E and W. Hobart 7RPH might block 4GR.

1 Like

Another evening of tropo from Newcastle, Port Stephens, Forster & Taree (Middle Brother) coming up, with FM stations being received from those locations.

2 Likes

I had NZ tropo briefly this afternoon on 91.6,93.2 and 103.4, before a mass of storms rolled off the ranges and killed all tropo to the south and east. As TV-E noted above, North Coast tropo is still on the go.

NZ Tropo is back with a vengeance! 91.4/98.6/103.4 are in at 2 bars strength. No Auckland or Kaitaia yet.

1 Like

Some record levels for me tonight on the Teccy here at Charlestown:

C91.3 hit 50db
100.3 2MCR at 43db
88.3 WS at 36db
96.1 The Edge at 44db

Nearly all Sydney community stations in stereo.

And a new catch - 2MVH Moss Vale in a null of 92.5 ABC Central Coast

Another first time catch!

103.7 Sky Sports Radio from Nowra
(in a null of 2NUR)